• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on a CMX and review

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
you snapped a belt...is this a narrow or a wide belt? thanks

Spoke too soon, snapped a belt last week and didn't have the right allen key on me to swap in the spare.
[/QUOTE]

D

dieselpower

Dec 12, 2008
Bellingham, Wa
Can anyone comment on Yeti vs CMX?

Weight, performance, maneuverability.

I've been riding Yeti's for 4 years and am willing to make a switch but hoping for some feedback .

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I've owned both and like them about equal. In my opinion, these are the two top kits on the market. The belt drives roll very easy on both. Yeti is slightly lighter, but the CMX isn't far behind and both are lighter than other kits on the market. I'd venture to say CMX is slightly more robust. CMX is also very modular and can easily be upgraded with year to year improvements.

The riding manners are a bit different between the two. Though much of that can be adjusted and they have a wide overlap, I'd say the CMX is the more playful of the kit. Dial low preload on the rear skid shock and you can wheelie with the throttle. Dial more preload, and front stays down more and deep snow performance improves.

The Yeti kit seems to ride faster. That is the big difference between the two. CMX uses the power playfully; Yeti uses the power for forward propulsion. Seems to be at the core of the design of each. I am comfortably riding way faster on the Yeti. Sometimes I miss the CMX playfulness, sometimes I like the characteristics of the Yeti. Wish I could have one of each! I'll run this Yeti for a few years then maybe be back on a CMX as Mark keeps making great refinements each year. New spindle, then new ski, new track, new polymer belt drive cover, etc. I love both of these kit brands.

Again, both can be adjusted to change how they handle, but in my opinion, the core manners of each are as described.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I've owned both and like them about equal. In my opinion, these are the two top kits on the market. The belt drives roll very easy on both. Yeti is slightly lighter, but the CMX isn't far behind and both are lighter than other kits on the market. I'd venture to say CMX is slightly more robust. CMX is also very modular and can easily be upgraded with year to year improvements.

The riding manners are a bit different between the two. Though much of that can be adjusted and they have a wide overlap, I'd say the CMX is the more playful of the kit. Dial low preload on the rear skid shock and you can wheelie with the throttle. Dial more preload, and front stays down more and deep snow performance improves.

The Yeti kit seems to ride faster. That is the big difference between the two. CMX uses the power playfully; Yeti uses the power for forward propulsion. Seems to be at the core of the design of each. I am comfortably riding way faster on the Yeti. Sometimes I miss the CMX playfulness, sometimes I like the characteristics of the Yeti. Wish I could have one of each! I'll run this Yeti for a few years then maybe be back on a CMX as Mark keeps making great refinements each year. New spindle, then new ski, new track, new polymer belt drive cover, etc. I love both of these kit brands.

Again, both can be adjusted to change how they handle, but in my opinion, the core manners of each are as described.
I do have one of each with both machines often on the hill at the same time , Yes the Yeti is much faster and does climbs better, The weight of the CMX has increased with the new spindle and there is a 29 lb delta between the two weighed on same digital scale , The Camso Yeti track is 5 lbs lighter than the CMX and spools quicker with Yeti being a more powder oriented track flex design , The CMX track is stiffer and excels in firmer or less deep snow over the Yeti track .The CMX is better for doing 180,s since it has more ski lift and a non coupled suspension so for trick riding the CMX shines. CMX is tough however keep up with the bolt tightening as they need attention.we had had several failures from bolts loosening, After spending countless hours on both the CMX belt drive cover width is annoying and wont allow good foot position.Side by side on same new 450 SX the Yeti walks away from my CMX except in set or firm snow where the stiffer track hooks up better , My CMX needs to poach the yeti track on deep powder days and climbs.We notice in our videos the CMX drive shaft is soo low it augers and wont pop to the surface in the deep and the Yeti geometry climbs to the surface very well . In the past Yeti had weak issues in the front arm which they changed to steel, All new Hays brakes which are covered now and the belt drive floats which stays in perfect alignment all the time ,Yeti finally has address all the gremlins. My CMX was king when the new track came out and Yeti was running the Maxtrack II however it falls behind the Yeti in 2020. The CMX has lots of tail kick through the woops on the trail , Stating it doesn't need more suspension is a cop out ,The Soft strut on the yeti allows for much faster speeds through the same bump section . CMX will need to step up and Add a third shox to keep up with technology of other brands , Both handle great with same ski pressure and turning feel . Both Belt drives are solid and have the same efficiency however rolling resistance of the yeti is far better due to the extrovert drivers and more flexible track that allow the track tension to run much looser without ratcheting , Both fun to ride with Yeti staying flatter and propelling forward as opposed to CMX lifting ski more and better for tricks.Few will tell the truth about these kits and provide a real non biased comparison.Few have both to ride in altering conditions daily,This forum is to help riders pick the best kit for the intended type of terrain they wish to encounter.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut

Do the brakes work on a cmx ?

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes the CMX brakes always had pressure, never a failure however they do ice up since the rotor is exposed . The 2020 Yeti work perfect and have rotor cover as well .

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Yes the CMX brakes always had pressure, never a failure however they do ice up since the rotor is exposed . The 2020 Yeti work perfect and have rotor cover as well .
See we have had issues with the 2020 yeti even with the cover in super deep snow...

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Wh
See we have had issues with the 2020 yeti even with the cover in super deep snow...

What issues? we have had flawless braking all winter with no icing, First year Yeti has resolved the ongoing brake drama.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Pretty sure the pads freeze over or the caliper freezes then burns through pads... the plastic piece was getting ripped off...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Pretty sure the pads freeze over or the caliper freezes then burns through pads... the plastic piece was getting ripped off...

Figured it out... when snow gets on the master cylinder on the bars it causes the issue... when I cover the master with bar mitts no issue... so ice has to be getting in some how... weird... maybe this is a 1 off...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The CMX is a good kit yes but I have also seen ALOT of belts break on those this season. They have there updated belt drive deal for the older ones but thats not cheap. After riding the ARO 3 in all varieties of conditions I can tell you for a fact that the 3 inch track is not only good in powder, that 3 inch track straight up rips in all conditions and is way better than the 2.5 track in every aspect. I would encourage you to try the ARO 3 before you make those claims about the 3 inch track, they might not want to admit it at CMX but its phenomenal. Also try the riot because its also an amazing kit! Im buying aro 3 100%, its the best kit ive ridden and i have been on pretty much every kit! Anyways all snowbikes are amazing and whatever kit you might be on, your gonna have a blast if your riding a snowbike thats forsure!
What region do you ride in?

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Figured it out... when snow gets on the master cylinder on the bars it causes the issue... when I cover the master with bar mitts no issue... so ice has to be getting in some how... weird... maybe this is a 1 off...

Must be getting some moisture in the system. I would try some higher quality DOT 5 fluid. One of my dirt riding buddies is AA rider and he would always need to run the high end stuff. He was paying like $30 a pint vs the $15 stuff that worked fine for me.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For sure running high quality autoparts dot 5.. sp way cheaper ...so far been great everywhere else... funny on the SS we have no issues so I am sure the master has something going on ...

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
For sure running high quality autoparts dot 5.. sp way cheaper ...so far been great everywhere else... funny on the SS we have no issues so I am sure the master has something going on ...

We have been running high end Motul racing brake fluid, Levers are far more solid and no failures even on the SS .We also run it on the dirt bikes and left hand brake systems we design work much better with the fluid.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I think the 2020 Yeti SS did not come with pre-bled and attached master cylinder, correct?

The Freerides did. My 129FR didnt even need me to bleed it, which I expected it to need even though it's pre-bled and i did not open/disconnect it at all. I just routed the brakeline, attached master cylindarr and it just plabe worked.

[Edit: just realized this yeti brake conversation is in the CMX thread. Someone start a new yeti brake thread if further conversation is needed. Let's leave this thread for CMX discussion and/or comparisons to other kits, but take the non-CMX technical talk to a new thread]

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
This is my last post on it the brake issue is on a 2020 freeride to be clear...

Premium Features