• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Yamahas, 2 Strokes are back

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
It's not really a Yamaha 2 stroke unless it's got a Yamaha 2 stroke motor. It's just a blue colored Arctic Cat.

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
They have special warranty for anything spring checked..

Here is the rest of the “Special warranty “
That does not mean you get any more warranty If you snow check. 1 year only same as the cats

SPECIAL EARLY-SEASON WARRANTY EXTENSION
A special warranty extension is available for all new Yamaha snowmobiles purchased between May 1 and November 30.

All new Yamaha snowmobiles purchased between May 1 and November 30 will have the warranty extended to November 30 of the following year.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Even though 99% of the sled is Cat, the upside is, you don't have to deal with Arctic Cat, you get a decent chassis, motor and track. And the from the sounds of it, Yamaha's tuning which supposedly makes it run butter smooth. I think it's a win.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Why does Yamaha even bother? The sled is basically all Arctic Cat, which puts it last versus Doo and Poo. Seems like Yamaha should just bail on the two stroke sled thing unless they produce their own motor.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I have no industry in site, just an old making an out of my a$$ guess, but I think textron will sell it all to Yamaha and get out of the sled business entirely. Alpha is a good sled, and at the very least it gives Yamaha dealers a product to sell in the winter.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
It's not really a Yamaha 2 stroke unless it's got a Yamaha 2 stroke motor. It's just a blue colored Arctic Cat.

Some of the younger ones on this forum may see the day when only one manufacturer remains.
My hope is that when that happens, other brands purchase these machines and continue to brand them as their own (just as Yamaha is doing)
This trend could even bring some former players back into the game.
JD Pro anyone?IMG_1035.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
yama had nicer plastics during the proclimb years, yall think the ascender was 100% cat's idea? like, since the 80s theve had THE WORST fit/finsh in the industry, then turned 360 in 2018 all on their own? nah... the partnership is a good thing no matter whos motors in it.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Cat still has the worst fit and finish imo. Look in front of the bars. Thats ot fit and finish. That's an ugly mess yhat they crammed a nylon bag in the middle of that needs to be bigger. Been there going on 10 years worth of sleds. When it gets to this fall we'll probably find its on the 22s.

We'll see if the partnership is good. Both have shown they aren't willing to go overboard in the mountain market.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
There is nothing special about that 800 ctec either. They can't keep them together around here.. Yamaha is doing this 100% for their dealers. Their dealers have been fighting with corporate for years to bring back 2 strokes. Yamaha refuses to build an engine that can't be used on multiple platforms ie ATV, SXS, PWC.. 2 stroke doesn't excel in any other market.. So they compromised.

Some look at it as a step in the right direction.. I'm not entirely sure.. I'll just wait this one out I think.

R
Feb 26, 2008
Cat still has the worst fit and finish imo. Look in front of the bars. Thats ot fit and finish. That's an ugly mess yhat they crammed a nylon bag in the middle of that needs to be bigger. Been there going on 10 years worth of sleds. When it gets to this fall we'll probably find its on the 22s.

We'll see if the partnership is good. Both have shown they aren't willing to go overboard in the mountain market.

What exactly are you talking about?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Yamaha will not like snow inside the top intake screens. Maybe Yamaha will take steps to cure this?

It takes a real fine, dry powder to make it in there, combined with fast cruising speeds.
I have never seen it while tree riding.
20200314_094603.jpg

Sent it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

people love the bag, most reviewers, so yes it probably will be there for a while. I use it for cell phone, pull it out in spring and put the sno pro vent in its place so heat can pour out. that proabaly the only area the proclimb looks a little better put together than the ascender. i think they rushed the ascender there. good fit finish as a polaris, skidoo gets the nod for best imo. which is why doesnt suprise me if they cost more. Except that cheesy 80s graphic calculator sized guage, WTF is that? Cat/Yama got em beat good there.

Last edited:
T
Nov 8, 2008
St Albert
Just thinking if you want an Alpha...buy from Yamaha as Textron is in this business like every other manufacturer to make $$. I feel for the Artic Cat dealers as this is a huge kick in the nuts to dual brand the 1 product you actually have demand for? Either way, we all hope Yamaha buys Textron' rec division [ ie Artic Cat] and keep their mountain sled R&D and sorry but CAT is done...feel for the dealers but no parts or support for anything non current. Again...just my thoughts as I luv ed the Suzuki but it is gone too,,,,

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I guess I don't get how you think Yamaha is any better. What have they done? I have a good friend who is a yamaha dealer and he always says you would think they would come out here and see what works and build something he could sell.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Hearing from a dealer, yamaha bought the chassis from cat. Going forward it seems that textron wants out of sleds and wants to sell it too. The deal is stuck since yamaha wants the factories if they buy arctic cat the brand so they can build them in the us. But, textron does not want to sell production to yamaha. In any case, it is likely the cat brand will disappear in the future. This is good for producers and bad for customers. Sled prices will continue to go up as industry power is consolidated. That is not something to root for. Diversity of product is great even for polaris and doo buyers.

Hopefully Yamaha finally wakes up and builds a bad ass sled. If anyone of these companies can build a motor, it is them. While this is a cheap step back in the segment, it is an indication that yamaha wants back in, and that is a win. The one thing everyone can appreciate about yamaha, is their production quality. The cat sled is where it is today from a quality standpoint because yamaha helped. I am not excited about this sled to be honest. I am interested to see what yamaha does next now that they have committed to building mountain sleds again.

So, if you are listening Mr. Yamaha, please step up and build a sled that can rival the next generation of sleds as the g4 and axys are mid product life cycle and trending towards becoming stale. The target is not the next year sled or the turbo. It is the one beyond the horizon that is less weight, focused on efficiency so as to instill rider confidence by incorporating innovative technologies. I have ideas. PM me if you want.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
In the 80’s Yamaha was leading the market. Vmax, SRV, Exciter, and Phazer were way ahead of the market. My Dad and I both had Phazers and Exciters we added 136 tracks to. They were great sleds. Only the 700 Mountain Max has been decent since IMO. I would love to see Yamaha come back into the market with another industry changing sled like the Phazer was. I have rode Polaris since 93, but a little of my heart is still blue.

Premium Features