• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

electrical gremlin

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I noticed the part numbers the same. I ordered one too. The fact that they look different from the stock ones means there's a chance!

Makes a little bit of sense considering this issue gets worse with time. Might be wearing that little white plastic plate/bladder out.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Just for a reference to other sleds.
I had a broken injector wire on my Alpha.
Sled was off for at least 30min maybe an hr before i removed the fuel line from the fuel rail. There did not seem to be any pressure as i pulled the line, as fuel just dribbled out.

Sent it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
is it something you can change on the trail? my buddies are gonna have a good laugh at me someday when i say Hold on guys, looks like i gotta replace my Quantum Regulator real quick here...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
is it something you can change on the trail? my buddies are gonna have a good laugh at me someday when i say Hold on guys, looks like i gotta replace my Quantum Regulator real quick here...

Hey if they don't understand the need to maintain 1.21 gigawatts, it's their loss.

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Just for a reference to other sleds.
I had a broken injector wire on my Alpha.
Sled was off for at least 30min maybe an hr before i removed the fuel line from the fuel rail. There did not seem to be any pressure as i pulled the line, as fuel just dribbled out.

Sent it

same here... maybe a teaspoonful leaked out/ran out when removing the fuel line from the top of the pump housing under 20 psi pressure. It doesn't take much extra fuel volume in the line to have pressure.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Got the quantum regulator and rubber doohickey in, along with a new high pressure/high temp fuel line and pressure gauge. Pics below compare the two. Quantum definitely builds different pieces. Quantum on left, stock on right.
There's a check valve and like matt said, very different materials on the face of the bladder on the other side. There's also a second o-ring that the stock one doesn't have. The rubber isolator is just completely different.

I'll update once I get a chance to let it cook and sit. Right now, running pressure is just under 45psi, and then hangs out around 20psi when turned off, then drops slowly.

Quantum_regulator.jpg

quantum_reg2.jpg

Last edited:

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Seems to hold fuel pressure a little better once you have run it for a while to get all the air out of the system (takes a while after having it apart). I couldn't get the regulator to install deep enough with the 2nd o-ring in place to get the plastic retaining cap to snap back on... so removed the 2nd o-ring from the quantum product to make it fit like the stock regulator. Quantum's rubber isolator fits more snugly than the spongy "hose" they use from cat. Maybe it wil soften up with time & fuel exposure but seems like a much better seal than stock for sure. Will be a few weeks (or more) yet until i get back on the snow to confirm...but still optimistic that I will see less hot-start issues.... unless my injectors also leak fuel pressure when hot. :unsure: Always something else to consider! :ROFLMAO:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Leaky injectors would cause flooding. Every single time I get one of the heat soaked non-start issues, the plug that I can get to on the exhaust side is bone dry. I suppose it could be leaking on the clutch side....

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Leaky injectors would cause flooding. Every single time I get one of the heat soaked non-start issues, the plug that I can get to on the exhaust side is bone dry. I suppose it could be leaking on the clutch side....

Let's hope not... don't want to spend $800 for a pair of injectors next. :oops:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
They're exactly the same. I just bought a square pair off someone who installed a supercharger on a 2016 as soon as he bought it for $80.

It would be nice to send the ones I have in to be measured and then we'd have a baseline for testing the ones cat hasn't blessed.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Not sure what to think of this one. Got a good hard day in and overheated the sled a bit running WOT for a long time just to get up a road with about 3-4 ft of fresh on it. I stopped for a bit once I could and got a no start after some burbles. Tried the hot start switch on the coolant sensor and ended up flooding it. Burned off some fuel and got it started finally. It was so overheated initially that it did it a few more times throughout the day but would basically just need to cool down then it would run. But it's definitely getting a reading and then shutting off when it's hot. Previously I'd get nothing but now it's at least burbling then dying fairly consistently.

But now my fuel pressure is consistently around 33 psi. That's new, it had been running at 43ish previously. I'm a little scared to take it out again.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
33 is really low.
Did it feel down on power?

Sent it

It did. We just got absolutely hammered with so it's just been full throttle days to get out. Not always the easiest conditions to tell in. It was running 40+ most of the day. Something changed. I've got in the garage and am going to tear into it tomorrow. I'll hook up a battery to the pump and see what's the max pressure I can reach.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Did u check the voltage on the sled while u saw the 33psi?
Not sure if the voltage output on the gauge is the same as the supply to the fuel pump?

Sent it

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've got izzi's reflash done with voltage constantly showing. That looks good in the 13s, mid to high 12s if I have the handwarmers on.

Of the short list of things I still haven't replaced, the coolant temp sensor is one of them. I just ordered one. It reads consistenly high and has since new.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Do u check EGT's?
Low fuel pressure could be from restricted incoming supply (filter plugged or hole in line) or, out going volume is to high (stuck open injector or hole)...

Ofcourse there are other possibilities, low voltage, worn parts, bad seals....etc...

Sent it

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It's not like I have egt bungs in my y-pipe but yeah I can check the pipe temp with the reflashed gauge. But no I didn't check that. Sled has to be running ;). I have voltage, water temp and rpms displayed.

I'm pulling the pump once I run some voltage through it with everything connected. I'll check the pickups too. But this is a new problem. Thinking it might be the quantum regulator I stuck in. It didn't go in easily with the double o-rings. I'm wondering if I caused it to bind or seat crooked or something.

Premium Features