• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Klim warranty is a joke

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I live down the road from the klim headquarters and have a pair of togwotee bibs that are 4 years old and have a tear in the outer layer of the thigh pocket. I dropped off the bibs and asked that they quote me for a repair on the pocket and leak test the bibs because they have been getting soaked from the knee down on the last few rides in deep snow.

They came back and said they will not leak test the goretex because of the tear in the pocket. what a load of crap, they are unrelated. I can’t for the life of me figure what their “lifetime warranty” is good for, they won’t even inspect them because of an unrelated tear.

Plus it’s $70 for the repair, about 1.5” of stitching. Talk about a waste of time and money on their gear if this is how they treat customers.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you have essentially wore them out they will not warranty. When the palms of my gloves wear out (holes) and the seat of my pants are worn out (thin) I don't expect warranty coverage. I did have a pair of boots where the soles began separating (workmanship issue) prior to the boot being worn out, they sent me a brand new pair.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I'd be stoked to have pants that old still worth a damn for a 70 dollar repair that's probably better than what I can do with my sewing machine.

How are they worth a darn when below the knee is like a sponge and then freezes solid?

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
If you have essentially wore them out they will not warranty. When the palms of my gloves wear out (holes) and the seat of my pants are worn out (thin) I don't expect warranty coverage. I did have a pair of boots where the soles began separating (workmanship issue) prior to the boot being worn out, they sent me a brand new pair.

If they were worn out, I wouldn’t bother submitting them for warranty. I haven’t ridden more than 6-8days per year for the majority of the time I’ve owned them, didn’t own my own sled until last March. They say there is a lifetime warranty against workmanship and defects. They are goretex, goretex is water proof. It doesn’t say for just a few years or uses.

I even asked if they could treat them or rewaterproof them, still wouldn’t even test them or discuss any options because of a tear in the pocket that is in no proximity to where they hold water. That is a completely bogus policy, false advertising/representation at best for the sales pitch of lifetime warranty. They should get taken to task over that.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
How are they worth a darn when below the knee is like a sponge and then freezes solid?

That's due to the hole letting snow in isn't it? Fix the hole fix the soak right?

6-8 days a year isn't much. I was assuming much more use in 4 years.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
That's due to the hole letting snow in isn't it? Fix the hole fix the soak right?

6-8 days a year isn't much. I was assuming much more use in 4 years.

so why is the other leg wet too? The hole is in the outer layer of the pocket, mid thigh. It does not go through into the main material of the pant leg. I don’t get wet from the pocket down. I get wet below the knee. From the knee to the top of my boot will be soaked. The thigh and pocket of the pant, even with the hole stays dry and repels snow/water.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Have you washed them and sprayed them with nikwax?
Yep. Washed with the nikwax wash and sprayed. Doesn’t last very long. The goretex isn’t doing it’s job.

Edit: that isn’t a requirement of their warranty, nor is it of goretex. Just worth noting.

i did find some info online that says goretex will standbehind their products. Maybe I’ll send the bibs in to them and see what they say.

Last edited:

powderhound1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lake Tapps
I have heard that using the wash in waterproofer is not a good thing to use, it takes lots of the breathability away so when we sweat we just get the inside wet, wash the garment, dry, spray with treatment on the outside and dry in drier on medium heat, heat makes the waterproofer work better

Feb 8, 2020
If it's a workmanship issue, yes, any company will cover it if the product is warranted for life. But if it is a 'wear and tear' issue, no sane company will give you free service, let's face it.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
If it's a workmanship issue, yes, any company will cover it if the product is warranted for life. But if it is a 'wear and tear' issue, no sane company will give you free service, let's face it.

I wasn’t asking for anything for free, nor was I expecting anything free. Simply asking them to inspect their “lifetime warranty” materials that are no longer waterproof as advertised after maybe 30 days riding, which they refuse to do because of unrelated damage which I would be happy to pay a reasonable price to have repaired.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Simply asking them to inspect their “lifetime warranty” materials that are no longer waterproof as advertised after maybe 30 days riding, which they refuse to do because of unrelated damage which I would be happy to pay a reasonable price to have repaired.

That seems reasonable, and is exactly what they should do.

S
Oct 23, 2019
put the bibs in the dryer thats what they tell you to do to "reactivate" the gore tex. Also ive definitely had gear that lasted way less than 30 days of riding. if you think $70 is too much to fix your pants that you ripped then do it yourself and dont complain

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I've had great luck with Klim warranty.

If you don't want to pay a professional to repair your pants, don't pay them. Get yourself a gortex patch, I have a few patches on my bibs and the patch works great.

And you can buy waterproof sealer and just reseal your bibs.

Premium Features