• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone pulling a 28' Mirage Xtreme Sport with a 1/2 Ton??

J

Joes271

Nov 17, 2014
Green Bay, WI
I put a deposit yesterday on a Mirage 8.5x28 trailer. At first I thought my truck would work fine to tow with until it is time for a new truck, but I am starting to have second thoughts. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie and have pulled a 7x29 cross country with 0 issues. My truck is rated to pull 8,240 lbs which is more than enough to cover the weight of the trailer and 4 long tracks. Does anyone have any experience pulling the 28' Xtreme Sport with a 1/2 ton that can shed some light on what I should expect or should I get a 20' and deal with having less space?

P.S. I would be putting in air ride in the rear or timbrens at the minimum as well as using a weight distributing hitch.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The biggest question is how far are u towing it? I see u are Wisconsin. If u are planning on coming out west to the mountains u will have your hands full and u better not be in a hurry. A cross wind will mess with u the most. If it's just a couple hour drive I wouldn't worry about it. A 1/2 ton will get u by for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
So u are buying it out west? If so I would recommend trying to have something inside it otherwise they pull real bad empty.

J

Joes271

Nov 17, 2014
Green Bay, WI
I have a buddy picking it up in ID for me and bringing it to wolf creek. I will be pulling back to Wisconsin with at least a sled and gear in it. I could always fill up the fuel tank on the trailer too if that would help.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Your Half ton will "Pull" that trailer just fine.
BUT.
The issue will be when you get WIND LOAD going down the highway.
Then that long tall trailer may begin to "Wag the Dog".

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Air bags will help a lot. I think you will be ok unless the wind blows, and it usually does along I80. Good advice above for adding some weight to the truck and the trailer.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Can you tow it? Yes.
With confidence? Depends.
Snow covered mountain roads. Yikes.
Windy, icy roads. Yikes
Flatland, straight hwys. No problem.
Ya gotta tow a big trailer with a 1/2 ton a fewtimes in our lives. Sweaty armpits, gripping the steering wheel, thoughts of death, etc. It’s all part of it! Try it and if you don’t like it, a one ton may be in the cards. Just do it!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Loaded up it will be handful to emergency stop stock; yeah, you might have trailer brakes, even maintained and adjusted, that trailer will seriously shove a light truck on everything except dry pave. Physics, and the brakes on 1500's are not getting bigger. Weight ratings assume dry roads, no wind, no up or (especially) down. Timbrens or bags, WD bars are your friends, but won't help you stop.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I have a 1 ton pulling a 8.5x28 and I also run airbags and I won't ever not have them again on my truck. It just takes all the bounce out of the truck from big bumps.

J

Joes271

Nov 17, 2014
Green Bay, WI
I have a 1 ton pulling a 8.5x28 and I also run airbags and I won't ever not have them again on my truck. It just takes all the bounce out of the truck from big bumps.

Nice! I had air suspension on my last ram and it work awesome for towing and hauling. I am going back and forth between the timbrens and air bags for the rear on this truck. What is your recommendation for type and brand?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Slowdown when it's windy put on e rated tires use your brain you be fine air bags do help. I pulled an 8.5 x24 with a 3 foot v United trailer with a Cadillac Escalade ext.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Nice! I had air suspension on my last ram and it work awesome for towing and hauling. I am going back and forth between the timbrens and air bags for the rear on this truck. What is your recommendation for type and brand?
I've used nothing but Firestone air bags, never a problem.

Premium Features