• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris RMK Khaos or Ski Doo Summit Expert

Khaos or Summit Expert

• RMK Khaos

• Summit Expert

Results are only viewable after voting.
J
Dec 9, 2019
Starting to think about snow check for this spring.. and I'm finding myself on the fence between these sleds. what are your guys thought?? pros, cons, your experiences. lets try and stay away from the completely biased opinions, I know it can be hard but do your best lol

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I'm not bias just my personal opinion after riding both the Ski Doo and the Polaris. The Polaris will do EVERYTHING better simply because the machine is balanced....the Khaos 850 hits hard and clutching is spot on. Ski Doo makes a nice machine but my money goes to Polaris because it's a lot more fun to ride.

If you want to wheelie - get the Ski Doo, if you want control get the Khaos I'm having a blast on mine. Ultimately though it comes down to what you are use to or if new to the sport which you're more comfortable on.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
What is your riding style? Which local dealer is better?
My opinion after owning both:
Fit/finish on doo is better
Polaris is easier to work on (change plugs, clutches,etc)
Optional belt drive on polaris which I like for peace of mind in backcountry repairs
Motors are equal in power (close enough anyways)
The SHOT system is sweet on the doo
the shocks on the Khaos are nice
the chassis is more precise on the Khaos
the doo is more fun as a boondocker/big open areas.
The Khaos will climb slightly better track length being equal

For me the reason I went back to polaris was dealer support. After my 850 doo blew up at the beginning of last year it took over 2 months to get it back and my season was almost over by that time. My polaris dealer treats me much better and is much closer.

C
Dec 25, 2019
I'm not bias just my personal opinion after riding both the Ski Doo and the Polaris. The Polaris will do EVERYTHING better simply because the machine is balanced....the Khaos 850 hits hard and clutching is spot on. Ski Doo makes a nice machine but my money goes to Polaris because it's a lot more fun to ride.

If you want to wheelie - get the Ski Doo, if you want control get the Khaos I'm having a blast on mine. Ultimately though it comes down to what you are use to or if new to the sport which you're more comfortable on.
If you want control buy the pro. Khais is closer to a freeride

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
A properly set up expert will do the same things a khaos can do. Local dealer for me is the reason I stick with doo. That and the amount of problems the polaris can have scares me.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Hands down the Khaos..
I made the switch as I was fed up of working on a doo, they are terrible for maintenance. Secondary is fixed/Intakes on side of sled/blowing steering boots if riding in fine powder at cold temps/hot clutchs no matter what you do/suspension like a pogo stick
Khaos is so easy to ride and is a fair amount lighter than the doo, was out the other day with a doo and at one point we checked clutch temps, the doo you couldnt keep you hand on, my Khaos was mild heat like room temperature, we are both geared the same. The suspension on the Khaos is light years ahead of the Doo. My only gripe with the Poo is the engine is a little dirtier than the Doo. Also the Poo is sooooooo much better in sidehills and technical terrain.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I don't see how anyone can even compare the two , less is better and more expensive , that's not logical , matter of a fact it's stupid . Polaris is so busy purchasing anything that makes their share holders happy that they don't have time to actually create anything on their own . Thank goodness they finally went to an electronic oil pump otherwise it would still be a ticking time bomb and who do you think gets credit for that ? They sure didn't think of it on their own . Doos new clutches set the other manufactures primaries back to the 80's technology . The list is endless , Yamaha and Doo beat to their own drum the other two just follow and now that one has Textron it won't be long before Polaris has to put a new twist on the lazy ignorant instant gratification crowd . At one time it was Textron/ Polaris , keep drinking the koolaid , the shareholders love it , resale is a disposable joke .

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Doos new clutches set the other manufactures primaries back to the 80's technology .

Are you serious? Have you even wrenced in a P-drive clutch? It's unnecessarily complicated, has a myriad of parts, all of sub par quality, and for what? Making a clutch that works almost as good as a P85?

I'll give them this, IF built to better quality it would be great, but still not better than a good P85, just much more expensive.
The P85s polaris are using and the P85 clones the others are using are made cheaper and not as good as they were say 15 years ago. Give TEAM, which I believe makes all the P85s, and clones used by the other OEMs, the same amount of money they are paying for the P-drive and order a P85 with that price tag and you would probably end up with a great clutch that doesn't need a full, and expensive rebuild every, or every second, season. TEAM knows what they are doing but you get what you pay for....

And don't even get me started on the QRS, it has been a complete durability disaster since it's arrival in -08 and has not gained any since!! lack of durability combined with is lack of service friendliness makes the QRS a strong contender for "Worst clutch ever, all things considered"-award.

...and don't call med brand loyal "Polaris-ist", I have had several BRP sleds and is currently on an MY -19 Lynx 850, (which is starting to show signs of needing a P-drive rebuild before even reaching 2500km...)

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
^^ I agree^^^ and to add to this
Doo added fins on primary/fins on secondary/special ducting to pull air into secondary/new motor mounts/several different primary calibrations and clutchs still to hot to touch. The Pdrive is a major pain in the arse to work on vs a P85. I'd never buy another doo until they get rid of the QRS, I hate that f...in secondary

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
LIL , guys that's funny . If simplicity is what you want than have at it . P85 did you forget about the 95 , it's works , short lived but it works . Best clutch their using is a power Bloc . What skids do they offer besides choice of 2 shocks , I think you can still purchase one threw Costco . It's what you like but when it comes to options Polaris doesn't do or have the R&D . Doos options are so many the the dealers can't even keep up . I about died from laughing with the kits offered to shorten the Poos tunnel . How many years have the Poo guys been asking for a fuel can ? It's now offered to their snowbikes , that tells you how much they think about the sleds .I've been a Poo fan since the 70's or should I say was , they offer nothing but simplicity .

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I have a 20' non khaos and rode a khaos recently and it was a good snow day- the khaos was definitely more squirely to steer. And I happened to ride an expert on the same day - the expert seemed squirely too for steering.

My vote is Polaris non khaos.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
So you are saying you like complexity?
Not at all , as if I need more crap to work on . It's more like what Polaris and Doo have to offer isn't comparable . Start looking into what they have to offer . Polaris used a phrase less is better for a season till the ones that didn't fall for it and called bull . They dropped that campaign quick like . Like I mentioned earlier what do they have to offer besides colors and a choice of 2 shocks . Even the theft proof gauge is extra , they ought to be slapped for that one . For some Polaris has nothing to offer but mass media .
I want to get the most out of my money and expensive cheap isn't it .

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I ride everything everytime out. Alpha, expert, kaos. Traded the expert for the new 850 turbo. That is my wife's sled. My buddy's kaos is a 163. Have not rode a 155 kaos. They are all awesome. They are all different so i think you need to ride and decide based on a dealer and what you like. Not based on what someone, you don't know, says about them. As far as the ride, the expert, hands down, rides better than any of them on the trail. The alpha is the worst. I actually like the doo motor the best. Feels rippier. I think the power might be the same but the Polaris 850 is more of a hit in the mid range on up. The polaris is better in the trees. My only gripe on his kaos is seat height. My main gripe on the doo is they feel a little front heavy. In deep snow they are awesome. Lesser snow they feel heavier and get more feedback through the bars. They used to be heavier and ride lighter than any of them. Now I'm not sure about that.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Not at all , as if I need more crap to work on . It's more like what Polaris and Doo have to offer isn't comparable . Start looking into what they have to offer . Polaris used a phrase less is better for a season till the ones that didn't fall for it and called bull . They dropped that campaign quick like . Like I mentioned earlier what do they have to offer besides colors and a choice of 2 shocks . Even the theft proof gauge is extra , they ought to be slapped for that one . For some Polaris has nothing to offer but mass media .
I want to get the most out of my money and expensive cheap isn't it .

Until you ride one and the handling is amazing. Weird mine has built in GPS and Bluetooth with a mountain designed chassis. Didnt' see that on my ski-doos. Both great sleds but for my riding stile I have to go with the Polaris.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I wont every purchase a new sled without riding it first . Made that mistake once , that's why I went with the Doo but I will be throwing a leg over a new Polaris probably this weekend because I have to out of curiosity . If a shock package and shock location is the sales pitch than that's not enough for me . Asking what is the better of the two sleds is more about conversation than anything , like you said it fits your riding style .

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_135055150.jpg
    IMG_20200217_135055150.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 99
Premium Features