• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Trailer Floor Option

N
Dec 24, 2017
I found 700 tiles on FB marketplace for a good price. For the price, I wasn’t worried about the brand and figured it was worth a try. Laid them in my trailer and on my ramp door this weekend. I used a few stainless screws to hold it all in place. Drove the sled in when done and it slid so well on the tiles. Brand new carbides barely left a mark. Excited to see how the season goes with it.

37D5381C-A877-4001-93F1-CC0F40A4047F.jpeg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Now that you have a season or two on the Swisstrax.
How is it holding up to regular use?

Actually very good!!! The carbides hardly leave a mark in it !! I accidentally spun the IQR track with studs and that left a few more marks but really that wasn't even horrible.

What's really nice is whatever drips off the sleds falls through the tile. Once the ice builds up a little, it breaks off super easy and you sweep it out! Obviously if you have a heated trailer, this has no effect but without heat, there is no ice build up inside.

I would definitely do it again!

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Looks awesome !!

What kind of fold down benches do you have? It looks like they hook into the E channel ?

The benches are Triton's fold-up benches. They are mounted to the wall/e-track with self tapping screws. Very sturdy and actually function surprisingly well! Pretty happy with them all in all.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
FatDogX - Do you have a picture of how you attached them to the floor?

There not attached to the floor that's part of the beauty!! It's cut to fit in the trailer and once all the tiles snap together it doesn't move. If you want to pull it out, just unsnap one side and then split it in half and pull it out!

I suppose you could try some screws but really isn't a point, the floor doesn't move at all.

G
Feb 15, 2010
Tracksvs2wheels - did you use the treadware piece from Swisstrax on the rear door entry as a threshold? Looking to purchase but not sure if I should run this or the edge pieces. Did you use the same on the front angled door?

R
Nov 30, 2019
Great thread! I just purchased a new 8.5 x 26' Legend trailer and am looking at flooring options for my studded sleds. I did receive a couple of the Ribtrax tiles which feel and appear to be quite durable. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind;
1) Could you elaborate on how well the Ribtrax is holding in regards to your studded track?
2) Do you have any problems with your studs getting stuck between the ribs?
3) What are you using on your approaching edges? It appears to be stone guard but, surely it's something stronger that can take the abuse.
I would more than appreciate your help in regards too the above questions and/or anything else you've experienced with these tiles. Thank you for posting this for us here at Snowest. Ray

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Great thread! I just purchased a new 8.5 x 26' Legend trailer and am looking at flooring options for my studded sleds. I did receive a couple of the Ribtrax tiles which feel and appear to be quite durable. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind;
1) Could you elaborate on how well the Ribtrax is holding in regards to your studded track?
2) Do you have any problems with your studs getting stuck between the ribs?
3) What are you using on your approaching edges? It appears to be stone guard but, surely it's something stronger that can take the abuse.
I would more than appreciate your help in regards too the above questions and/or anything else you've experienced with these tiles. Thank you for posting this for us here at Snowest. Ray

I use to have an IQR that was studded up and I ran into the trailer a couple times. My studs were basically new at the time and they will leave some pretty good marks in these tiles, especially if you happen to accidentally spin!! I have since sold the IQR and only have been running mountain sleds in my trailer but if I had a studded track, I'm not sure if I would be running this floor??? Will it work.....yes but it will show wear much faster with studs. Also remember that these can be replaced really easy, so once a tile happens to get trashed, you can always replace that one or two and you're good for a while again. It's way easier to replace a tile or two then the floor of your trailer!!!

I didn't have any issues with studs getting stuck but my studs were new and sharp. I wonder as the studs start to wear or have a bend hear or there, I could see where they could get caught???

I put aluminum door transition pieces on both doors and those work pretty good. It keeps the snow and ice clear of the lower door jam and makes for a nice transition when driving in and out.

Hope that helps?? Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Jim

R
Nov 30, 2019
I use to have an IQR that was studded up and I ran into the trailer a couple times. My studs were basically new at the time and they will leave some pretty good marks in these tiles, especially if you happen to accidentally spin!! I have since sold the IQR and only have been running mountain sleds in my trailer but if I had a studded track, I'm not sure if I would be running this floor??? Will it work.....yes but it will show wear much faster with studs. Also remember that these can be replaced really easy, so once a tile happens to get trashed, you can always replace that one or two and you're good for a while again. It's way easier to replace a tile or two then the floor of your trailer!!!

I didn't have any issues with studs getting stuck but my studs were new and sharp. I wonder as the studs start to wear or have a bend hear or there, I could see where they could get caught???

I put aluminum door transition pieces on both doors and those work pretty good. It keeps the snow and ice clear of the lower door jam and makes for a nice transition when driving in and out.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
It's nice to know all of this before forking out $$. I will also be using the trailer for my trike with a pull behind trailer as well. As for the studs on my AC Z1 1100, they are older. I was also thinking of possibly using horse stall mats along one side inside the trailer for protecting the Ribtrax. I use thinner truck bed rubber matting on my garage floor for loading/unloading but, it has bunched up under the sled causing that to be a major P.I.A.. If I understand correctly, stall matting is available in 1/2" and/or 3/4". With that being said, maybe it would stay in place due to weight. I've heard that it takes carbides and studs pretty well. As for the ramps, I'm looking at the Caliber products. The problem with my Z1 1100 you can't just ease into the throttle for a slow take off. I also got a sample of the Mateflex II which is a night and day difference compared to the Ribtrax. I would really like to use the Ribtrax if I can find a workaround for the studs. You really did an awesome job on your floor which looks fantastic. I can't thank you enough for letting me know your experience..... very much appreciated. Ray

R
Nov 30, 2019

Jim
I meant to ask you about your aluminum door transitions as well......... Is that something you made up or were they made for that purpose? Thank you again for all your help. Ray

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I meant to ask you about your aluminum door transitions as well......... Is that something you made up or were they made for that purpose? Thank you again for all your help. Ray

I actually found those online and ordered them. If I remember correctly, I found them on some trailer accessories site. They work great, just have to remember to fold them up before you try lifting the door !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Nov 30, 2019
I actually found those online and ordered them. If I remember correctly, I found them on some trailer accessories site. They work great, just have to remember to fold them up before you try lifting the door !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jim,
The gap on my old trailer is about 5". I made a transition piece from a 1x6" deck board that actually gave me a level fit. I forget to remove it now and then which nearly rips my arm off when trying to lift the door in a hurry......... LOL :eek:

R
Nov 30, 2019
Just wanted to drop in and state that I'm now looking at a tile that's called DeckTred (link below). I really like the looks of the RibTrax and have even thought removing my studs but, probably not a good idea running a track with holes in it. ? DeckTred is suppose to be aimed for snowmobile use with or without studs in which I'm currently trying to gather real user use. Decisions.... Decisions........ ?

http://decktred.com

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just wanted to drop in and state that I'm now looking at a tile that's called DeckTred (link below). I really like the looks of the RibTrax and have even thought removing my studs but, probably not a good idea running a track with holes in it. ? DeckTred is suppose to be aimed for snowmobile use with or without studs in which I'm currently trying to gather real user use. Decisions.... Decisions........ ?

http://decktred.com

Very cool, definitely keep us posted!!

R
Nov 30, 2019
Very cool, definitely keep us posted!!
Will do...... I just got off the phone with Parker from DeckTred. He is sending out three of his tiles tomorrow. Can't wait too have them in hand by next Wednesday or so. If it's something that I like, I'm going to head over to Becks trailer sales to throw them down in a trailer similar to what I have ordered. I did that with the RibTrax which looked totally awesome and the fit from the rear ramp door forward (on the 48" beavertail) floor joint was next to perfect due to the 15.75" x 15.75" size. Only a slight 1/16" gap between the tiles when connected at the slightly angled beavertail joint. Appearance looked great and I tried to take it apart at that point which was very difficult. I believe it would have been fine without screwing it down. Yes, I love the RibTrax but, I wouldn't want to tear it up with my studded track...... Ooop's this is suppose to be about DeckTred ?Anyway whatever I decide to do, I'll keep everyone here posted...... Still looking for suggestions and experiences throughout the forum. ?

Premium Features