• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to get sleds from property down to the trails?

C
Jan 14, 2020
Looking at property in Brian Head, UT. Found one we really like (as a family).

Summer is fine for riding the 1/4 mile or so on city streets to all the atv trails that turn into sled trails in winter. My dirt bikes are plated so no issue there obviously.

The back of the lot is the resorts ski property and would almost certainly get a ticket riding down that...

So my question is without a trailer or sleddeck and having to bring the truck down every time, how do you all get to the trails that are less than half a mile from cabin/house but are all dirt and asphalt roads? is there a quick connect/disconnect kit for the front skis with wheels or something? Will this absolutely shred the track? or if we drive nice and slow will the tracks be okay? This specific road from property to trails is mostly plowed but half of the 1/2 mile is pretty icy and so that part shouldnt be the problem.

Would said "skid wheel kits" be safe to drive up and down the steep asphalt as long as we keep it real mellow? I can weld and fabricate all sorts of stuff, but very new to sleds. (First ride was this week)

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Looking at property in Brian Head, UT. Found one we really like (as a family).

Summer is fine for riding the 1/4 mile or so on city streets to all the atv trails that turn into sled trails in winter. My dirt bikes are plated so no issue there obviously.

The back of the lot is the resorts ski property and would almost certainly get a ticket riding down that...

So my question is without a trailer or sleddeck and having to bring the truck down every time, how do you all get to the trails that are less than half a mile from cabin/house but are all dirt and asphalt roads? is there a quick connect/disconnect kit for the front skis with wheels or something? Will this absolutely shred the track? or if we drive nice and slow will the tracks be okay? This specific road from property to trails is mostly plowed but half of the 1/2 mile is pretty icy and so that part shouldnt be the problem.

Would said "skid wheel kits" be safe to drive up and down the steep asphalt as long as we keep it real mellow? I can weld and fabricate all sorts of stuff, but very new to sleds. (First ride was this week)
Im thinking just a small trailer that any car can pull for that short of a distance. How many sleds at one time?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

C
Jan 14, 2020
No trailers! No parking is available for a trailer ANYWHERE, a truck with a sleddeck would be hard enough. It's a resort town so any big parking lot is staffed and they kick trailers out, and get the stink eye with a deck on...

Im thinking just a small trailer that any car can pull for that short of a distance. How many sleds at one time?

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
No trailers! No parking is available for a trailer ANYWHERE, a truck with a sleddeck would be hard enough. It's a resort town so any big parking lot is staffed and they kick trailers out, and get the stink eye with a deck on...
Can you pick your way through the trees?
Not sure where you live but if they are that uptight about people other than skiers maybe it's not a good fit. I've driven numerous times from Cedar City over to 89. Maybe a place down by Duck Creek then commute up for skiing. Basically just do the reverse. I've never been up to the ski resort.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
If its only 1/2 mile take skegs off put on ski skins then drive it. We run sleds on frozen dirt all the time. Just don’t go too fast or you will melt hyfax. And watch your temp in low snow.

No skegs easier to trailer also. Put on when your ready for real ride.

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
A 1/2 mile I wouldn't think twice. Its not going to hurt anything. You might have to replace carbides and extra time or 2 over life of sled if its asphalt. Go 15-25mph.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
1/2 mile Go slow and sled will be fine. They do make all sorts of wheel dollies … even one permanently mounted to the spindles.. For me if there is snow around I like to put a shovel between the rails and some on the cooler / tunnel.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I agree with others, just run them down the road. If there is a small patch of snow off the side, dip into that to lube the hyfax and cooler.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Pickup with a flat bed. if you just have one sled there's an awesome in bed deck that I forgot the name of and it's super easy to use.
I wouldn't ride a half mile of concrete, it's probably not even legal. As well as the potential overheating issues

Premium Features