• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important >>> Ski-Doo Summit 850 TURBO OEM at long last!!!!!!

Post number 92 has been selected as best answered.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I’ve ridden my 850 at low altitude U.P.
And high altitude 8-10k
Huge difference!
Riding at 8-10 I always want a smidge more power..
After 3-5 days of ridding I can’t lift my arms anyway.. so how much more power can my body handle?
I work out 5 days a week, lift weights, cardio ect..
Race mountain bikes all summer
So I would say I’m well above average fitness level..
So at 50 years old I would have to ride
More than my usual 10 days a season
To benefit from the turbo?
Or work out more and get stronger?
So my point is how much power is usable at a riders fitness level
I think 165hp at all elevations is perfect for me.
More than 165hp would waste me!
I think this new 850t is spot on!
So you guys looking for 200+ Hp
Must be riding a lot!
Or have monster fitness!
Or more power just makes riding easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...a LOT of truth in this!

Ace

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
And high altitude 8-10k
Huge difference!
After 3-5 days of ridding I can’t lift my arms anyway.. so how much more power can my body handle?
Must be riding a lot!
Or have monster fitness!

In many ways you are probably right that more power will wear you out faster but I also think it can do the opposite too because you don’t have to work as hard to get up the “big” hill (for example).

What you are missing though is how more power gives you bigger and more

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
And high altitude 8-10k
Huge difference!
Must be riding a lot!
Or have monster fitness!

Better to have and not need than need and not have. I do believe most won't benefit from any more power.
As far as fitness, the elevation is getting you. I was in best shape of my life, 30 years ago. I had been away for 10 months. When i came back, a couple buddies and i hiked up to a mountain lake. They were actually in poor shape. One drove truck and one smoked like a chimney
Long story short, it about killed me. They were waiting on me all day. Couldn't believe it
I don't know if i was 3% per thousand but felt close.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
jay manteberry just put a vid of his ski doo factory built hillclimber. it looks and sounds to be more than 165HP:unsure::love:

It sure does. I believe it is running 2-3 pounds more boost over stock on race gas. Running a Ski Doo race department can as well. The throttle response is unreal sounding. I wish I could have this engine in a Axys chassis LOL.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I actually seriously thought about putting the alpha skid in the doo. I have an alpha and the turbo is actually kind of my wifes sled. Arctic cat kind of suck other than the skid and track. Think they hung out with Yamaha too long. There was a guy in Colorado that did it. Wish I knew how it worked. Guessing it will cost an extra $4000 but you could sell the stock stuff to soften the blow.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I actually seriously thought about putting the alpha skid in the doo. I have an alpha and the turbo is actually kind of my wifes sled. Arctic cat kind of suck other than the skid and track. Think they hung out with Yamaha too long. There was a guy in Colorado that did it. Wish I knew how it worked. Guessing it will cost an extra $4000 but you could sell the stock stuff to soften the blow.
Did you pick up the turbo? If so lets hear a report!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
No report. Just brought it home Tuesday. Might be a week before I get to ride it. A buddy told me it is as good or better as my 18 silber at 5 psi with better bottom end. 3 other turbos to compare it against. They were all silbers and my 18 ran awesome. Can't rember what he said about the 154 on 7 pounds. Said bottom end is awesome and ran flawless. He did say when he swapped and ran my old blueberry that he won but is 60 pounds lighter than the other guy.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
No report. Just brought it home Tuesday. Might be a week before I get to ride it. A buddy told me it is as good or better as my 18 silber at 5 psi with better bottom end. 3 other turbos to compare it against. They were all silbers and my 18 ran awesome. Can't rember what he said about the 154 on 7 pounds. Said bottom end is awesome and ran flawless. He did say when he swapped and ran my old blueberry that he won but is 60 pounds lighter than the other guy.

Must be a crappy running silber. Comparing the factory turbo to a aftermarket is a waste of time IMO.
To totally different designs.

New doo turbo got spanked.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Now do one with real riding, might as well get a 4 stroke for going straight on open hillsides :LOL:

Turbos in my group do not have issues in the trees. Very clean and consistent. The even engauge below 4000rpm.
New doo is definitely exciting tho, but not in the league of aftermarket turbos. Not yet anyway.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Must be a crappy running silber. Comparing the factory turbo to a aftermarket is a waste of time IMO.
To totally different designs.

New doo turbo got spanked.

Second hand info and not a waste of time because that is the first thing everyone is going to do. Why post the video you just posted if it is a waste of time?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Second hand info and not a waste of time because that is the first thing everyone is going to do. Why post the video you just posted if it is a waste of time?

Cause of your buddies review on it compared to a aftermarket kit. Just saying.

Yes its a cool sled that has a ton of potential and performance over a NA850. Im patently waiting for snowcheck.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
In WA we ride 4-5000 most of the time. There are some spots that are 5500-6000 but not many. Is the general consenses this isnt going to be a game changer for the WA guys? I almost bought one but decided to wait until I knew more. If I lived in UT, WY, MT I probably would have grabbed one.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
In WA we ride 4-5000 most of the time. There are some spots that are 5500-6000 but not many. Is the general consenses this isnt going to be a game changer for the WA guys? I almost bought one but decided to wait until I knew more. If I lived in UT, WY, MT I probably would have grabbed one.

4000’ elevation means you would be making 12% more power than a N/A 850.

6000’ = 18%

Only you can decide if that’s something you are interested in.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Cause of your buddies review on it compared to a aftermarket kit. Just saying.

Yes its a cool sled that has a ton of potential and performance over a NA850. Im patently waiting for snowcheck.

No reason to wait!
Recheck your dealers offer and the warranty package
Just got a killer deal from my dealer!
Picking up tomorrow! Win!

Premium Features