• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Mountain Cat vs 16 Sno Pro

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The '17 Mountain Cat is the narrowed Ascender chassis, Dropped/rolled 8T 3" PC with the Suzuki 800 HO.

We'll aware, which is why I said "except for. "

Cept they didn't call it ascender till 2018.

Go ride a ctech. Power delivery is better in the range most snowmobiling happens in. I'm not running out to buy one but it's a noticeable improvement.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
We'll aware, which is why I said "except for. "

Cept they didn't call it ascender till 2018.

Go ride a ctech. Power delivery is better in the range most snowmobiling happens in. I'm not running out to buy one but it's a noticeable improvement.

Appreciate all your input so far. Just curious, what do you currently ride?

B
If you need to be spoon fed on which sled to buy you probably won't be riding circles around every one. If you got the money for a new cat with elevate then buy it thier bad ass. The Suzuki is quite possibly the best sled engine but I think the ctec pulls a little harder time will tell on longevity.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Appreciate all your input so far. Just curious, what do you currently ride?

Just tell me when you want me to shut up. ;)

2016 153 LTD
B&M narrow running boards with panels in
Dropped chaincase with 8t drivers
17+ rear arm push rod and QS3 shock
QS3 FTS Coil shock from one of the ZR models
Gripper skis

Just put an elevate kit on but don't have the suspension dialed quite yet after one day out yesterday.

I ride with a crew with other cats so other than an alpha, I've ridden most of them at some point.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
side panels are biggest improvement imo. next would be low end response at engagement. ctech is so smooth right there, fun to grunt around. not sure if its the y-pipe/DS can that helped mine but I feel my zuke actually is stronger in mid range than the 18. curious if the 17 is better than the 16, I know they changed the mapping a little.
side panels tho, thats where the proclimb shows her fluff. kinda a big birtha feel when you get off the new body work back onto yours. I start to get hung up on them in steepest sidehills where a Polaris will still move freely. Not sure how much the ascender improved that but they sure did improve the way they go on and off! I need to elevate mine and I think that will solve it.
I here ya on keeping the 17MC mountaincat1. Im gonna wait until I see less snow ingestion and clutch issue threads, mine doesnt have those.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i had two m8s a 14 and a 15 proclimb and the 18 is miles ahead of them. the clutching on the 18 and newer is so nice. the engagement is so smooth you can take off and not spin and trench. with the lower driveshaft like the 17mtn cat and all newer ones you move forwards where on my older sleds they would trench and lift the front end. the front end can be narrowed to 35 inches and it so easy to get on its side. My 18 has had a y pipe and ssi pipe mod since i got and i never feel like im lacking power, and it runs so smooth and clean no loading up or anything. Ive ridden with a few 850 skidoos and they couldnt touch the mtn cat climbing and that really surprised me. we even switched sleds. the older sleds are good and the suzuki is solid but the new ones are the real deal my polaris buddies even said if they were going to trade they would look into cats and i never thought that would happen.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Imo hard to justify buying a newer sled with twin rail, sure theres some improvements but not huge, If you want truly a good improvement from your twin rail 16, get an ALPHA! a used one, a demo, you wont be sorry, I love mine and thats coming from riding a pro, and doo....

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
What do you feel like is that much better about the'18 Mountain Cat over the '17 Mountain Cat? It seems that many find the 800 CTech to have more low to mid range power, but less top end vs the Suzuki 800 HO?

Everything is better. The narrower boards feel great. The motor is so much better than the Suzuki. The bottom end is crazy good, and it is not lacking for top end. I hae no problem beating up on the competition's 850s. and it will flat smoke the other 800s. The handling is so much more predicable on the 18. it is just a fluid feeling riding that sled in the steep trees. You just look where you want to go and the sled goes there. It does NOT take much effort at all to change direction. The clutches work sooo good. buttery smooth engagement. Super smooth up shift and back shift. The power is always right there. The chassis, motor and clutches work so well together that it so easy to control track spin.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
What do you feel like is that much better about the'18 Mountain Cat over the '17 Mountain Cat? It seems that many find the 800 CTech to have more low to mid range power, but less top end vs the Suzuki 800 HO?
The body on 18 MC is way narrower than the 17, HUGE difference and very worth it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Everything is better. The narrower boards feel great. The motor is so much better than the Suzuki. The bottom end is crazy good, and it is not lacking for top end. I hae no problem beating up on the competition's 850s. and it will flat smoke the other 800s. The handling is so much more predicable on the 18. it is just a fluid feeling riding that sled in the steep trees. You just look where you want to go and the sled goes there. It does NOT take much effort at all to change direction. The clutches work sooo good. buttery smooth engagement. Super smooth up shift and back shift. The power is always right there. The chassis, motor and clutches work so well together that it so easy to control track spin.
running boards are same as your 18. I also prefer the 17 clutches but thats just based on what ive seen riding with an 18MC switching from my 17MC. too many folks will associate the 12-15 proclimbs with the last couple years of it. last year of the proclimb started most of the things the ascender fans will talk up. JMO

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
running boards are same as your 18. I also prefer the 17 clutches but thats just based on what ive seen riding with an 18MC switching from my 17MC. too many folks will associate the 12-15 proclimbs with the last couple years of it. last year of the proclimb started most of the things the ascender fans will talk up. JMO

Don't get me wrong, the 17 is a GREAT sled. Remember, the 17 was supposed to have the ctec. But supplier restrictions made cat push it to 18. The 17 is not the same sled as the 12-16. and those got better each year. The 18 is just better.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Imo hard to justify buying a newer sled with twin rail, sure theres some improvements but not huge, If you want truly a good improvement from your twin rail 16, get an ALPHA! a used one, a demo, you wont be sorry, I love mine and thats coming from riding a pro, and doo....

Ride an alpha before you buy one. they aren't for everybody. I rode them both and then went on a search for the 18/19 twin rail. The alpha is a monster in fresh DEEP snow. The traction is unreal. Try riding one following 2 of your buddies threw a tight tree line. where you have no choice but to stay on they trench they created. The way the track flexes it tries to climb the sides of the trench. It can be a real handful. And it doesn't have the best trail manors. I know, none of us ride trails. but we all have to ride some trails to get to the goods. I also think if you are over 6 foot or 200 lbs. it is a little harder to ride. it is sooo twitchy that one misplaced foot sends you 180 degrees real quick. I am also 43 years old. I am in no way as fast to react as I was 20 years ago. The 23 year old me would probably love the alpha. I strongly suggest you try to get on a demo ride. or find a place to rent one.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Ride an alpha before you buy one. they aren't for everybody. I rode them both and then went on a search for the 18/19 twin rail. The alpha is a monster in fresh DEEP snow. The traction is unreal. Try riding one following 2 of your buddies threw a tight tree line. where you have no choice but to stay on they trench they created. The way the track flexes it tries to climb the sides of the trench. It can be a real handful. And it doesn't have the best trail manors. I know, none of us ride trails. but we all have to ride some trails to get to the goods. I also think if you are over 6 foot or 200 lbs. it is a little harder to ride. it is sooo twitchy that one misplaced foot sends you 180 degrees real quick. I am also 43 years old. I am in no way as fast to react as I was 20 years ago. The 23 year old me would probably love the alpha. I strongly suggest you try to get on a demo ride. or find a place to rent one.

Fair points, I haven't had to follow somebody's rut but dipping in and out hasn't been bad, no matter the sled it can Suck Lol. but height and weight I'm about the same, 190# and 6ft 1, trail manners, if we are talking the groomed bush roads then it's no different to me than any other sled, slow down a tad more in the corners but still rip hard, after all it is a. Mountain sled not a trail sled. Following some sled made wanky trail with lots of angles you have to be ontop of the. Machine, where you used to be sitting and lazy and lean, usually get by? You won't no more the alpha will roll over on you, you need to get your weight over. so there is that lol, less stability making it easy to get ovrt and throw around also means your giving it up else where but it's not a big deal for me to stand and put some foot weight over in those situations.

Yes the sled is twitchy in that everybody Is used to putting in more effort and weight than required on this. that's what I mean when I say when others hop on it they'll be upside down in no time rolling the sled. Its taken me some time to get used to inoutting far less. I used to grt so squirrely in a climb and find my self over correcting shooting off 90 degrees, I don't anymore.

Every day snow is different and so can riding be, this isn't a ride it for a hour or 2 to get used to it, you need a few outings, but once your getting used to it or my self, I'm loving it.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Recently got an '18 twin rail, elevated before I ever rode it (had bent rails when I bought it). It's a real treat. Runs very well (Silber tune & a Bikeman Y-pipe), and the chassis just flat works. I hopped on a well setup '16 (clutching, timing, y-pipe, 8T driver) after riding the '18 for most of the day, and just about went over the bars when the low end wasn't there. That '16 is like an on/off switch where the ctec is very linear. No doubt I can do more, more easily, on the '18. On the other end of the spectrum, going between the '18 and an alpha, I'm not blown away by the difference. Could be setup there somewhat, tough to say, but I don't regret not ponying up the extra cash for the single rail. I'd have bought a '19 twin rail for the updates over the '18 but ended up with a good deal on the '18 and it just made financial sense.

I live west of Marquette in the UP and ride almost every weekend in the sticks, and 1 week out west every year. I have had a 14 M8-162, 2018 M8000 153 and now a 19 Alpha 165. The changes from year to year are very impressive. I'm the old guy in our group at 50. I do ride dirt bike as well so I can hold my own with most of the kids on sleds. The 2 biggest things I will say about the Alpha is give it 200 miles to learn how to ride it, when you get it figured out its a beast. Instead of me watching the kids at the end of the day there saying lets go for a beer I'm tired and I say I still have fuel. lol Second is setup with the shocks and skis ( I don't like the stock ski's I use Powder Pros) I'm 6'2" and 204# so no I'm not a little guy. I run the clickers on 2 or 3 to the play area then go soft in the woods. All of my other riding buddy's ride Poo's and most of them say they would ride an Alpha if there dealer ever pooped on them. (they have a great dealer, but so do I) This is year #2 with 870 miles and the only issue I've had is that stupid mandatory reflash, but I think we have it figured out finally. I will buy another Alpha when my warranty is gone.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I had a 16 snopro and have had two 19 mc's
The 16's comparitive good
Engine
Color choice
Price

The 16's bad
The plastics
Overall fit and finish
2.6 track
Fuel economy
The handlebar switchgear

In comparison the 19
Engine has some negative reviews but hasn't been around enough to really have a fair assessment.
Only colors are blah black and grey, or loud flaming fabulous purple. The purple nurple is growing on me.
I got a better deal on the 16 at 9100 1 year holdover where as the first 19 I got for 10200 in season and the second I got for 10400 as a one year hold over.

The better points are
The fit, for sure. All the plastics fit so much better, are way easier to remove, look better, the intake screens are so much better, and the LED light others can see through the trees.
The 3" track with the dropped case is way better. Holds better lines, get on top easier, that 2.6 would just dig holes for me.
A tank of gas goes much further
And the bar controls I don't hit with my legs and accidentally adjust, although now I have to stare at the gauge for a second to see the new controls responding it is a welcome trade

Both can take a serious hit,
The updated factory installed mag teather is very nice too
They both have the dumbest oil reservoir ever thought of

Attachments

• 3446.jpeg
    3446.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20200123-215950.png
    Screenshot_20200123-215950.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20200123-215920.png
    Screenshot_20200123-215920.png
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20200123-220125.png
    Screenshot_20200123-220125.png
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
Bringing this topic back up, since there’s been more time on the alpha and such.(seems like there’s trouble with some tracks)
Pretty good chance I’ll be going to island park for 2 week long trips next year. One trip with experienced riders and most are snowchecking 165 21’ poos
I’m still learning/moderately skilled rider that’s looking to upgrade from my 16 sno pro 153 and here’s a few options..

1. Used 20’ 154 Alpha hardcore with 200 miles on it(supposedly no issues) $11,000

2. New 19’ mountain cat twin rails either 153 or 162 with 90 day warranty(starts day you purchase so not much value if I buy in spring) $9,999

3. Snowcheck new cat or poo(might have an opportunity to get into a 21 poo for close to the same price as a cat with 4 year warranty)

Been a cat guy since birth but don’t wanna have blinders on either. Appreciate any input given, Thanks

L
Nov 25, 2018
I've ridden well set up Alpha's and I always go back to my 19 MC twin rail. It's great in all conditions and you don't have to worry about the rail breaking. I'm a big guy 6'7", 250lbs, so it is more twitchy for me, but like others stated, if it's not deep powder, you're not going to tell the difference and might prefer the twin rail.

I also don't get any less tired riding the alpha vs my 19MC because of fighting the alpha in undesirable conditions. low snow, trails, following, or in a well-ridden area goes to the twin rail.

For $10K, I'd pick it up, flash it with either Silber or Precision, can, and oil and gas for the rest of the season!

Premium Features