• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Question?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
What is the difference between 91 octane ethanol free gas, and 91 octane ethanol free non oxygenated gas? Thx.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
If you have access to non ethanol fuel that’s what you want. Yes, ethanol is the oxygenator. I do not have access to it here in the San Fran Bay Area so I run a 50/50 blend of 100 octane low lead avgas (non eth) and 91 octane pump premium (10% ethanol). Works great for me and smells great! If you like the smell of leaded airplane exhaust that is lol.

M
Oct 10, 2012
North Dakota
Stay away from ethanol gas in these high performance machines. It burns hotter and dryer than 91 octane gas. It can melt down an engine if run to much of it. Also I am not sure about what it does to plastic as 80 per ethanol is really hard on plastic. Its an excellent cleaner to. Have had trouble with oxygen sensors in the past and the dealer though it might be that there is ethanol in the gas up here in North Dakota.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Most likely the same as stated. However you could still have oxygenated fuel without ethanol, with something like MTBE as the oxygenate. But I believe that's been banned due to water table pollution.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Stay away from ethanol gas in these high performance machines. It burns hotter and dryer than 91 octane gas. It can melt down an engine if run to much of it. Also I am not sure about what it does to plastic as 80 per ethanol is really hard on plastic. Its an excellent cleaner to. Have had trouble with oxygen sensors in the past and the dealer though it might be that there is ethanol in the gas up here in North Dakota.

Ethanol actually has less heat energy in it than gasoline. That means less power produced from it. Is it enough you would “feel” a difference, probably not but is what it is. The worst thing about ethanol is that it attracts water. Water in your fuel is never good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features