• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Santa, All I want in a 2021 Polaris RMK is....

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
Taking a turbo from sea level to 10,000' is where my money would be. I haven't see an aftermarket kit that'll do that(most likely because nobody wants to spend that kind of money for 4psi). I ride around home at 3000' then go to BC and ride up to 9500', If the doo can do this I'm all ears. One year warranty on it though makes me think doo isn't all that confident in it

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Polaris Engineers have tested turbos on the 800 and 850. When and if they make it commercially is the question. I strangely enjoy riding the other manufactures sleds to compare pros and cons of each. I have dealerships of each near by as well so that is not a factor of why I ride Polaris its because of the "pros" of the Axys chassis I will continue on Polaris. Could they make improvements? Yes. Are some of them reading this forum? Yes, look at a few of the names of "Who read this tread" below. They haven't chimed in yet publicly but they are reading your comments and taking notes. Hint, if you fill strongly about your suggestions back it up with some good justification for example: The Skidoo "Shot" electric start saves valuable weight and eliminates the mechanical failure factor compared to Polaris's very heavy lead acid battery, battery tray and brackets, thick wires, cooper wound heavy starter and heavy clutch gear (rotating weight), and is cheaper to make and instal on the assembly line. Win for consumers, win for Polaris and win for the continued fight for the lightest sled.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I agree with you on the electric start. They really have to come up with something that is more reliable and sounds better.Most of the time when its really cold it doesn't even work.
Personally I think it would be worth it to Polaris to pay them for a patent right or just make something similar. Anyone remember the total weight of the Polaris kit?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Personally I think it would be worth it to Polaris to pay them for a patent right or just make something similar. Anyone remember the total weight of the Polaris kit?

As much as I like polaris they would need to make the sleds start easier for “shot” to actually work.

The 270 degree rotation that shot gives isn’t enough to get an 850 poo motor running.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
As much as I like polaris they would need to make the sleds start easier for “shot” to actually work.

The 270 degree rotation that shot gives isn’t enough to get an 850 poo motor running.
I'm pretty sure the SHOT system only works because the 850etec is direct injected, so Polaris would have to go direct injected for the same concept to work. With the Patriot being brand new, I don't see that happening any time soon on a top of the line model. I could see them trying it on a 600ish engine though, isn't the current 600 basically unchanged since the Pro days, maybe even IQ days? Maybe they'll come out with something to fill the gap between 600 and 850, and get rid of the current 800 too?

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

This is so true. My 2020 850 Doo only requires one pull to start, even on break-in. It don't even feel like you get through one stroke of compression and the thing jumps to life.

My wishlist for the 2021 Polaris is simple. Make an engine that doesn't foul the plugs. Might sound stupid to you guys.. but two times my old 800 axys fouled the plugs in -30C.. It didn't make me feel great about my purchase at all. From what I've heard the 850 is no different.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I believe the direct injection is key to the SHOT system. They may be able to develop a lightweight electric start kit that would have a slight weight penalty and a lot lighter than the current design. The turbo can certainly done but meeting emissions is probably the biggest issue. Maybe the direct injection is key to meeting emissions as well. I'm sure we will see a turbo from Polaris in the next few years, they probably knew Skidoo was working on one. Where I ride I would prefer the next Polaris chassis to be lighter and narrower before I could afford and justify a boosted sled, $18,000+ new is a lot of money. Not that it isn't worth it and not that it isn't priced fairly - that's just a lot of money on a toy.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I personally do not want any narrower sled would like a lower seat, better 3.5 pitch lightweight track belt drive on 3 in. Some type of shot system the starter sound like an old Briggs and Stratton.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I’m old school. If you can’t pull the cord you should’t be riding it! When I was a kid my dad said when you can pull start it you can ride it. I pulled for three damn years.. ugg ugg Finally BRRAAP! I about sh!t my pants! I’ll never forget that. Shot is for sissy skidoo riders! Dad also said if you want more power get a bigger engine. Quit screwing around!

Forget the factory Turbos. They only benefit a small group of mountain riders that ride high elevation. They simply won’t work at 0-5000’ unless you have access to high octane race fuel. Yes race fuel sounds cool but after the third fill up you’ll hate it! So it doesn’t make sense for a production sled. The market for an expensive factory turbo sled is very limited.

However a big bore engine does make sense for production IMO. A 1050cc or 1150cc N/A twin engine 195-200 HP (at sea level) is the next step. Less parts is better ALWAYS!

As you go up in elevation you lose air density and power. So the high elevation riders can turbo them aftermarket to recover lost power if they want. However If 200hp N/A becomes 175hp at 8000’ it is still an awesome ride on the AXYS chassis. (and less parts to break)

Note Xscream watercraft is now making a 1400cc twin engine for freestyle skis.

So jumbo jug twins are possible!

There is no replacement for displacement when you are limited to pump 90 octane

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Would love to pour oil and not worry about clutch below. Cat is leading the way om cooling; enough of it, lighter and you don't ice up stuff so much (including bibs!). Not so easy to do aftermarket..
Adjustable riser like Doo has, could drop the lineup of different bars.
More options on gear ratios for belt drive is over due!
And perhaps it is time to drop the hood mounted headlight?? I mean, for nighttime riding the headlight just makes it impossible to see where the terrain is going! Up or down? The light beam just blocks my view.

And lighter sells in my book!

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m old school. If you can’t pull the cord you should’t be riding it! When I was a kid my dad said when you can pull start it you can ride it. I pulled for three damn years.. ugg ugg Finally BRRAAP! I about sh!t my pants! I’ll never forget that. Shot is for sissy skidoo riders! Dad also said if you want more power get a bigger engine. Quit screwing around!

Forget the factory Turbos. They only benefit a small group of mountain riders that ride high elevation. They simply won’t work at 0-5000’ unless you have access to high octane race fuel. Yes race fuel sounds cool but after the third fill up you’ll hate it! So it doesn’t make sense for a production sled. The market for an expensive factory turbo sled is very limited.

However a big bore engine does make sense for production IMO. A 1050cc or 1150cc N/A twin engine 195-200 HP (at sea level) is the next step. Less parts is better ALWAYS!

As you go up in elevation you lose air density and power. So the high elevation riders can turbo them aftermarket to recover lost power if they want. However If 200hp N/A becomes 175hp at 8000’ it is still an awesome ride on the AXYS chassis. (and less parts to break)

Haha good one!
You’re hilarious.

Have you considered stand up comedy?
(You might need a time machine though since you’re content comes from the 90’s)

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Haha good one!
You’re hilarious.

Have you considered stand up comedy?
(You might need a time machine though since you’re content comes from the 90’s)

Don’t get beat by an old man though.. You’ll get buried in sh!t talk from the 90s. Back when men were men and they could actually pull a fockin rip cord!

Kids don’t even GET to have thumb ache from triples anymore. And now they want a fockin auto-starter.

Cry Babies!

Last edited:

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
AK Ride zone.. Sea level - 8000’

Leave turbo at home, unless you also have a helicopter to go get it..

Jumbo Jugs needed!

dff5719df9821ad369bd0f81690d28a5.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

While I disagree with most things you've said here, I'll just point out a simple fact to you... the 850 etec turbo is designed to not boost at sea level, thus burning 91 octane from 0-8000 feet and making 165hp the entire time doing it.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
AK Ride zone.. Sea level - 8000’

Leave turbo at home, unless you also have a helicopter to go get it..

Jumbo Jugs needed!

dff5719df9821ad369bd0f81690d28a5.jpg

Oh you were actually serious?
Awkward.......

That is hilarious though.

I don’t see much point in refuting your points one by one.

A broad statement of “you’re delusional and misguided” should cover everything.

PS I ride a boosted sled all over alaska......

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

emoji2962.png

emoji1303.png
That 1400 is a freestyle competition motor. Not a reliable snowmobile motor. Not ment to hold it to the wood for long periods. Rebuilt before or at 50 hours. Leave turbo at home but take the 1400?
200 hp is more like 150 at 8000 feet. Doos turbo wins in that scenario.
As far as shot or estart it is a huge win for most. Nothing to do with being a sissy. That mentality and i would still be tying rebar with a twister instead of my battery powered rebar gun that is 3 times faster. I have always loved the I've been doing this for 40 years mentality

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Oh you were actually serious?
Awkward.......

That is hilarious though.

I don’t see much point in refuting your points one by one.

A broad statement of “you’re delusional and misguided” should cover everything.

PS I ride a boosted sled all over alaska......

On a factory motor? Wait.. is that yours on Craigslist with a “fresh” top end...? Don’t fib now.. tell the truth! Ha Ha

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
My point is big twin engines are being built and could be designed by OEMs for production. The market is larger since the gains would be realized at all elevations. Polaris should do variations of 850 engine for production. It would be cheaper than a factory turbo. So lets quit messin around!

840cc (175hp) trail sled engine
1040cc (195HP) Wife’s mountain sled
1240cc (215HP) AXYS Mountain monster for MEN!

Correct on Doo turbo winning at 8000’ now. But how many people ride 7-10k’ How big is the market? How many are actually going to spend big money for factory sled offering no real gain at lower elevation? The delusional people might drop the coin!

When SHOT start dies or doesn’t work in the middle of no where and rider can’t pull the rope... Rider becomes a SISSY.

I better start working out, so I don’t become the SISSY that cant start my 1240! Ha Ha

Premium Features