• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rough idling 2020experts

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Anybody else experiencing rough idling 2020’s? The two experts I have ridden have an obvious rough idle and even quit occasionally. It’s very different from the 17-19’s. Thought about pulling plugs and checking the indexing. Anybody else??

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Anybody else experiencing rough idling 2020’s? The two experts I have ridden have an obvious rough idle and even quit occasionally. It’s very different from the 17-19’s. Thought about pulling plugs and checking the indexing. Anybody else??
When I first start it if I don't rev it a little in the beginning it will die.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Mine idles rough as well. It idles good then misses for a sec, RPM drops to 8 or 900 real quite then back up to 1200. Has quite once. Put new plugs in no real change.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Mine does it cold or warmed up, pretty much all the time, just at idle, runs like a champ everywhere else

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
I will take more notice tomorrow. With "shot" I'm trending to turn it off but will let it idle longer out of curiosity.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
We rented a 2020 summit sp in wolf creek two weeks ago, when we started it to load it up, it died couple times. Throughout the day I thought it idled rough and too low dipping below 1000 a lot. It quit once but after that I kind of feathered it a little if I idled. My point being I don’t think it’s isolated to experts

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I just changed my head out on my expert and both plugs were not indexed correctly to the injectors. Prior to this my sled idled like crap. With new plugs correctly indexed my sled runs and idles perfect

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I just changed my head out on my expert and both plugs were not indexed correctly to the injectors. Prior to this my sled idled like crap. With new plugs correctly indexed my sled runs and idles perfect
Ok I guess I'm checking my plugs

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I just went and pulled my plugs, sure enough they were exactly wrong on both cylinders blocking the injector. Reset them in the acceptable range and my idle seems to be steady at 1200 now, it never dropped to 800 like it would do before. I would say if you have a rough idle I would check this out

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
My 2020 has had a rough idle as well.......worse once warm and up on the hill.....hasn’t died yet while idling but idles low and rough with a miss every now and then......but otherwise it pulls hard and is running like a champ.....just a rough idle once warm. Nice to hear I am not the only one.......oh and my sled is 175 Summit-X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Well guys I just confirmed that it’s the spark plugs not being torqued and indexed causing these issues. Mine were 180 degrees out and were not torqued down at all. I marked them and reinstalled them with proper torque and they were spot on. Idle is smooth now and proper rpm. It doesn’t stumble and die any more and it also doesn’t die going into reverse anymore. Probably worth a hp or two even on the top end
I bet! Check your plugs folks! Or have your dealer take care of it. ?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Mine idles ok but will make a weird low tone blurp,blurp,blurp, and then back to normal idle. It does this right after you work it a bit then come to a stop.

Premium Features