• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Santa, All I want in a 2021 Polaris RMK is....

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
A throttle block that does not fall appart on a small impact, and freeze up In over the hood snow.

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
Definitely a new/improved throttle block that doesn't pack with snow.

new/ improved break lever.

I think a big part of polaris' nimbleness compared to doo is because of the 15" wide track compared to 16" of Doo. What about the idea of going to a 14" wide track? I understand you'd lose some flotation, but how much weight could also be lost in the process? narrower tunnel to stand over. Plus I think the idea of a sub 400 lb sled would be a marketers dream that would sell a ton of sleds.

As front ends continue to get narrower, the shock lengths are getting shorter. I think the next chassis will have upper shock mounting brackets that are raised a couple inches compared to current axys chassis

goggle bag that actually holds a pair of goggles well.

What are the chances we actually see an all new mtn chassis for 2021?

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
It’s time for a new 3” track, probably a 3.5” pitch. The series 7 is leaving something on the table, and that thing is performance.

Short seat (height wise). Hop overs are one move that is way harder on a new sled than a 90s sled. They’re even worse with low bars. I feel like I’m doing a handstand every time I do a hop over, and the feeling is unnerving and perverse. Make it go away.

Would it be possible to configure the GPS screen on the PIDD to show you where other riders in your group are? That would be a useful feature that would also bring riders of other brands to Polaris. The exclusion factor for Doo and Cat guys would be off the charts, which of course would please us all tremendously.

Short tunnel. Seems like the cool thing to do nowadays. Gets rid of weight too. And according to Ski-Doo Expert riders, they are IMPOSSIBLE TO GET STUCK, MAN!!! (Ski-Doo guys say “man” a lot).

I went to buy an electronic version of the shop manual from Polaris so I could have it on the mountain. They didn’t have one, so I felt sad.

Keep reducing weight! Light weight is the single biggest reason to own a Polaris. Could another 15 lb be shaved off somehow? Of course, ski doo guys would loathe us even more. They really are something, aren’t they?

This might seem odd for guys that live in the mountains, but for those of us who flatland ride our RMKs around home, you can never find the switch to dim the headlights when you meet a car. The guy in the car then hates you and if you are really unlucky, proceeds to throw a grenade at you. Then you perish. Please make that switch easier to find somehow. I miss the Gen 2/ Edge setup.

This is probably a looonnnng ways off, and probably belongs in another thread, but whoever is able to eliminate the clutches, jackshaft, and chaincase and replace them with something more efficient will have the world’s first 300 lb sled with 130 hp at the track. And the world’s first trillion dollar bill. Man, what a nice conversation piece at parties. Polaris executives, are you listening?

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Wow. I’ve bashed Polaris for their shortcomings but Let’s stop for a minute and recognize how great these sleds really are and how well they handle and the obscene places we put them???

Some good ideas have been captured.

Continue with the wire connector and wiring improvements we have seen.

I’d like to see a heated brake lever.

If I had no budget, I’d like to see a direct injected 850.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
I just remembered one more really important thing this morning.

Job #1: Do no harm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please just don't ruin it. You have created the most awesome sled I've ever ridden. Your motto of keep it light keep it simple make it work has given us an awesome sled. Please don't ruin a good thing.

We saw Polaris ruin a good thing in 2005. We saw ski-doo ruin a good thing in 2008. We saw cat ruin a good thing in 2012. The #1 job first and foremost for Polaris right now is to not ruin a good thing. These sleds are so awesome as-is right now that I hope they are really really sure that any changes they make are an improvement.

A heated brake lever would be nice indeed. Also, a better brake lever that more resembles the levers offered on high end mountain bikes these days. Every Polaris pro rider tells us to ride with one finger on the brake and then Polaris sends us a sled that is really really not conducive to doing so. The left hand knoweth not what the right hand sayeth.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I just remembered one more really important thing this morning.

Job #1: Do no harm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please just don't ruin it. You have created the most awesome sled I've ever ridden. Your motto of keep it light keep it simple make it work has given us an awesome sled. Please don't ruin a good thing.

We saw Polaris ruin a good thing in 2005. We saw ski-doo ruin a good thing in 2008. We saw cat ruin a good thing in 2012. The #1 job first and foremost for Polaris right now is to not ruin a good thing. These sleds are so awesome as-is right now that I hope they are really really sure that any changes they make are an improvement.

A heated brake lever would be nice indeed. Also, a better brake lever that more resembles the levers offered on high end mountain bikes these days. Every Polaris pro rider tells us to ride with one finger on the brake and then Polaris sends us a sled that is really really not conducive to doing so. The left hand knoweth not what the right hand sayeth.

Still love this video... the guys who built this sled were so excited and proud of it- and rightfully so.

Been fun to watch a sled that seemed perfect in 2011 evolve into what we have today.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Short seat (height wise). Hop overs are one move that is way harder on a new sled than a 90s sled. They’re even worse with low bars. I feel like I’m doing a handstand every time I do a hop over, and the feeling is unnerving and perverse. Make it go away.

listening?

I’m just going to say not everyone thinks of “hopovers” as just stepping over the seat.

The actual maneuver (changing direction from sidehill one way to sidehill the other way Uphill in around 4-6’ of space) uses a lot of features that the 90’s sleds don’t have.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
So when do we find out, first week in March. Anybody heard the release date?

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Still love this video... the guys who built this sled were so excited and proud of it- and rightfully so.

Been fun to watch a sled that seemed perfect in 2011 evolve into what we have today.

I love how you can take the script, update the outfits and replace footage with the new sled and call it a day. Just goes to show the things we look for in sleds haven't changed much

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I’m just going to say not everyone thinks of “hopovers” as just stepping over the seat.

The actual maneuver (changing direction from sidehill one way to sidehill the other way Uphill in around 4-6’ of space) uses a lot of features that the 90’s sleds don’t have.

What I meant was when you’re sidehilling one way and you need to cut uphill and immediately sidehill back the other way, you jump from your left foot on the right running board to your right foot on the left running board (or vice versa) as you make the turn. The high seat gets in the way and forces you to jump really high in order to do it. 90s sleds had low seats, so you didn’t have to jump as high. Definitely more commitment required to pull it off on new sleds.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What I meant was when you’re sidehilling one way and you need to cut uphill and immediately sidehill back the other way, you jump from your left foot on the right running board to your right foot on the left running board (or vice versa) as you make the turn. The high seat gets in the way and forces you to jump really high in order to do it. 90s sleds had low seats, so you didn’t have to jump as high. Definitely more commitment required to pull it off on new sleds.

I understood that you think the seat inhibits hopovers........

Don’t forget the Newer seat being shorter in length allows your foot (which is shaped like an L) to pass over the tunnel rather than catching on the bump on the back of the old sleds 3’ long banana seat.

(Although you must be 4’8” tall because my 13 year old boy has no problems with them)

However a 99 700 rmk with a 136 (Best handling sled of the 90’s) is going to take soooo much more effort and skill to achieve an actual hopover that I think you are delusional in thinking it would require “less commitment”

Have you ridden an old bathtub lately?

It’s like wrestling a water buffalo.

850 pro rmk Vs. 700 rmk
520# rtr vs 640# rtr
160 hp. Vs. 120 hp.
155x2.6. Vs. 136x1.75

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
im only 5'6" and the low rise seat is a huge improvement for offtrail, and find its better as well on the trail as i felt was always sitting to high.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would like to see polaris and all the manufacturers redo their fuel tanks and make the oil tank centered up and part of the fuel tank. Polaris could relocate the 3 switches and have the oil filler right above the fuel cap. Weight centered instead of off to one side or the other.

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
I would like to see polaris and all the manufacturers redo their fuel tanks and make the oil tank centered up and part of the fuel tank. Polaris could relocate the 3 switches and have the oil filler right above the fuel cap. Weight centered instead of off to one side or the other.

It'd be nice if they made a bigger tank so we didn't have to pack fuel

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
It was another MFG. that started the smaller tank thing, then immediately began pushing the RTR (ready to ride) weight narrative, so they could compete with the lighter sleds. I personally like the bigger tank on the Polaris so we usually don't have to pack fuel.

The oil tank size and location that Turboless Terry suggested is GREAT!!! My oil tank will hold 3.5 quarts completely full. That is quite a bit of weight on the side + the weight of the clutches on the same side.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I too agree that the oil tank being centered and/or built into the gas tank like the skinz one would be sweeet. Burandts been posting pics of his mod sleds, and there is so much more room to work on things without the oil tank being there.

I will be MAD if they go to a smaller fuel tank, I would actually prefer them add a pound or two and give us an extra gallon or two of tank space. Would be SO much better than having to pack that weight at the rear of the sled. If you don't want 11-13 gallons... don't put 11-13 gallons in your tank!

Premium Features