• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike spindles and strength

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Let me first say... I by no means think this spindle should have survived hitting the rock I did... I have to replace and trying to decide which one to get. On one hand you want the spindle to give to not snap the fork. In this case I was in second gear landing a small jump and was exiting. It was a flat spine type rock. Hot the left side blade on the yeti. It sheared all the bolts and broke all three carbon blades. I was not hurt ... it did not even sting. It dented my lower tubes. The ski spun around backwards. Luckily had a friend who could deliver a timbersled spindle and ski to get out. So I am still replacing both fork tubes. Would I be better with a cmx type spindle and bending the forks and spindle but maybe still limping out ... what are everyone thoughts.
38a0b0a726a931a5b55f7bdc8e93cf39.jpg
7c977532713bcd6344beed5e6e63413b.jpg
bcdef78c45bd2e331f8baeeb6bd514f9.jpg
84e95bcd4f003ad6c3bfa16d4661dcb1.jpg
85ceb6bd0daf9918d0521a1643a5cdff.jpg

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
typical piece of **** yeti carbon fibre kit. mine did the same thing, twice. its a horrible idea to have it there. first one I destroyed leaving an ice crossing and hit the ice wall a tad hard. second center blade cracked from light use in 3 rides.

I ended up making the center blade from aluminum (yeti part number YPSP1815D5 ).... a stronger material AND I added way more material around the axle too. its solid now. I got a few spares if any future yeti users are interested... dont waste your $100 on the **** yeti cabron center blades. the outsides I do NOT have though.

page 24 for 2017 kit: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...e/1512524328533/YETI+BOM+Drawings+MY+2017.pdf

a guy I know was riding with Alfredo Gomez, I saw on his IG he hit a rock and bent his timbersled kit pretty good too.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
typical piece of **** yeti carbon fibre kit. mine did the same thing, twice. its a horrible idea to have it there. first one I destroyed leaving an ice crossing and hit the ice wall a tad hard. second center blade cracked from light use in 3 rides.

I ended up making the center blade from aluminum (yeti part number YPSP1815D5 ).... a stronger material AND I added way more material around the axle too. its solid now. I got a few spares if youre interested... dont waste your $100 on the **** yeti cabron center blades. the outsides I do NOT have though.

page 24 for 2017 kit: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...e/1512524328533/YETI+BOM+Drawings+MY+2017.pdf

did you bend your fork tubes?

ill get some pics shortly.

a guy I know was riding with Alfredo Gomez, I saw on his IG he hit a rock and bent his timbersled kit pretty good too.
Yep fork tubes are don't they are dented don't want to chance it.. but my thought is if you bend you can still ride out... there was no way for me to ride out are limp out which was more concerning for me.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Yep fork tubes are don't they are dented don't want to chance it.. but my thought is if you bend you can still ride out... there was no way for me to ride out are limp out which was more concerning for me.

you should seen the contraption I had ratchet strapped to get my ski back on half ass to limp it out. ski was crooked, added major resistance. ended up overheating motor, warping head, frying my motor, getting metal in bottom end, clogging an oil jet, and frying a second brand new 520 bb kit all over that crooked ski ride.

I also bent my fork tubes but JUST where the yeti clamps go... the bottom 1/2" on the forks. I clamped em back on and have ran it since. new fork lowers arent cheap.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So that's where mine bent.. so no issues running them dented and bent... my worry was the next hit it would snap the tube... they are like 500 dollars to replace...then the blades, bolts and what ever other parts I could not find so I figure north of a grand

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Every bolt on the mount sheared off where it was connected to the fork..

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Literally landed... handlebars turned, landed in snow. I think for the carbon the side load is its weak point..

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I wish the manufacturers would find a way to make a shear bolt in the spindle somewhere. If you found a hard spot, I'd rather replace a bolt or two than have to buy new forks and spindle....

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I had a Mototrax for a small bit I did not like how the ski would flip up... has that changed?

E
Dec 19, 2007
As for mtx they sometimes bend the bar slightly and sometimes sheer 2 bolts which I carry spares. The bar is cheap or can be easily straightened in a press. Either way it's minimal to fix. The bottom block and rubber have been updated with much tighter fork to ski feel. But the spindle to ski bushings seem to wear fast. Mtx parts are cheap though the whole updated bottom block is $40 with new bushings a ts is over $100 for the same part.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I think if you only want tough you cant beat the Camso spindle. I really don't think there is any way you could damage that thing. The forks will fold long before the spindle gives up.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Glad they didn't snap and you were able to get it out at least. I honestly ran the MotoTrax spindle for a short time on my MH kit and ended up getting some carnage on something I think the TS MH spindle would have taken. I was transitioning from one side hill to another through a tight gully, ski went down and snagged something (all I saw was willow branches under the surface) but popped out and I got stuck coming out the other side. Got around the front of my bike to pull the ski around and the front of the fork lug had broken off the bottom of my fork leg. One of the upper mounting plates on the MotoTrax spindle was a total failure and the axle was super bent, D bar was completely straight but the bottom of my fork lugs both had damage from the D bar contacting it. I think the D Bar is the most heavy duty part of their spindle so I don't see it going before other parts. Although maybe it was just my bad luck and my fork lug was brittle, it was a 5 year old bike at that time. Still have all the parts, the plate that went on the spindle looked like it might have had a fracture point in it, maybe just a bad part?

It will be interesting as more CMX kits get out there and even the Snowtech MX spindle is very similar. A solid block machined out. If I'm not mistaken, CMX has the thoughts that with a rigid spindle with no flex the energy will be transferred up into the suspension. I'm not sure the force is the same as a tire, they just weren't made for what we do to them. Sounds great, I'm just not sure it will always work like that, so when you do have a super rigid one I'm guessing the tubes will just snap off, then it will be horrible to limp out. Would be nice if someone came up with a spindle that fixed all our issues. ?‍♂️

E
Dec 19, 2007
My custom spindles are shorter and hoping it will place less crash force into the bottom of the fork legs. They were never designed for those forces so shorter spindles have less leverage.
The snow hawk spindle was really short but the chassis was designed around it and required that goofy steering linkage.
Our bikes could theoretically work with a very short spindle but it would make the seat slope forward and the strut would need to be way long.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
One guy hits a rock and one hits an ice wall. Stuff will break. This is what happens riding early season. No cryin’ or insulting manufacturers ya bedwetters.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Yup it reminds me how the pro rmk used to bend the tunnels because the a-arms were too strong. then the axxys arms bent like butter and everyone complained they were too weak. I think some breakable parts in the spindle is probably a good thing.
How about an aftermarket company building snow bike specific forks that are longer and attach right to the ski with no spindle needed. They could build the upper tubes longer and bigger diameter so the force on the lower tubes are no different than a bike. Doesn't sound like a cheap option though.

Premium Features