• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tampico 19/20

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Late start for the season.
I know peeps have been riding the last 3 weeks.
My first ride was today.
Unloaded at the parking lot.
40miles.
Skis bouncing of rocks on all the roads below 4,500ft.
2-3ft up high, still not much of a base.
Seen quite a few broken sleds. A-arms and spindles. Broken wearbars/carbides.
I still do not recommend climbing any hills. There are some that are safe but 10ft either side and u will likely hit big rocks and or stumps.

After this snow settles this week and we get another ft, it will be pretty good.
5ffbc25a8a326c95c6862087a87648dd.jpg

Sent it
0b2c841dc82d359e497d8ecb25396a3e.jpg

Tampico

Premium Member
Aug 20, 2008
Tampico, WA
Tampico Update 12/19/2019; 2220 hr. 2 Mile below DNR work center.

Raining, 30F on top of 5-6" new snow earlier today (changed over to rain at around 1900). The large "dump" earlier forecast did not materialize. Snow levels should rise through the night, nearing 6K through Saturday before lowering again to winter rec parking area on Sunday. Rain amounts forecast are 1-2" - not good. Extremely icy (on top of snow) out there now. There is an avalanche warning out now also.

Tampico

Tampico

Premium Member
Aug 20, 2008
Tampico, WA
12/20/19 1000 update - hit 45F early morning, temp has dropped back down to 38F. Raining at this time/ w lots of low level melt. Very slushy, plow and grader have been up so roads are in decent shape (actually worse lower down).

Tampico

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Very DEEP up top!
Avy's are happening. I would stay off all of the hills till the snow settles .

Sent it
How much snow did they get on top and at the snow pole? There was only about 2 1/2 feet last weekend. I didn't even go because I figured it all got rained on and probably only got about a foot before that.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Oh that is more than I figured. Still probably not enough to really get off the road much without worrying about land mines. How much at tree phones?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Its more than deep enough to get stuck everywhere if u want.
4-6ft in the trees.
I know cause we left a few 5ft trenches on flat ground... lol

I would still be careful off the trails. And absolutely stay off the hills.
f3b35319c68b889aa1a1a27ad5cef33b.jpg

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Where did you unload.?
U have no choice other than the parking lots. Gates are closed and u wouldn't want to drive up that nasty icy rd. Its not to bad on a sled. My Alpha only warmed up to 131° before whites ridge then dropped.
Definitely need some snow down low.
Parking lot is mostly gravel. The road into the parking lot was a sheet of ice , bad enough for me to use 4wheel drive right after the first bridge, i couldn't keep the back tires from spinning .

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Oh that is more than I figured. Still probably not enough to really get off the road much without worrying about land mines. How much at tree phones?
Treephones has just enough for staying on the road.
When this snow settles, we are gonna have a great base and off trail riding will be good!

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Snow has settled and we have a great base above 6k ft.
Northfork gate needs a much better route for snowmobiles. 5 out of 6 snowmobiles got stuck in the rocks and dirt trying to go around the gate. It took 2 guys pulling the skis, Very unacceptable.
Sole purpose of the gate is to preserve groomed trails for snowmobilers, should not hinder snowmobiles. DNR should have provided a viable route for all snowmobiler skill levels.... there is no way my mom and her friends could go for a ride themselves and safely get around that gate.

Side x sides traveling from dome peak to foundation ridge(or vice versa) left massive ruts on the road for miles.

Sent it

mxroses

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Selah,WA.
Snow has settled and we have a great base above 6k ft.
Northfork gate needs a much better route for snowmobiles. 5 out of 6 snowmobiles got stuck in the rocks and dirt trying to go around the gate. It took 2 guys pulling the skis, Very unacceptable.
Sole purpose of the gate is to preserve groomed trails for snowmobilers, should not hinder snowmobiles. DNR should have provided a viable route for all snowmobiler skill levels.... there is no way my mom and her friends could go for a ride themselves and safely get around that gate.

Side x sides traveling from dome peak to foundation ridge(or vice versa) left massive ruts on the road for miles.

Sent it
Thank you for the update

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I'll second the comment about the north fork gate, Totally ridiculous the way it is now.

The base is pretty good up high, though you can still hit things if you start trenching down or aren't watching for the taller stumps, aside from that it's not too bad above 6K, but stay up high and stay west, the snow disappears quickly down lower and to the east. We had a pretty fun day until having to deal with the north fork gate. The fact that 5 advanced level riders needed help pulling/pushing/lifting in order to get around the gate is unacceptable. The sleds wouldn't even move because of the skis getting hung up on rocks and tracks spinning on frozen dirt via the dugout path provided.
f6db7e8e50eb7fb2cb7f9d85ac2b83b1.jpg
a885c520df9844bca57bbbacce28c400.jpg

Premium Features