• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fires With Friends

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Let's see those fires with friends while out sleddin' in the Backcountry!

I'll start with my daughter playin' while my dad gathers wood. Second pic is cookin' up dogs with a bud.
96a9db3ad71ff101bb063d1b0bb38f7a.jpg

campfire.JPG

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Works a LOT better if you dig a pit first...

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
... sounds like alot of work when the pit will make itself ;)

Wow, haven't spent much time in the woods I see... If you let the fire dig the pit the heat just goes straight up and the snow eventually puts it out. If you dig the pit first, which only takes minutes with the proper shovel, you can stand in the pit with the fire and get warm and dry quickly. You should try it sometime, it is a much more efficient use of the wood you took time to collect...

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Wow, haven't spent much time in the woods I see... If you let the fire dig the pit the heat just goes straight up and the snow eventually puts it out. If you dig the pit first, which only takes minutes with the proper shovel, you can stand in the pit with the fire and get warm and dry quickly. You should try it sometime, it is a much more efficient use of the wood you took time to collect...
... take note of winky face, and look up definition of sarcasm

A
Jan 13, 2012
Central Washington
This was in April 1972. I was working for the USFS. We were given the money to pay for burning Lookouts that were no longer used. They were considered to be an "Attractive nuisance" and someone was liable to sue the FS if they were climbing around on them and got hurt. So, My friends and I had a nice snowmobile trip and hot dog roast courtisy of the USFS.

I am now retired and very greatful for having a job I thorouly enjoyed and looked foreward to each day.

Same lookout brand new 1934.
3ydGNsb.jpg

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You got paid by the gov't to go burn down gov't buildings?

Haha....

Thanks for the background. Sounds like a hell of an assignment. Especially on those old sleds!

Premium Features