• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To Yamaha or not to Yamaha that is the question

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Ohhh...$h!t....Back to choosing weight over power. Ok so like I said I'm older so I recall a guy on this site that was all about weight and tried to back it up better than most. Hmmm what was his user name.. 383 something. he was the best... Damn miss the good ole days of the forum...lol Any way if ur him and changed user name to Big1Inch I'll believe ya. If not Im skeptical. Talk about chute climbing being so 90's. Ive been trying to avoid trees with my sled since I learned to ride...lol Did pretty well til last season when I didn't. Trip to hospital, three broke ribs, couple missed months of an already to short season. Even if I could afford to own those light weight 2 strokes I wouldn't be banging the trees. At least not how all you 2stroke forum guys claim yall can and do. The realization that my mind, and mouth, are better at tossing my sled around than my ability has set in.. Thank God...I was going to get a YZF450 and thought damn...cant ride my sled like I was young, so prolly cant ride dirt bike like I once could. So got smart and went with roll bars and 4 point harness. Its not light either....lol Getting old sucks.

X3RC Turbo R.jpg

Last edited:

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
OK...before you read my explanation. I am Bias..Bleed Blue...to the point my Labs name is Yami... Reliability, Reliability, Reliability.. Least they were in the Good Ole Days...

Ahh Gotcha. Most on here know exactly what I'm saying, but you are correct. Most my die hard 2 stroke buddy's are rich and buy new sled every year def every other if new iron not impressive. That said I can afford the initial cost of a new bad ass, light weight, 2 stroke. Its the cost after purchase I cant afford. The break downs...Omg where to start. Damn, I was going to start listing the issues, but remembered we are on snowmobile forum...Issues are all known here.
I travel and chase snow to ride. So knowing in advance my sled is prone to sled failure/break down and is likely to occur is unacceptable. My opinion is most 2 stroke guys esp ones on older or high mileage machines accept the risk. 1-800-GAMBLER should be saved in their cell, and taped to lid of their tool box. I don't go on trips to have to shell out for rental sleds, plus there's usually no shop in area with time to repair ur broken sled. They to busy with ton of sleds in front of you, and they often don't parts available so ur SOL.. I'm use to Ole Yamaha quality/reliability and understand now I have a YamCat. I'm def worried about the known SWers/Cats issues. I snow checked my SW and if I'd known about the current issues I prolly woulda held out. Maybe not even have purchased one at all as Yamaha hasn't fixed the issues.
Now that I jinxed my SW for New Years trip in Island Park, West Yellowstone, and Togwotee. Don't read to much into my crap. I'm just funnin.. Boosted Yami's are my pill, but may not be for you...Plus

Disclaimer: Anyone who knows me will tell you I make Bad Bad Choices. At everything, so my advice 1 level above totally worthless.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Hell yes we do. You guys been out yet? Snowies are looking pretty awesome so far. Hopefully get enough of my snow wits back during this first trip of year to fair better if we meet up. May have to buy a damn 2stroke to half a$$ keep up with yall in that $h!t...wasn't lying when I said "Mind & Mouth" toss my sled around better than my ability...lol Witnesses...lol Still indebted to you for riding my broken tank out. No way I could managed without yall. $h!t I still feel bad I wasted a great day riding for you guys. Are you still running the Poo? She's a strong runner. TY again letting me ride her out.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Climbing or heading pretty much straight uphill or in deep pow, the turbo 4 stroke is a lot of fun and feels light. But when that nose is pointing downhill or off camber, it can feel like it is muscling you around...constantly feels like it will throw you over the bars downhill. For me, it adds up and you are much more tired at the end of the day. If you are bigger and in better shape and can handle those downhill situations, go for it. But the weight isn't all of it...the center of gravity is also higher, which creates a lot more twisting for, if you will, to throw you and the sled downhill.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Climbing or heading pretty much straight uphill or in deep pow, the turbo 4 stroke is a lot of fun and feels light. But when that nose is pointing downhill or off camber, it can feel like it is muscling you around...constantly feels like it will throw you over the bars downhill. For me, it adds up and you are much more tired at the end of the day. If you are bigger and in better shape and can handle those downhill situations, go for it. But the weight isn't all of it...the center of gravity is also higher, which creates a lot more twisting for, if you will, to throw you and the sled downhill.
I would agree with that.
The 4 Stroke is plenty capable, but it requires MORE MAN HANDLING than does a 2 stroke, and at the end of the day I was MORE TIRED than with my 2 strokes.
Both are FUN, but they are different kinds of fun.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
100% agree. Still love the boost. To bad they just cant get all that reliable power into a lightweight sled. Or even better find a way to make the current 2 strokes get the power and reliability of the Yam 4 Stroke. Bet they have answer to both.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
100% agree. Still love the boost. To bad they just cant get all that reliable power into a lightweight sled. Or even better find a way to make the current 2 strokes get the power and reliability of the Yam 4 Stroke. Bet they have answer to both.
You NAILED it right there.
Yamaha DOES have the technology to produce a high output LOW weight engine.
The sled market is just too dang small for them to invest the resources.

Premium Features