• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best gloves for cold hands

Tjyak50

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2019
Alpine, Wy
The problem of cold hands may not be caused by the gloves but rather by not properly insulating your core. When the bodies core starts to cool the blood from the extremities is withdrawn to the core to help warm the core, if the core is sufficiently warm blood is pushed out to extremities to regulate the core temperature and the hands will be nice and warm or at least not "cold".

Cold hands are just the symptom, the root cause is not having proper layers to keep the core warm.

Just my $.02
Tomorrow’s ride up the Greys River should be coldest of the season for me. Will experiment with your suggestion.

Managing heat is the continual battle in race cars, airplanes and for sure snowmobiles.
Tomorrow’s experiment will involve a warmer core package. I usually like a cooler core.
T

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
The gauntlets, like the Moose ones shown above, are the way to go. They are game changers and fold down next to nothing in your pack.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I always ride gauntlets. Klim 2.0 inner liners help. Fly Ignite heated gloves are awesome for cold hands my fingers never seem to warm up easy. Heated gloves and handguards to keep cold air off gloves helps alot

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I like Hestra three finger gloves. They have a wrist strap so you can remove them and they will simply hang from your hands. Kinda like that little kid that is always losing his gloves. They are almost as warm as mittens. I use them as spares for late in the day when it starts getting cold.

Amazon product ASIN B00F1F0FI6

I
Dec 21, 2016
I struggle with poor circulation in my hands and did not care for Coldguards on my FreeRide. I went thru multiple different gloves, avoiding mitts because I do not have an index finger on my left hand and would only want to use them in an emergency anyway. I’ve had good luck with Klim Fusion gloves; I use them for trail days and really cold temps or snotty conditions. They have a fleece partition in them to allow for more insulation to be on the palm or back of your hand. My Tobe Capto & SkiDoo Grip gloves are what I use most of the time. They are lightly insulated for better dexterity and breathe better.

At every stop on a cold day, I get up on my feet and move my arms around, making fists with my hands over and over again...which helps me out a ton. Keeping my feet and core warm has also helped.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
I struggle with poor circulation in my hands and did not care for Coldguards on my FreeRide. I went thru multiple different gloves, avoiding mitts because I do not have an index finger on my left hand and would only want to use them in an emergency anyway. I’ve had good luck with Klim Fusion gloves; I use them for trail days and really cold temps or snotty conditions. They have a fleece partition in them to allow for more insulation to be on the palm or back of your hand. My Tobe Capto & SkiDoo Grip gloves are what I use most of the time. They are lightly insulated for better dexterity and breathe better.

At every stop on a cold day, I get up on my feet and move my arms around, making fists with my hands over and over again...which helps me out a ton. Keeping my feet and core warm has also helped.

Look at the heated gloves from Fly, they work very well and last all day on a charge.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
...........I do not have an index finger on my left hand.......

Your handle is Icutmetl. Is Icutmetl and the missing index finger related?

I too have poor circulation. If super cold, I will stick my feet or hands underneath my exhaust on cold days.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'll second the recommendation for at least one model of hestra gloves. The army leather heli things are legit. Those are the gloves I keep in my pack for the 'shlt went sideways and and I'm freezing to death on the way back to the truck gloves." Also the ones I wear for stupid cold mornings starting on fast trail rides in.

Based on my experience with their newer suits and clothes I'm curious to check out some of the tobe stuff too. Good to hear positive feedback on those.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Do yourself a favor and buy the Grizzly Gauntlets by Skinz. Yes they're ugly, yes they're expensive. But they are absolutely functional. I have used the soft sock like gauntlets and liked the warmth but the problem was always they felt claustrophobic in that I couldn't take my hands on/off the bars quickly. So when I would get into tight technical riding I would have to take them off. But the Grizzly gauntlets don't get the in way hardly at all. Do you feel them some? Yes, however its so easy to get my hands in and out, plus they actually block all wind from touching your hands and allow the heated grips to do their job. Plus they have some rigidity they do perform some protection from branches and what not. I have them on every sled I own now.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Those gauntletts around the handlebars make a huge difference. Never used them until I got a snowbike with no hand warmers and it's the difference between insulated and uninstalled gloves.

The warmest gloves I've had (and still have) are some old thick Cabelas gauntlett type ski gloves. Another amazingly warm (and way easier to hold on with than big bulky ski gloves) idea is insulated rubber chore gloves. Mid length with the sheepskin looking lining. Theyre awesome and dont roll around like gloves with separate insulation, liner and shells.

After that, there's the whole line of Kinco arctic type gloves but you may as well just wrap a couple inches of foam around you hand and duck tape it on, because that might offer more dexterity than them things.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I feel your pain, I've been dealing with cold hands/white fingers for years. Best solution I came up with so far is I'll wear 3 finger mitts on the cold trail ride in and out. Then once we get to the play areas off trail, I will switch to a pair of thinner Motorfist or Outdoor Adventure gloves. The thinner gloves are way easier to off-trail ride in then the 3 finger mitts.
Sometimes I can get away with wearing the Motorfist gloves on the trail as well, as long as they are dry. I have fairly large Rox hand guards on my sled which also help.

Yes I agree with the post above, keeping your core warm makes a difference, especially my arms wearing long sleeved wool underwear seems to work well for me.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Regardless which gloves you use and have as backup, carry a pair of latex or nitrile etc gloves to wear in case you dont have a dry pair or need extra warmth. Put the latex gloves on and wear your snowmobile gloves over those.

I tried this near the end of our ride, even though I had a dry pair of gloves in my backpack. My regular gloves were very wet, inside and out, fingetips on them were encased in ice. I dug out the latex gloves and gave them a try. After riding with the handwarmers on high for a while to get some warmth, my hands were much easier to keep warm with intermittant use of the handwarmers because my skin wasnt in direct contact with the wet glove.

Another thing I will start carrying is a washcloth or hand towel to dry my hands better before putting my gloves on during the day. This will help keep my gloves interior dryer.

Feb 8, 2020
I have had the MCTi gloves for about a year and a half now and I can say that I'm crazy satisfied with how warm these keep my hands (found them here, maybe it helps you too, you can compare them with other selections if budget is an issue or you're looking for something else https://popular.reviews/ski-gloves/#2_MCTi_Mens). Even when temperatures were freezing, I was still fine after hours of skiing. Best of luck, hope you find what you're looking for!

Premium Features