• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bog that goes away upon restarting

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
2018 800, 800 or so miles.

There's a scenario I'm getting that's happened twice now. The sled runs fine, hits rpm, no weirdness. Then I got to start it and it's like the entire mapping is out of whack. It will run and engage but bogs with any sort of real throttle, and will just cut out. Then when I go to restart it, everything's fine again like nothing happened.

This is my first polaris since the dragon days but is there something going on with a TPS read upon startup, such that it gets 'set' wrong and then restarting it resets it?

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Throttle safety switch? Did you Check throttle cable adjustment?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Oh yeah, no TSS. Running a block off that came with a finger throttle.

But now that you mention it, it does behave a lot like the TSS tripping. If it was faulty though, it would be more consistent I'd think.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I believe it's just an electrical bridge that keeps the TSS sensor in the 'engaged' position. The wire with the thumb throttle gets taken off with the block, so this is just a plug on the harness end.

It's just a stand alone singular plug that serves as a cap, with no leads going anywhere. Basically just takes the TSS circuit out of the loop so to speak.

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Check the connections on the TSS or TSS bypass and check for rubbed wires on TSS harness. A friend of mine had a broken wire in the harness going up to the TSS last year and had the sa.e issue as you. Not saying this is for sure what's wrong just something to look at.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Check the connections on the TSS or TSS bypass and check for rubbed wires on TSS harness. A friend of mine had a broken wire in the harness going up to the TSS last year and had the sa.e issue as you. Not saying this is for sure what's wrong just something to look at.

Was the rubbing on the wire going to the throttle block or on the harness side?

My tether is also not working. I checked what I could outside today while riding and all connections are good. TSS bypass is in place and the tether is plugged in. Starting to think I had a rodent visitor this summer.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I believe his was the wires coming up along the steering post up to the handlebars, there was a wire that had broke inside the sheathing and would sometimes loose continuity.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I believe his was the wires coming up along the steering post up to the handlebars, there was a wire that had broke inside the sheathing and would sometimes loose continuity.

That whole stretch of wire doesn't even exist on my sled. Might be a similar phenomenon with something rubbing lower down on the harness side though. Thanks for the info!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
What do you have for a tether? I had a pro armor tether that would get water in it and it would cut out almost like a bad tss. When you say not working is it still hooked up?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Still hooked up. But behaving like it's not hooked up. It doesn't do anything. Standard cheapo polaris tether.

The bog is a different issue I think. It did it to me one day last year and then never again until yesterday. But the tether was working last year.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Still hooked up. But behaving like it's not hooked up. It doesn't do anything. Standard cheapo polaris tether.

The bog is a different issue I think. It did it to me one day last year and then never again until yesterday. But the tether was working last year.

Disconnect it to eliminate the chance of it interfering?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Okay, something is seriously up with this thing. It started doing it to me again to day but would do it fully revved in the middle of a climb. It would burble and just cut off. Then run completely fine again.

Something's up with the electrical system in this thing that's getting tripped for some reason.

This isn't ringing a bell with anyone?

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Riding buddy had an almost identical issue - would come and go. He took it to the dealer and they said it had been setting codes but he never got a check engine/warning light. They replaced the ECU and the problem was solved. Only other issue that matches what you describe is the well known relay issue but I assume you have already gone down that road...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Okay, something is seriously up with this thing. It started doing it to me again to day but would do it fully revved in the middle of a climb. It would burble and just cut off. Then run completely fine again.

Something's up with the electrical system in this thing that's getting tripped for some reason.

This isn't ringing a bell with anyone?

you disconnected the tether?

(that’s the only way i cured my cutting out issues with the Polaris oem tether)

mine would do exactly as you described

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Riding buddy had an almost identical issue - would come and go. He took it to the dealer and they said it had been setting codes but he never got a check engine/warning light. They replaced the ECU and the problem was solved. Only other issue that matches what you describe is the well known relay issue but I assume you have already gone down that road...

OP has a 2018 with the upgraded wiring and relays.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
I would get rid of that tether if it was sticking. It could be part of the problem. At least disconnect it for testing. If the issue is still there it could be a wire rub.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Unplug tether to eliminate chance of it interfering like mentioned, do you have another sled you could swap coils with? I had a coil act up on me before it would drop a cylinder at random then come back to life, never know when it would happen, usually when you need power the most. I bought a set off a parted sled on eBay for like $30 and never had a problem since

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
OP has a 2018 with the upgraded wiring and relays.

Do I not need to replace relays on an 18'?

I'm going to check connections on everything I can get to anyway but I thought all the wiring updates were 2019. No?

Premium Features