• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Exhaust Springs Breaking?

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I came back from my second ride on my 20 Alpha HC last night. Sled ran great, I'm pretty excited for the season as long as the motor and rail hold up - however, I was alarmed when I took my clutch side panel off in my garage and noticed half of a broken exhaust spring laying in the seam between my side panel and lower belly pan. I assume it bounced around a bit in the clutches, but I haven't found any noticeable damage yet. Anyone else have issues with exhaust springs breaking? My dealer said there were some issues with these on the 19's but Cat was supposed to have stronger ones in the 20's. Not sure if they actually switched or not, but beware because apparently they're still weak - I'll be checking them every ride from now on and getting some RTV on all of the springs before next ride.

Also, the sled is bone stock, second ride, odo now reads ~ 65 miles. I haven't found the other half of the spring yet if it's still in the sled, will have to shake the sled out when I have some more time to see if it's still in there.

One other thing that annoyed me was I noticed some discoloration on my y pipe during my spring inspection. Wiped my finger across it and the paint just flaked off. Not sure what kind of coating Cat is putting on these, but it doesn't hold up and I've got paint flakes laying all over. Do I need to worry about trying to coat it again?IMG_5420.jpgIMG_5426.jpg

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
They look the same as the 18/19s. I used some off my older proclimbs cause mine were breaking last year. Prep and paint the y pipe with 2000deg heat paint.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
We had this issue so we just put some silicone in the middle of them to stop the vibration. So far that seems to be the easy fix.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Yep silicone them, also the aluminum cover that is above the ecm crack and break the tabs off. Unless they fixed this for 2020?

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
We had this issue so we just put some silicone in the middle of them to stop the vibration. So far that seems to be the easy fix.

Yep, that’s my plan as mentioned. Did it on my Axys, but never did it on my pro climb and never had issues with 3k+ miles on it. Was surprised it failed sub-60 miles on this sled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Yep silicone them, also the aluminum cover that is above the ecm crack and break the tabs off. Unless they fixed this for 2020?

That’s impressive - again, aren’t they the same as the proclimbs? What’s vibrating in this chassis so much? I can’t feel it in the bars, sled seems smooth as heck - is Cat somehow using cheaper material?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
We were out riding this weekend and my dads 2020 hardcore got real loud. Upon inspection, the pipe had come off the y pipe by about 3/4" but all springs were still intact and attached. He said he hit a dip pretty hard, but seems crazy that the pipe could off the y pipe that easily. We had to take the hood and intake off in the field and by hand we could pull the pipe with 3 springs on it and realign it back into place. I would surmise that the springs are junk

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I think its the material of the spring, I do silicone all mine and have not had any issues yet. The part number is different from the Suzuki to the C-tec maybe the old number will work. My old M1K feels like a small tremor @ idle and i still haven't replaced any exhaust springs yet so maybe the old number is better?

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I think its the material of the spring, I do silicone all mine and have not had any issues yet. The part number is different from the Suzuki to the C-tec maybe the old number will work. My old M1K feels like a small tremor @ idle and i still haven't replaced any exhaust springs yet so maybe the old number is better?

I had an old M1000 as well, and that's why I'm baffled by the new springs. Seems like it has to be a material change. The thing shook like an earthquake at idle, and I still never replaced an exhaust spring that broke in half.

snosurfer

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2008
Lost one on my 19 Alpha first 50 miles my buddy broke one on his 2020 at 50 miles never broke any on my M7 or proclimb the spring feels a lot stiffer when you try to pull them off compared to the older cats maybe thats why they keep breaking not enough play in them, I don't know just a thought.

R
Once you have the spring pulled and secure, wipe some red/black temp RTV/silicon. Go down the length of the spring.
The idea is to get silicon between the coils of the spring so they don't hit each other when they flex.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I am considering using some small wire or something like that and wrapping it through the spring attached to the y pipe. At least when the spring breaks it will stay there instead of going thru the clutches. It may rattle and make a noise also which will let you know .

Premium Features