• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski Doo 3.5” pitch track

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Anybody try a ski doo track on the Polaris 850? Mountain Magic in Edmonton swears by it for these sleds. They are expensive though. You also have to cut the edges down and run an anti-stab.

I’m also wondering if the flex edge on the ski doo track makes the sled handle funny when on edge. Anybody running one?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
On the skidoo they come apart very easy and trench like nothing else. IMO there are much better tracks out there. Also, to put on a polaris you have to cut a good portion of the flex edge off which kind of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Thanks for the replies so far. It seems like there’s no overwhelming love for the doo track here. What does everybody like as far as replacing the stock 3”? 3.2? Cat? X3? I’m not really interested in going down in lug height.

J
Nov 25, 2019
While in revy over the weekend I took the opportunity to try a friends brand new expert....that sled walked all over my axys 163”. Sled felt like it had traction for days.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Doo owner here. I think the trenching people are experiencing is from the skid set up, not the track itself. I had no complaints with my 165 track. However I did need to tweak the skid set up to make it right.
If you don't set the doo skid up right it handles terribly, but even with a proper set up it still trenches badly and part of that is doo's steep approach angle and maybe not so much the track. Personally I really like the polaris 2.6 track on the axys. Ive also used the cat 3" and the 3x and they work very good too. I actually am trying a camsno epic 2.8 this season. Ive been hearing pretty good reports on it so far. I haven't installed mine yet.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks for the replies so far. It seems like there’s no overwhelming love for the doo track here. What does everybody like as far as replacing the stock 3”? 3.2? Cat? X3? I’m not really interested in going down in lug height.

The x3 and 3” powerclaw both do really well.

X3.2 is good in dry fluffy powder but tight clearance if you are wanting higher trackspeed. (Boost)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If you don't set the doo skid up right it handles terribly, but even with a proper set up it still trenches badly and part of that is doo's steep approach angle and maybe not so much the track. Personally I really like the polaris 2.6 track on the axys. Ive also used the cat 3" and the 3x and they work very good too. I actually am trying a camsno epic 2.8 this season. Ive been hearing pretty good reports on it so far. I haven't installed mine yet.

Doo’s falling rate torsion spring rear rear suspension (for poser wheelies) is a big part of the trench factor.
(Nose heavy until on throttle, then bandaid Teabag motion and flexedge sending you into the creek)

The rest is the track design and approach angle.

No features available for getting on top of the snow or holding a line.

^^^^ slightly tongue in cheek but true.

Last edited:

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I have a 2017 summit 154x3 a 18 axys 155x2.6 and now a 19 850 155 that I put a 3.2 in. Last February we got absolute hammered with snow and I was switching back and forth with the wife on her 18 axys and hated the 2.6. The doo would just hook up and go ware the poo would go but would spin more before hooking up. Now I have a poo 850 that I put the 3.2 in. Haven’t had a chance to ride it in deep snow yet but has to be better then the 2.6 I took out. I have 2400 miles on my doo and the track isn’t perfect but I also abused it and spun out on logs and stuff a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Thanks everybody- good discussion so far! I wonder if there’s a regional thing going on- by all accounts, snow in many mountain riding areas in the states is drier and fluffier than BC snow. The reason I’m intrigued by the ski doo track is simply that it has more distance between the paddles. Has anyone played with cutting off every third or 4th paddle on the stock Polaris 3”?

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Watching my dad's 3.5" x 3" 165" on his skidoo I think the track works pretty well. Not to say there aren't better tracks but it seems to have good traction in all snow conditions. Seems pretty good all around. I don't think you would want to cut off entire paddles on the polaris tracks because the paddles are so narrow you would be giving up a lot of paddle surface area.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks everybody- good discussion so far! I wonder if there’s a regional thing going on- by all accounts, snow in many mountain riding areas in the states is drier and fluffier than BC snow. The reason I’m intrigued by the ski doo track is simply that it has more distance between the paddles. Has anyone played with cutting off every third or 4th paddle on the stock Polaris 3”?

I just sold my 3” Polaris track for enough money to buy a 3” powerclaw.

Easy mod that improves track reliability. ?

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Pretty much every Polaris custom turbo that Ken builds at Mountain Magic has a fully clipped Doo track on it as well as Avid drivers to be able to run the track a bit looser to free up the rolling resistance. This is on his personal sled as well. I think there definitely is something to the difference in snow as well as proper set up coming into play. I know on both my 2012 and 2014 ProClimbs (162's) I could feel that 2.6 Powerclaw hook and pull. On my '17 Axys 163 I never felt the track grab traction and pull like those Cats. Seemed to spin a lot more. Switched over to a 175 Doo this year; so soon I will have a feel for how this Doo track hooks compared to the 3" Polaris track I ran for the last 3 winters.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
My fave is the 2.6, with the quick drive , it just flat out workes for me.
I ride with 175 doos and 174 pol
And I've yet to see the superiority of the 3 inch track. The 2.6 imo does everything well, including traction acceleration and good top speeds.
Last season before I ordered my 850, I talked to many top pros and they all gave the nod to the 2.6.

C
Aug 8, 2019
My fave is the 2.6, with the quick drive , it just flat out workes for me.
I ride with 175 doos and 174 pol
And I've yet to see the superiority of the 3 inch track. The 2.6 imo does everything well, including traction acceleration and good top speeds.
Last season before I ordered my 850, I talked to many top pros and they all gave the nod to the 2.6.

I have the same impression by the 2.6 works really well for me

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada

Our riding area (Northern NB/Gaspe QC) has a mix of endless powder, set up snow and wind swept concrete. Mostly 2.5/2.6 and a few 3" sleds in our group and after running both the G4 summit and 850 RMK, I give the nod to the poo . But I'm with madmax....it's more about the steeper approach angle than the track. The poo feels like it gives you the last 5 seconds of wiggle room before you get stuck that the summit does not. I'm a big fan of the 3.5 pitch track because it seems to have great propulsion... just not in the right direction. All summits after 2013 have basically the same T-motion suspension and the 3.5 pitch x 2.5 track is MUCH better than the 3" pitch x 3".... a leap forward....but they both remain less forgiving to turn out or get on top of the snow. The price you pay for playfulness.

The 3.5 pitch is a winner.. I suspect the next "full" RMK upgrade will be on one......

OTM

Premium Features