• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How should boost gauges read?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Should the read absolute or ambient. I have a digital one and it reads -4 at 5000 ft. Under boost I am only seeing 2.0 lbs on a sidekick So is that 6 lbs or is still just two?

A
Nov 26, 2007
It is an Innovate digital gauge and it reads -4 at 5000 ft and -2 at 2000 ft. at 5000ft under boost it reads 2.0 lbs of boost.
Yup i can zero the gauge with a lap top but i am guessing that just gives it a new zero point. I am sure this one reads absolute. All the analog gauges I have had read ambient meaning they always are at zero no matter what altitude you are at and they read boost pressure on top of that.
The reason i am trying to figure this out is to verify what boost the sidekick is running. One would think that with the numbers I have it is 12.7 absolute. If the system is supposed to compensate for altitude then at 2000 ft the gauge would read 0. I guess the best thing is to zero it at home(2000ft) and tee in another analog gauge and compare. Anyone know what boost it should actually run. Boondocker says that at 8 lbs the injectors are pretty much maxed out. My question is at what altitude is that? 8 lbs at sea level is way different than 8 lbs at 10000 ft for fuel requirement.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
It is an Innovate digital gauge and it reads -4 at 5000 ft and -2 at 2000 ft. at 5000ft under boost it reads 2.0 lbs of boost.
Yup i can zero the gauge with a lap top but i am guessing that just gives it a new zero point. I am sure this one reads absolute. All the analog gauges I have had read ambient meaning they always are at zero no matter what altitude you are at and they read boost pressure on top of that.
The reason i am trying to figure this out is to verify what boost the sidekick is running. One would think that with the numbers I have it is 12.7 absolute. If the system is supposed to compensate for altitude then at 2000 ft the gauge would read 0. I guess the best thing is to zero it at home(2000ft) and tee in another analog gauge and compare. Anyone know what boost it should actually run. Boondocker says that at 8 lbs the injectors are pretty much maxed out. My question is at what altitude is that? 8 lbs at sea level is way different than 8 lbs at 10000 ft for fuel requirement.

I would contact Innovate and ask them about that reading issue. I have a AEM digital gauge and show a -1 reading at idle which is correct but then goes to the correct boost pressure. 2 lbs at 5000 feet seems a little low because on average you are a around 12.2 psia which with boost is 14.2psia ( you would be under the power level of a stock snowmobile at sea level).

I did look into a innovate gauge with boost control at one time and they said that the gauge recalibrated at each startup... so to make the boost control work correctly you would have to adjust your target boost level at each start. From there it works on MAP pressure so it would compensate adding boost with elevation, until you turned the snowmobile off at a different elevation and you would have to change your target boost again, I opted not to purchase due to that fact...I only bring up this point because maybe that is what your gauge is doing...

850 & 800 PIDD Cables
www.cvcustoms.com
Get Some Get There

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks, I think i will tee into the line and compare an old analog gauge that i have against it. This one does not re calibrate at every start.

Premium Features