• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha needs AIR in the pow!

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Id try one of these if I were at wits end with it.
I always had good luck with k&n style filters on the end of my carbs back in the day when nothing else worked on the covered hood days. Aaen did flow bench testing back in the day showing a carb with a k&n flowed better than having no filter at all. straightened out the air flow or something. I might just try one if I get bored on my 17MC collector's edition.

Guessing this would need some good mods or removal of something?? Dropping 5lbs somewhere,,,, has anyone seen this style attached to a ctec or ascender chassis??
I like the idea..

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
U may want to check more thoroughly,
it's impossible to have a tight seal, Design doesn't allow it..... this is not my opinion but a design flaw from the manufacturer.

U have to put a small flashlight inside the intake and shine directly at the seam to see the gaps. Intake is a matte black plastic, it's not going to reflect the light throughout the tract.......

Sent it
Well, it is a miracle then. I flipped the hood upside down in a complete dark garage at night and used a small flashlight so I could reach inside the intake and run it against all the edges and there was "zero" light on any edge exposed to the elements. I did find 2 small spots where a screw attaches, but this area is inside the engine compartment. I sealed it up with some gasket sealer just for giggles, but otherwise, it is fine.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Well, it is a miracle then. I flipped the hood upside down in a complete dark garage at night and used a small flashlight so I could reach inside the intake and run it against all the edges and there was "zero" light on any edge exposed to the elements. I did find 2 small spots where a screw attaches, but this area is inside the engine compartment. I sealed it up with some gasket sealer just for giggles, but otherwise, it is fine.

Did you check this spot?

8dc918b408609c44008a4503262a4009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Not trying to be better or smarter just trying to help.
I will be much happier with u having a dry intake with a healthy engine than sucking in some powder and a dead engine.
I guarantee there are more gaps in ur intake than what u have seen.
U don't have to do anything. I hope that u will look again and just put some sealant 'just in case'. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Here is a test u can do.
During a dry deep powder day. Stop and pull the hood off. Take a good look inside at the throttle bodies. If u don't see one drop of milky oil in there.... ur fine.
Remember, the oil in the throttle body box should be the exact same color and texture of the oil in the tank.... if not, its contaminated with water.

Sent it

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
Not trying to be better or smarter just trying to help.
I will be much happier with u having a dry intake with a healthy engine than sucking in some powder and a dead engine.
I guarantee there are more gaps in ur intake than what u have seen.
U don't have to do anything. I hope that u will look again and just put some sealant 'just in case'. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Here is a test u can do.
During a dry deep powder day. Stop and pull the hood off. Take a good look inside at the throttle bodies. If u don't see one drop of milky oil in there.... ur fine.
Remember, the oil in the throttle body box should be the exact same color and texture of the oil in the tank.... if not, its contaminated with water.

Sent it
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it but it has to be sealed. There is only the one orange reflector on each side near the front cone and trust me, I stuck the flashlight inside the intake and ran the head of the light up and down every seam I could find or reach. There isn't any light coming through. The sled is new and hasn't been twisted yet.

I will do as you suggest and pop the hood off and take a look for milky oil after a deep day.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it but it has to be sealed. There is only the one orange reflector on each side near the front cone and trust me, I stuck the flashlight inside the intake and ran the head of the light up and down every seam I could find or reach. There isn't any light coming through. The sled is new and hasn't been twisted yet.

I will do as you suggest and pop the hood off and take a look for milky oil after a deep day.

This is a brand new 2020 that has never been started. I will put money on it that your nose cone is the same
df04ab43e207c00bdfa7dd6eb84a9207.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U can see in the pics that a very bright (500+ lumen) flash light doesn't show the whole gap from one spot, u must cover every inch with direct light.

20190217_185149.jpg 20190217_185147.jpg

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
This is a brand new 2020 that has never been started. I will put money on it that your nose cone is the same
df04ab43e207c00bdfa7dd6eb84a9207.jpg

See now I am kinda getting perturbed. Please explain how it is possible to be like the photo if no fuking light is shining through on mine? Not exactly difficult to shine a light inside the cone. The photo obviously shows a gap, I DO NOT HAVE THAT GAP.....
His photo was taken in a well lit garage and you can see the light, I did mine in complete darkness. If there was even a glimmer of light coming out, it would be seen. I would take a photo, but kinda tough when no light is shining through to see lol

E
Feb 22, 2009
See now I am kinda getting perturbed. Please explain how it is possible to be like the photo if no fuking light is shining through on mine? Not exactly difficult to shine a light inside the cone. The photo obviously shows a gap, I DO NOT HAVE THAT GAP.....
His photo was taken in a well lit garage and you can see the light, I did mine in complete darkness. If there was even a glimmer of light coming out, it would be seen. I would take a photo, but kinda tough when no light is shining through to see lol

Your doing it wrong is the only explanation

J
Mar 8, 2019
Can someone just make a aftermarket intake? Cycles and sleds put a silber on mine and got rid of all of that ran tube up to the upper intake. Seems what they did could be easy enough to do on a non turbo application. I’ll get pics and post later on this am. This is my buddies same set up though.E5D1995F-910A-4D86-A868-650E151D928E.jpeg

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
That's the normal setup on the 18 and 19 Silbers. They changed it for the 20s. You could easily put that tube with some extra tubing on a stock sled.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
A tube like that is very loud. The baffles inside the stock intake quite the the air a lot.
I rode a cat with a lightweight hood and it was annoyingly loud. I would have to wear ear plugs to ride that all day.

Sent it

L
Feb 26, 2018
I’ve got hours of video of over the hood snow and zero intake bogs. I do run the mountainfit defender. I have seen lots of bogs on deep days from cans and intakes that aren’t sealed up.
what exhaust cans work with the ctec 2? I have heard of this before that adding a can makes it run worse. just bought an alpha 1st arctic cat ever. thanks dont want to buy a headache to save 15 pounds.

E
Feb 22, 2009
what exhaust cans work with the ctec 2? I have heard of this before that adding a can makes it run worse. just bought an alpha 1st arctic cat ever. thanks dont want to buy a headache to save 15 pounds.

Speedwerx
Specialty Sleds
Jawz
The Thing
SSI
NPP

stay away from
MBRP
GGB

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I have ran the following cans on my ctec:

HPS - nailed it with the stock pipe. Besides a Diamond S on a zuke it’s the only can that I could say you felt added power. Have no experience with diamond s on c-tec but I’m certain it’s good too.

GGB mountain - ran great with non stock pipe. But too loud for me.

GGB trail can - runs great with both stock and non-stock pipe. On stock pipe it does not give the same power change the HPS can did, but ran just like the stock can.

The HPS can did not work with the non-stock pipe. It is definitely designed for the stock pipe and flat works.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
FWIW the best cat rider in history ran a GGB trail can. I don't think there's as much to the can thing as some people say, although my zuke seemed to run a little harder with the DS than the SSI. but not happy with the pan flange seal on the DS. Thought the SSI flange was kinda cheesy but it never bogged in pow. DS needs a little modding. maybe they improved that.

Premium Features