• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lead Acid or Lithium Snow bike Battery?

R
Sep 15, 2010
Like the title states. I'm curious what everyone is running for batteries in their bikes and how they perform in the cold?

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
I had a Tusk LI-ION battery that I used at the beginning of the season last year.

Worst idea ever. It left me stranded 50mi into a 120mi ride and I'm on a fuel injected bike. Towed it for a mile then suddenly it started back up. Voltage looked fine.

After lots of weird acting up and running for a few minutes then suddenly losing power and dying I finally discovered the battery had a dead cell. The only thing that saved it from overheating and blowing up was that it was -12F outside. The cheap-o LI-ION batteries don't have high quality BMS boards in them to handle the input voltage from the Reg/Rec, espcially in cold temps.

I switched to EARTH X and never looked back. Their batteries are expensive but it has worked fantastic. I knew a friend that had one his sled and made me take a look. Full on Battery Management System built in; the only LI-ION i know of that is "built" to be used in the cold. I can hit the button on my FE750 in -10F and it turns over like its 60F out.

Specifically I'm using the EarthX ETX12A battery. I suggest you give them a look, especially on Fuel Injected bikes...

BONUS, photo of me stranded when the other LI-ION was acting up
IMG_4133.jpeg

N
Dec 18, 2015
Go for the old lead acid.. and go large... why...

a) Snowbikes often have more accessories such as grip heaters (pure evil - go for coolant heated bars instead) and lights that drain the battery on a bike with a tiny stator designed to for a motocross bike that barely produces enough power to charge the battery as is.
b) ALL Lithium batteries have reduced capacity at low temperatures - some significantly more than others.
c) Some lithium batteries have charging control electronics with temp sensors that disables charging below 0 degree Celsius (freezing point).

So yes some lithium batteries will work, but at reduced capacity and only worth the risk if you're on an enduro bike with a large stator.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
hmm. interesting. I had bad luck with lead acid last winter, BUT, I was running superrrrr cheapo ones.

that earth x battery is only 130cca. my lead acid ones claimed that too but didnt work all that well.

I just ordered a LI ION antigravity ag1201 battery which is 330 cca and turns over the bike like a champ, WHEN the battery is running good. I had the battery at -30 last winter and it almost started the bike, so close. needed just a little help. I then deeply discharged it (heated hand grips... truly the devil like mentioned) and my winter went downhill from there.

so ive now got a brand new ag1201 and am hoping that with proper care, no parasitic draws, an upgraded stator, and maybe a tender after the rides I wont have problems anymore.

id like to go lead acid... but im also spolied by the 330 cca of the ag1201. is there any lead acids that can do 330cca with 12ah?

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Does anyone know anything about good/best 14ah batteries? I have heard they are out and are (obviously?) better than than the 12ah....

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
whats the only LI ION thats built for the cold? the battery youre using isnt even LI ION

the stock battery does that too.... -10 isnt even cold. thats t shirt weather under the mono suit.

Ok so EarthX isn't Lithium ION but they are a Lithium-based battery, they don't share the specific material compound but they're the only ones I know that will operate below freezing. They claim it's good from -22F to 140F . (-30C to 60C). I've definitely tested down to at least -18 -20F.

Colder than that and a battery warmer is all you need to make sure it can handle the input voltage from the bike. But nothing is going to be good if you have a parasitic draw and a small rectifier.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I want a battery warmer. where are you finding them? how are you supplying the power to the battery warmer?

at this point im almost thinking the sticky oil pan heaters are the best bet. possibly wired into the trailers wiring to power it while the trailer is on.

P
Dec 18, 2017
I have been running a 5ah lithium battery om my gsxr for two winters now whit no isues. When it is realy cold i put the bike in first gear and break. Hold starter for 10 sec to heat/wake the battery. Then wait about one minute and it fires right up.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm just in the process of assembling my 2018 YZ. Anyone have any experience with the stock Yamaha LI battery. I'm assuming it needs to be replaced with something else but I haven't picked anything out as yet. A YTZ7S should go in there if I cut the tray or maybe an EarthX or???????? Ideas

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I had a ytz7s and it sucked. nothing but problems and headaches. I wasted a winter and rage ripped off my headlight + all wiring and my heated grips + all wiring over that battery.

earthX seems like it may just be the way to go. I went with anti gravity ag1201 and am almost regretting it now.

definitely cut your tray if needed. my KTM needed it and its well worth it.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Was your YTZ7S a Yuasa or a cheap ass brand. I've had pretty good luck with the Yuasa over the years but any other brand has turned out to be a POS generally

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Can anyone confirm if a EarthX ETX12A can fit in a 2020 YZ450F without trimming? Many seem to be using them, but have not specifically said if trimming was needed. I know they have the slightly smaller ETZ5G (that has more CCA and costs less, but slightly fewer amp capacity and does not have the over discharge protection). ETZ5G should fit without mods. I pulled out the stock lithium and tried to measure the batterybox and the ETX12A seems very close to fitting. I pinged EarthX and they say it will NOT fit. So for those running ETX12A on Yamaha YZ450F (assuming the 2018, 2019 and 2020 all have the same battery box), what specific mods, if any, did you need to do to get it to fit? I don't know if the YZ450FX and YZ450F have the same size battery box, so unless someone knows for a fact the F and FX are the same, would prefer to hear from someone that fitted a ETX12A to an "F".

From the EarthX site:

The ETX12A has 135CCA, 220PCA; weighs 1.3 pounds; has 4Ah capacity and has the full battery management system, dimensions are 4.5” L x 2.6” W x 3.7” H, with a 2 year warranty. The cost is $169.

The ETZ5G has 140CCA, 240PCA; weighs 1.1 pounds; has 3.4Ah capacity and has the battery management system minus over discharge protection and excessive cranking protection so it will not cut off in cold weather starts with a 1 year warranty. This battery was designed for high cranking amps in the cold. dimensions are 3.54” L x 1.96” W x 3.39” H, with a 1 year warranty. The cost is $139.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Earth X is what we sell and I am positive we have over 100 in snow bikes. It is the best performing battery out of all the ones we field tested.

Yes, they fit right in a 2020 YZ450F. We just built one for a customer last week.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Anyone know of Black Friday deals on EarthX? I'd buy multiples. What is their very best battery for cold cranking amps (CCA)?

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I'm watching for sales as well. Ha. Will be hunting for a ETX12A over the next week.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
EarthX...What is their very best battery for cold cranking amps (CCA)?

Depends on physical size and battery box room. They have batteries with huge cca that would never fit in a bike, but I'm assuming you are talking about ones that will fit in a snowbikes battery box so see the two models i already mentioned a few comments above and the descriptions i pasted. Those are the two earthx that will fit in a bike.

If you are looking for most cca and are putting it on the tunnel or its for something other than a snowbike, they have much higher cca units available.

Premium Features