• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to sledding, can’t decide

J
Nov 16, 2019
So I am looking for my first sled. I have found a couple I am planning to go look at.

2007 Polaris dragon 700 155” with 1000 miles.
Stock

“06 Skidoo Adreneline 151” 800
My wife has had this sled for 5 years and decided it was time to upgrade for her.
Sled has fresh top end and isn’t even finished being broken in yet. Sled is a great learner or backup sled! I’ve always used Skidoo oil. Sled is currently still summarized but can winterize if need be. Sled has been stored in the garage unless being ridden. Sled has some goodies on it also:
Wossner lightweight dual ring forged pistons
MBRP trail can
Clutch venting
Toms clutching kit
Sly Dog powder skis
RVS A-arms
OEM skidoo trailering cover
Aluminum cooling chain case cover
Gear down kit
Brand new pull cord and handle”
After talking with the guy he said the motor has less then 10 hours on the new top end

Both are asking $2500 obo

I will be riding High elevation around 7-12k feet. Mountain/ powder.

Which sled is better? Which would you choose why/why not?

Thank you

Last edited:

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Part of what is best depends on your current sled. Me, I thought the Dragon was a wonderful platform but I learned-- don't buy an 800 Dragon. Dragon was just the funnest chassis for some reason but the engine was not good. The 700 Polaris though, that's a famously good engine. You might look into whether people do double bearings on them, and if they do, follow suit ASAP.

The aftermarket stuff on the Skidoo sound good, probably do a lot for it, but I can't speak to the base chassis like I can the dragon..

J
Nov 16, 2019
Part of what is best depends on your current sled. Me, I thought the Dragon was a wonderful platform but I learned-- don't buy an 800 Dragon. Dragon was just the funnest chassis for some reason but the engine was not good. The 700 Polaris though, that's a famously good engine. You might look into whether people do double bearings on them, and if they do, follow suit ASAP.

The aftermarket stuff on the Skidoo sound good, probably do a lot for it, but I can't speak to the base chassis like I can the dragon..

I did read about the 800s not being good. So I did find a guy that has 2 700s I’ll be looking at tomorrow. Looking to get one for my brother and I.
They would be our first sleds so it’s all new to us.
Just wasn’t sure what people thought would be a better first sled. I have read good things about both. I feel I’ve read more good about the dragon 700 over the ski doo.
A lot of people say get a fuel injected over carb so that makes me lean toward the dragon more also

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I agree about EFI over carb on a sled.
It really depends on riding style.
I Rode them both back in the day.
The summit is much better on the trail, Great suspension, great power and will whoop azz straight up climbing against the Polaris.
The Polaris is much much better sidehilling and more fun boondocking but not very good on the trail. 07 polaris seats are pretty narrow and like to force wedgies.....lol

I didn't like sitting down on the 06-10 RMK's where skidoo is very comfy.

As far as durable chassis, Polaris wins by a very huge margin.....i mean huge! not even close.

Engines are actually pretty close in HP. Clutching isn't bad on either. Ski-doo will pull awesome wheelies, Polaris, not so much.

Sent it

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
You can't go wrong with the Polaris 700's. Power of the 800 with reliability of the 600. Don't pull on the plastic bumper when you get stuck, you'll break the entire front plastic, use the skis to pull instead.?
Stay away from the '05 and I believe 06 prior is entirely different engine design more closely related to the infamous 900.

J
Nov 16, 2019
I agree about EFI over carb on a sled.
It really depends on riding style.
I Rode them both back in the day.
The summit is much better on the trail, Great suspension, great power and will whoop azz straight up climbing against the Polaris.
The Polaris is much much better sidehilling and more fun boondocking but not very good on the trail. 07 polaris seats are pretty narrow and like to force wedgies.....lol

I didn't like sitting down on the 06-10 RMK's where skidoo is very comfy.

As far as durable chassis, Polaris wins by a very huge margin.....i mean huge! not even close.

Engines are actually pretty close in HP. Clutching isn't bad on either. Ski-doo will pull awesome wheelies, Polaris, not so much.

Sent it

Thank you for the response!

I plan to mainly be side hilling boondocking and riding off trail in the trees.
So by the sounds of it the Polaris is the way to go for what I want.

I have read so stuff about the Ski-Doo having a weak chassis and bends easy.

J
Nov 16, 2019
You can't go wrong with the Polaris 700's. Power of the 800 with reliability of the 600. Don't pull on the plastic bumper when you get stuck, you'll break the entire front plastic, use the skis to pull instead.

I have read about the bumper being more for looks. Don’t even want to touch them or they break.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You SHOULD be looking for an M8 Cat in your price range. The IQ Polaris is garbage in so many ways I can not even count them all. That series of Doo is better but them you have to put up with another poor chassis with fragile framework, look up the "nun".

You passed right over what is the best series of used sleds ever. M7, M8, both are FAR better choices than what you listed. Good Luck

J
Nov 16, 2019
You SHOULD be looking for an M8 Cat in your price range. The IQ Polaris is garbage in so many ways I can not even count them all. That series of Doo is better but them you have to put up with another poor chassis with fragile framework, look up the "nun".

You passed right over what is the best series of used sleds ever. M7, M8, both are FAR better choices than what you listed. Good Luck

I was just reading about the nuns being very weak.
What year m7, m8 are good? I was reading the 07-09 just dig and aren’t to good for what I’m wanting.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
09 M8 is an awesome sled. Throw on the SLP pipe and ur at 160hp. Mine did not trench at all, i whooped up on the Pro in every aspect other than extreme sidehills, can't compete with the narrow body of the pro.
2010 has the H.O. motor but the primary will explode.
2011 primary takes a little longer to explode.

All 3 need the double row bearing in the diamond drive, 09 is simple, 10/11 may require machining or other special measures to install. They also should have the M-rite support installed. Something the factory should have done. The bulkhead isn't strong enough to support the up and down flexing of the steering post.

07/08, i would stay away from.

People will argue about this but i have plenty of experience comparing the 3 yrs. And all my buddies will back this statement.

I don't know what the difference is in the rear suspension but 09 is way better for boondocking through the trees. 2010 and 11 both trench. I tried setting the shocks exactly like my 09 to no avial. Its really just a problem when u slow way down or stop. I hated riding 10/11's in the trees. One day i actually had to have my buddy on his pro break trail for me through the trees to get me back to a trail because we were both tired of digging out the 2011 cat....

The seat on the 2010/11 is nice an tall and short in length. But is like a rubber trampoline...lol if u try sitting down on a moguled trail u bounce a lot, it made me laugh. In my life, i have Never had a sled bounce me off the seat like that. I have only owned 20+ sleds over the last 28yrs.

I do agree with the above post about the Mseries being the best sled of that era however, I wouldn't hesitate owning a Polaris of that era(except the 800).
If i was going to buy a sled for an older person or woman that i want to enjoy the ride on the sled, i would likely go with skidoo. No mountain sled in that era comes close to the trail ride of the Doo.

Sent it

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I think the M7 was 2005-06 and the M8 2007-11. The 2007-09 M8 doesn't have the power of the '10-11 version but as mentioned with a pipe, they do. They got better as the years passed. M7s though are super fun and very durable machines, I rode one for years. I would try for a 2010-11 M8 as they have the most refinements and more power. I just sold our last two M8's last summer for $3000 each. Both had about 1000 miles on. Definately the best sleds of the era. Primary clutches do seem to fail by 2000 miles if not serviced correctly. I blew up a diamond drive on an M7 but never had an issue on the 2 M8's or the 2 M1000's I had for years as spares. Overall more reliable if cared for than the other two brands IMO.

J
Nov 16, 2019
Went and looked at the 2007 Polaris dragons. Guy told me they had around 1000 miles but that was trip miles. They both had 5600 miles and he was wanting $2500 for them.

So the hunt remains at this point

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
5600 miles, lol what a douche if he was advertising them as 1000 miles.
My list of best machines, on a budget, with the caveat that buyer beware, any older sled could have been beat up and may have some issues from damage, lack of maintenance or particular models quirks...
Only including machines that have good off trail manners IMO
M7
09 and up M8
12/13 and up Pro RMK 800
11 and up 600 Pro
14 and up 800 cat
600 or 800 Ski Dooo XM

But overall, the best sled is the one you can afford that doesn't leave you broke down in the backcountry.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I love the input here. I have had all the sleds but a cat, but rode with Cats every year and capable sleds. The cat is very good, the problems with the diamond drive and clutch made me stay away in those years. So I would buy them in the following years

cat 800 2009-2010 need to be willing to repair diamond drive and primary clutch. Great engine

dragon 700, 2007-2010 work great stock all though the air shocks tend to last 5 years and need rebuild.

2004-06 skidoo 800 - was the best sled in 2006 out of the box. I had 2008 and 2010 doo, and are fine, but if I were to do agian, I would ride the dragon or cat of those years.

2011 -17 I like the poo and skidoo more than the cat. each year keeps getting better. And I would take a 2011 poo or skidoo over any of the older sleds, but the costs go up.

2018 plus, man they all are great sleds. Different, but I could own any of them and argue they are the best.

Premium Features