• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha needs AIR in the pow!

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
Last year was so deep I found the alpha suffocating several times as everything blocked up- usually right when I needed max hp, I'm thinking of options here- any thoughts on adding boondockers external air filter (turbo style) to the top by the console?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I haven't looked into options but the alpha sucks, in really deep powder, due to no air. If you don't think so you haven't been in deep enough powder. Why they would put a half inset intake where snow can lay in that little crease between the hood and windshield is beyond me. Plugs it off right now. Look at the skidoo 850. They are susceptible to branches but they don't bog in powder.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Jeez, when I'm in over the hood powder I just reach down occasionally and make sure something on intake is open, it's not complicated lol

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
That’s lame af. Throttle.....bog.....wipe intake off.....throttle.....bog.....wipe intake off....
? why off throttle? cant you ride with one hand? dont you ever wipe off goggles? and no bog thats the point, I can see when the dash is getting full, I just brush it off before its a problem, its not complicated

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
My M sled bogged a lot, none of my Pro climbs or Ascenders have really had a bog, easy to keep intake clear for sure, stock sled or Mod? what mods

guess I have been lucky

just FYI I live in the mountains and ride every weekend in deep Colorado snow and also travel to Idaho, Utah, and Montana to ride so I do ride in deep snow, sorry you are having trouble but not sure a turbo filter in the same location as stock filter but a lot smaller surface area is going to help? just asking

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
? why off throttle? cant you ride with one hand? dont you ever wipe off goggles? and no bog thats the point, I can see when the dash is getting full, I just brush it off before its a problem, its not complicated
Sure I can ride with one hand, in the meadow. Taking 10 seconds to clean the intakes is complete different than the 1/2 second it takes to wack the side of my helmet to shake my goggles off. Try cleaning the intakes in a super steep sidehill that is high consequence, trees, cliffs, boulders...... If you think it’s “not that hard” you probably don’t ride that extreme of terrain. Not trying to insult you, just being honest.

Other than that, it’s dumb af. Why not just have a sled that runs no matter the conditions??

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Sure I can ride with one hand, in the meadow. Taking 10 seconds to clean the intakes is complete different than the 1/2 second it takes to wack the side of my helmet to shake my goggles off. Try cleaning the intakes in a super steep sidehill that is high consequence, trees, cliffs, boulders...... If you think it’s “not that hard” you probably don’t ride that extreme of terrain. Not trying to insult you, just being honest.

Other than that, it’s dumb af. Why not just have a sled that runs no matter the conditions??
Ten seconds? okay now you are just making stuff up lol

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I noticed this as well last year. But it took a 3-4ft dump of light pow to have this issue. And yes it's still annoying wiping with one hand and riding. I guess one could install a SLP powder valve on the top of the airbox before it goes into the throttle bodies. Will be sucking in hot air, but still better than bogging like crazy. Since it only happened to me on one stupid deep ride last year I'm just gonna deal with it.

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
So-- yes, we have established the issue- and I ride in the areas where I don't have time to stop and wipe it clear when it is most critical- you simply don't have the second or two in high consequence terrain to have a hand off the bars and be messing around RIGHT when you need a horsepower kick to get out of a mess.
,So- we know there's an issue here- lets talk about a FIX! My concerns with a traditional rigging a 'stand-up' external filter to the OEM hood/intake are:
1. it's mounted to plastic intake
2. the sled is getting rolled all the time, so there is risk to snapping it off if it's too rigid.

I have thought to fab a silicone line connect it lower inside and give it a couple inch riser up by the top where the bars are so there is both flex and some protection, but one of you may have a better idea! -??? :)

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
I noticed this as well last year. But it took a 3-4ft dump of light pow to have this issue. And yes it's still annoying wiping with one hand and riding. I guess one could install a SLP powder valve on the top of the airbox before it goes into the throttle bodies. Will be sucking in hot air, but still better than bogging like crazy. Since it only happened to me on one stupid deep ride last year I'm just gonna deal with it.

Looks like SLP is saying to set them up on the outer sides, to be clear, you are thinking internally- maybe both?

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
I guess I’ll share my secret. This is my home made headlight delete, but with a small aluminum sleeve you can do the same with the stock air box. Inside the pre filters are silicone rad hoses. With square windows cut out. It’s just a frame to hold the pre filter out, super flexible for rolling the sled.
c7218bb0e244f4bfaff86ddba2409c1a.jpg
7d05637161b7aee5a8f975db22c231d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
wow, THANKS! -fantastic! Very nice! it looks like you could do this with just porting the ends and inserting the aluminum sleeve and then putting the silicone onto that, right?

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Just curious if you have a can on your sled? I've seen a TON of exhaust bog issues on the 18+ cats when deep. Rode them on some insanely deep days and never had intake bogging issues but definately exhaust bogging. Also if the intake junction and airbox isn't all sealed up it will suck snow and bog you down like crazy.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I’ve got hours of video of over the hood snow and zero intake bogs. I do run the mountainfit defender. I have seen lots of bogs on deep days from cans and intakes that aren’t sealed up.

B28EBBA9-9C36-488E-8B91-AC4A8018630E.png

E
Feb 22, 2009
The last two posters are correct! 95% of any bog is usually related to the sled ingesting snow, or your exhaust is not specific to the Ctec engine. Firstly stay away from those exhaust systems, and get a exhaust system that is designed specifically for the Ctec or keep your stock muffler on! Second your bogging not because your filter is plugged. The intake screens pull air from both up top and from underneath. On super deep days I have pow piled on top of my intake up to my bars and never have a bog.

Everyone needs to check there front nose cone section of there hoods. This is my 2020 Hardcore, before I sealed it. If you have gaps like this and can see light through your intake when putting a flashlight behind it, on deep pow days you are ingesting snow and the snow is causing the bog. Also if you have a 18 check your upper intake for gaps as well

0ecde7ad56054ce52abe84f4c0837adf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features