• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding Clinics, What do you like, not like or wish they offered?

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Guys, like the title says, from your experiences what do you like or dislike about the various riding clinics out there and are there things that you wish were offered in a clinic but currently no one is doing?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I took an 8 hour one on one clinic from Amber Holt/Backcountry Basics back in 2012 in Island Park; Great instruction, She took me from a newbie to at least amateur status. I still practice the basics she taught me. I specifically chose her as sponsored by Arctic Cat, but also as a woman that relied on technique, balance & finesse & not macho strength. I need more instruction, but at 63 years young it's tuff teaching an old dog new tricks, which is not the instructors fault.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I took an 8 hour one on one clinic from Amber Holt/Backcountry Basics back in 2012 in Island Park; Great instruction, She took me from a newbie to at least amateur status. I still practice the basics she taught me. I specifically chose her as sponsored by Arctic Cat, but also as a woman that relied on technique, balance & finesse & not macho strength. I need more instruction, but at 63 years young it's tuff teaching an old dog new tricks, which is not the instructors fault.
Took that same course.
But i am pretty sure Amber has walked away from the sport entirely.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Is anyone offering a clinic for kids under 16? It seems like I read somewhere that 16 was the youngest for most of the riding clinics.

brb7384

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2008
Normandy Park
Rode with Chris Brown @ Ride Whistler and had a great time. He was patient and worked with us on our skills that made us better riders. Highly recommend. Chris was down to earth, no ego just wanted to help us with our riding. Never complained when getting us unstuck. Great guy...

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I had the chance to attend a Next Level Riding Clinic with Dan Adams a few years ago and honestly it was awesome!! Dan and Jason do a great job they are very down to earth and truly fun to ride with and learn from. Given the chance I would definitely consider attending another clinic with Dan or even trying one with Matt Entz or Sahen Skinner, as I have heard good things about these guys too.

I think if anyone out there is "thinking" about attending one, definitely consider looking into it. I don't think you could really be disappointed as long as you go into with an open mind and a positive attitude. I will tell you one thing.......you WILL be tired at the end of the day !! LOL

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
I'd love to try a few of the riding clinics. The price is the current barrier for me. Well, not necessarily for me, but the guys I ride with. They are just not willing to spend that much money. As a small business owner I understand why it costs as much as it does. I've been thinking I might go out for one by myself but a 18-20+ hour drive each way without a second driver is whats holding me back. Eventually I might try to find someone else looking to head to one too.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I'd love to try a few of the riding clinics. The price is the current barrier for me. Well, not necessarily for me, but the guys I ride with. They are just not willing to spend that much money. As a small business owner I understand why it costs as much as it does. I've been thinking I might go out for one by myself but a 18-20+ hour drive each way without a second driver is whats holding me back. Eventually I might try to find someone else looking to head to one too.

Where are you located?

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO
Hey guys,

Figured I would chime in here with my personal experience. I have attended the following clinics: NXT LVL clinics, Mountain Skillz, Snowride Adventures, She Shred's Mountain Adventures and Weir Boondocking.

My all around favorite class and most highly recommended would be Dan's NXT LVL clinic. The first time I attended Dan's clinic I was 22 years old and actually working as a sled guide (trail) in Colorado. I've been sledding since I could walk and actively riding backcountry since 2007. I considered myself a descent mountain rider before signing up for Dan's class but thought it would be a great opportunity for myself, brother and best friend to get properly educated in the backcountry. Dan's clinic did not disappoint. His level of professionalism both on a sled and in business was apparent as soon as we showed up to his shop in Alpine. The thing I respected most about Dan was his passion for technical riding combined with Avalanche awareness. Prior to taking his class I had completed an AST level 1 and was taught at a young age the consequences of riding in the backcountry. Dan was able to provide a whole new perspective of what we thought it mean to be "safe" in the backcountry. I've been blessed to ride with the majority of the bigger names in this industry and Dan actually practices what most preach. On top of his Avalanche education was his ability to teach me a way more technical way to ride terrain. I feel that the skills I learned in my two day clinic with Dan definitely made me the rider I am today. Fast forward 8 years and I just signed up wife for her 2nd clinic with Dan this February. She'll be attending the ladies clinic with a lot of the same gals she met last year. My wife started off snowbiking and easily accessed terrain I enjoyed riding on my sled. After three seasons on the bike she wanted to challenge herself and try out sledding. As you can imagine it has been quite the transition for from a bike to a sled. Dan's clinic has sped this process up tenfold. I wasn't part of wife's clinic at all but she had the same experience that I had years prior. Her confidence was also boosted both as a rider and as a part of "our" riding group who takes backcountry safety very seriously. She is very excited to go back this year to push her ability on a sled.

I was able to attend Matt's (Mountain Skillz) clinic kind of as a spectator with my brother and a group of guys from his team. My brother is now in the Army and is part of a group that uses over snow travel in their scope of work. They were in need of some training and my brother called me asking who I thought would be a good option for them. The fact that he's stationed in CO only a few hours from Wolf Creek it was a no brainer to contact Matt. I had met Matt a couple times at the snow shows when I used to work for Blown Motor. I was always impressed with his professionalism and ability to just be a great guy. After placing a call to Matt he was on board and looking forward to this special opportunity. He also allowed me to come down and help pull ski's for him during the clinic. Matt and his crew were top shelf. They made proficient riders out of a group full of "A" type alpha males who most of them had never been on a sled before. His ability to communicate and demonstrate technique was very impressive. I know that my brother would not hesitate to have his team do another clinic with Matt. It was trip of a lifetime for me!

I rode with Jorli (snowride adventures) when he was first getting going. I was in my mid 20's at the time and wanted to check Whistler/Pemberton off my list of places to sled. Both times I rode with Jorli it was just him and I so we were able to cover lots of ground. Whistler truly is a spectacular place to visit on a sled. He had vast knowledge of the area and was a good guide in my opinion.

I have never personally ridden with Juliann (She Shred's) but my wife spent two days with her last winter and had a blast! She attended Julie's clinic about a month before attending Dan's and it was a huge confidence boost for her. The class size was small ( her and 1 other) which was a huge benefit because she was able to get plenty of quality instruction. Julie's passion for what she does is present from the first time you meet her and she is good at what she does. She was so encouraging to my wife and really pushed her in such a positive way. I've had the opportunity to get to know Julie a little better since then because we both belong to same snowmobile club and I have nothing but good to say about her. I would highly recommend her to anyone else who is looking to make sledding fun and proficient for their significant other.

All of the above mentioned were great experiences for my wife and I. I attended each of them for different reasons and I think that's probably the best piece of advice I could offer. Figure out what your looking to get out of a clinic and then do some research to see which one would fit your requirements best. Feel free to reach out if I can be of any further help. All were definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Cheers,

JW

Premium Features