• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Secondary clutch play

B
Nov 20, 2019
hey I was just wondering what might be happening with my secondary clutch. It has play on the shaft. Bought it 2nd hand from the dealer and has 400 miles on it. I took one of the 2 small washers out behind the secondary bolt. Has anyone else done this or is my secondary sticking?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
hey I was just wondering what might be happening with my secondary clutch. It has play on the shaft. Bought it 2nd hand from the dealer and has 400 miles on it. I took one of the 2 small washers out behind the secondary bolt. Has anyone else done this or is my secondary sticking?

put the washer back in.

it’s supposed to have that “play” in it.

B
Nov 20, 2019
put the washer back in.

it’s supposed to have that “play” in it.
? Sorry I just watched the video Tony had on about the.030 of float. It went back in. Thanks for the reply though. Also have a different smell coming from the sled. I don't know if it's just the VES extreme oil or what. I went for a quick 2 mile rip and it never overheated but it smelt like it was going to melt in my driveway after.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
What sheetmetalfab said, put it back in there it's supposed to float on the shaft. I would recommend asking before changing stuff if your not sure, that is a good way to cost yourself a bunch of money.

B
Nov 20, 2019
What sheetmetalfab said, put it back in there it's supposed to float on the shaft. I would recommend asking before changing stuff if your not sure, that is a good way to cost yourself a bunch of money.
Yup totally agree. I removed it just to see the fit difference. Seemed odd to me having some play, but if that's the way they are that's great. Thanks

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
? Sorry I just watched the video Tony had on about the.030 of float. It went back in. Thanks for the reply though. Also have a different smell coming from the sled. I don't know if it's just the VES extreme oil or what. I went for a quick 2 mile rip and it never overheated but it smelt like it was going to melt in my driveway after.
If it has been sitting all summer it's hard to say what is smelling, most likely something in or on the exhaust pipe or can. I would ride it again and see if the smell goes away or try and identify where it is originating.

B
Nov 20, 2019
If it has been sitting all summer it's hard to say what is smelling, most likely something in or on the exhaust pipe or can. I would ride it again and see if the smell goes away or try and identify where it is originating.

Ya it was strange. Wasn't the belt or electrical smell. Just wasn't sure. My first ride with it. Could be the exhaust like your saying.

Premium Features