• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tied Secondary Lightening?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
With lightening clutch components becoming popular (primary covers, Ti pins and bolts, primary and secondary machining, lighter secondary spiders, etc.) has anyone inquired or had a shop do any machining to lighten a Team/Venom Tied clutch? Either on the sheaves or the roller spider inside. When I swapped a 2018 primary and tied secondary to my 2014 the net weight gain was 1.6lb over the stock clutches. Would like to take some of that back off if it could be done reasonably.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I don't know about your clutch, but what do you know about the stock 17s? LOL (since nobody's answering your question..) I see ZRP and speedwerx have a few items. Think it'd be worth it to add them all? Ive had my doubts about titanium fasteners but Polaris guys use em a lot it seems.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The ZRP/Speedwerx lightened roller spider and the Speedwerx lightened helix are the only things I've seen advertised for those stock secondaries. Personally I'd spend the money on the more bang/buck items like the secondary spider, flywheel lightening, and recoil cup first and see if it makes a noticeable difference before cashing out for the TI pins and cover bolts. Pins and cover bolts are out at the outer edge of the clutch so maybe they make close to as much of a difference as one of the other parts? Maybe if I get ambitious I'll dust off my engineering mechanics book some night and see if I can make an on-paper argument for it. Higher grade Ti-6AL-4V is equivalent to about a grade 5 bolt and so is a 8.8 marked metric bolt. Replacing those gives me less heartburn than if you start replacing 10.9 fasteners.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
ya, its the galling thing I guess I got hung up on with the cover bolts. use anti-seize or extra thread lock? I would think reducing weight toward the outer edge of the clutch would be good thing tho. especially if it was slightly out of balance. the weight has more leverage on the end of the crank the further out it gets right

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Just saw that Speedwerx is now making billet aluminum spiders for the Team primaries. 0.75lb lighter than the stocker. No price yet.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
well I sprang for the cover bolts since ill be in there changing weights soon. couldn't quite get there on the clutch pins. maybe im overthinking it.. was thinking the clutch was balanced with the pins installed. they use the stock steel nut on the ti pin so could affect the balance? Also, says made specific for Polaris, so wasn't sure if they'd be as good of fit on the team as the stock pins. If someone gets some, do report.
Not sure I want to dig into re-coil cup yet with my warranty still, and don't think lightening the flywheel would be good for holding rpm constant at WOT.

The ZRP/Speedwerx lightened roller spider and the Speedwerx lightened helix are the only things I've seen advertised for those stock secondaries. Personally I'd spend the money on the more bang/buck items like the secondary spider, flywheel lightening, and recoil cup first and see if it makes a noticeable difference before cashing out for the TI pins and cover bolts. Pins and cover bolts are out at the outer edge of the clutch so maybe they make close to as much of a difference as one of the other parts? Maybe if I get ambitious I'll dust off my engineering mechanics book some night and see if I can make an on-paper argument for it. Higher grade Ti-6AL-4V is equivalent to about a grade 5 bolt and so is a 8.8 marked metric bolt. Replacing those gives me less heartburn than if you start replacing 10.9 fasteners.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Following up with what I found on the Tied this year. Patrick offers the same lightening and balancing service for it as he does with the TSS-04. He said turnaround time is an extra week because he doesn't keep the lightened roller spiders in stock for them and has to send them out and get them back. ZRP also offers a lighter, billet aluminum roller spider for it. It's just not listed on their website so have to call them. That runs $150.

Premium Features