• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Feedback on a tunnel bag

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Do you use the : Premium Lock and Ride back country tunnel bag?

This:

Looking for feedback as it doesn't zip, only snaps. Does snow get into it?

CaptNCoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edgewood, Wa
I really like the mountain addiction bags. The mounts keep it off the tunnel, bags are hard sided and keep things dry.
great product. They have a holder for your shovel and handle on the out side of the bag also.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
My favorite one is the Skinz Protective gear they make for Dan Adams. It's the Next Level Q-R Freeride Tunnel Pak. The quick release is easier to use than the polaris lock and ride and the hard bottom and T-slot brackets keep it up off the tunnel which kept my sled cooler than the others in my group. http://skinzprotectivegear.com/riders/danadams.html
They have a small and a larger bag, the small held as much as my polaris bag

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
If you don't want an external shovel carry, and use waterproof stuff sacks inside the Premium, it looks like a good pack. But for the price, why not get the "Ultimate," which is cheaper and does zip? I like the Polaris Ultimate "normal" sized pack with the shovel holder (#2881057). The bigger version is a little too big in my opinion. Easy to get carried away and pack too much stuff into it. I've used the older BCA tunnel pack and thought it was just ok: Things got soaked and the mounting system was a little finicky. I had the newer BCA version all of last season but never actually used it, because the webbing mounting system seemed like a failure waiting to happen. This season I plan to bypass the webbing and rig a direct mount to the T slots through the bottom of the pack, using either seat bolts or lock n ride hardware. I've also had the Sled Solutions pack. It was a well made pack, but again, I'm not a fan of external webbing systems to mount my tunnel pack - too much bounce and likely failure. I thought about making a direct mount, but sold the pack before I began to modify it.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
That skinz looks nice, but with shipping is $320. Do they ever have a sale? I am looking here

I can get a polaris burandt adventure tunnel large bag with a $50 off coupon for about $220

Which one to buy?

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
My favorite one is the Skinz Protective gear they make for Dan Adams. It's the Next Level Q-R Freeride Tunnel Pak. The quick release is easier to use than the polaris lock and ride and the hard bottom and T-slot brackets keep it up off the tunnel which kept my sled cooler than the others in my group. http://skinzprotectivegear.com/riders/danadams.html
They have a small and a larger bag, the small held as much as my polaris bag
This is a pic of the bag installed and on a deep pow day in Upper MI. It's shorter than the Burandt polaris bag, but holds the same amount because it's a bit taller, yet still shorter than your seat so it doesnt effect hopping over. Plus you still have room for a gas can if you needed. With the T-slot brackets you can mount it anywhere on the tunnel.IMG_4483.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
More proof that the Skinz QR tunnel bag works and helps to keep your sled cooler than the factory bag look at the pics below. I was riding with another polaris that the temps were running higher because the factory bag sits right tight to the tunnel and actually holds in heat. The Skinz QR bag sits up about 1" above the tunnel and snow can and will cover beneath it as shown. Notice the 800 Arctic Cat M8 next to mine, it doesnt carry near the weight of wet snow once your riding. The cat might be heavier in the garage dry, but did weigh less in the deep snow. Even the Skidoo weighed more. IMG_4627.jpgIMG_4628.jpg

Last edited:

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I have no doubt some of these bags help keep the tunnel cooler and makes sense on why; but for what it's worth I've always had a Polaris bag and have never had issues with sled overheating on my former 13 Pro and 17 AXYS. Plus didn't Polaris change out some part starting in 18 that made the sled run cooler?

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I have no doubt some of these bags help keep the tunnel cooler and makes sense on why; but for what it's worth I've always had a Polaris bag and have never had issues with sled overheating on my former 13 Pro and 17 AXYS. Plus didn't Polaris change out some part starting in 18 that made the sled run cooler?
Your right, most people won't have an overheating issue, but some do based on when and where they ride. I ride deep into spring when outside temps are sometimes in the 40' or 50's yet still chest deep snow in some of the mountains. The icy trails getting up there can be no fun and the meadows off the side of the trails can be brick hard so its hard to get some cooling at times. I usually get off to the side and flip my sled on it's side and from a stopped position throttle it and slowly lean the sled into the snow to let the track churn up some snow to cool it down and lube the hyfax. Yes, they also made improvements to the cooling system such as incorporating the thermostat inside the coolant bottle and improved flow in the head, but some people still have cooling issues and add a center cooler under the tunnel for this reason or what ever they can do to help. Factory polaris bags are great, they did a great job of engineering them and they fit and perform great except for holding the heat and scratching the top of the tunnel :)

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I was checking the bag out a little closer and it has a "snow gasket"

Can kind of see it in the 4th picture, it is a pretty thick gasket and although you can't see it in the pics; there is a tiny flap to help keep the snow out. Seems like a tight fit when closed, will give it a whirl this season.

Premium Features