• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kreating Khaos, 162" extreme and other easy mods

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Next is Skinz Protective gear Heated Break lever. Ive ran this for a while now and find I can't live without it now! It is easy plug and play on the connector and as you can see has a much better angle for using a single finger. It's also adjustable for every size hand. Be careful when you remove the tiny clip under the break reservoir. You will also have to reuse the spring for the break lock shown below. If the powder coating is to thick you can lightly drill it out with a 5/16" bit.
IMG_4402.jpgIMG_4404.jpgIMG_4409.jpgIMG_4411.jpgIMG_4413.jpgIMG_4414.jpgIMG_4415.jpg

Last edited:

Hellsledder

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sweden
Robert,
Is that 28.53g or oz?
Here is the battery I’m using. Very light. 8.59 oz.
I’ve had it on the turbo for a few years.

Tony, are the use for this battery also to power the PIDD...?
What battery is it, and have you built the "cable" yourself?
Thanks

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Battery was made by Ballisitic. I believe they went out of business due to all the overseas batteries.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Great thread. Interested in how that track works.
Thanks Madtown, I have a lot more coming. As far as the track, here is a little more info from Camso on the new Epic:
“At Camso, we ask ourselves everyday: is there a better way? The new EPIC 280 is definitely a product that aligns with this claim,” says Bruce Dashnaw, Sales & Marketing Executive Director – Powersports at Camso. “We’re always seeking new ways to push further the limits of snowmobiling, trying to quench our riders’ thirst for powder power.”

The new standard in mountain riding, the EPIC 280 makes use of Camso’s unique, deep cup lug design to extract every ounce of traction in deep snow. Its lightweight design strategically positioned support columns and balanced 6-pitch lug sequence ensures the right combination of grip and floatation, while optimizing the track speed and reducing vibration.

“The unique paddle of the Camso EPIC 280 track cups the snow while compacting it underneath the track instead of blowing the snow out. This means more traction for your sled, even on the fluffiest days,” claims Steve Martin, snowmobile ambassador, who has been trying out the track in the deep mountain snows. “I definitely see a quicker throttle response. I like to go wide open a lot, and it’s amazing how much more track speed you get with the EPIC 280!”

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Definitely waiting patiently for reviews not only on the "163 Khaos" but also this new track!!!

On a side note, have you heard of anyone putting a turbo on a Khaos?? With the suspension changes and the weight transfer I would be curious to see how a Khaos handles boost?? Over backwards ? Trench monster ? .........or works great?!?!?!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Next little safety item is as many of you know or have experienced is the toe hoops are too small on the Axys. I tore the meniscus in my right knee from this and really messed up the rest of that season. Everett's ankle savers are cheep insurance and they can be set up custom to your style of riding. I run mine at about a 45* angle (different than some) so I can still get as far forward as I need, yet not get locked in the sled if things go wrong. Quick and easy to install and supports a fellow Snowest'er at http://everettsports.net/anklesavers.html
Yes, you could bend your hoops, Ive tried that and it worked, but there was no adjustment after doing it. I also cut them on my 2017, but when I sold it, some buyers weren't impressed and walked on the sale. These dont modify anything and if you want, they can be taken off and moved to your new sled...Money well spent.IMG_7464.jpgIMG_7468.jpgIMG_7474.jpgIMG_7475.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Im on the fence on the tether. Here is the factory 850 tether switch kit P/N 2883823. It worked on my last 850's, but wasn't really impressed by it. I will use this until I decide on maybe the magnetic Cat plug. Anyone else using the new Cat style and liking it?IMG_3893.jpgIMG_3892.jpgIMG_3891.jpgIMG_3890.jpg

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Yes, they are now out of business. Which is a great loss. Murph may have a source.
It was an electric start harness, Polaris, that I modified.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Next little safety item is as many of you know or have experienced is the toe hoops are too small on the Axys. I tore the meniscus in my right knee from this and really messed up the rest of that season. Everett's ankle savers are cheep insurance and they can be set up custom to your style of riding. I run mine at about a 45* angle (different than some) so I can still get as far forward as I need, yet not get locked in the sled if things go wrong. Quick and easy to install and supports a fellow Snowest'er at http://everettsports.net/anklesavers.html
Yes, you could bend your hoops, Ive tried that and it worked, but there was no adjustment after doing it. I also cut them on my 2017, but when I sold it, some buyers weren't impressed and walked on the sale. These dont modify anything and if you want, they can be taken off and moved to your new sled...Money well spent.

Thanks for the Ankle Savers mention, Robert!

It's kind of interesting how I came upon making these, because I typically never ride with my boots anywhere near the hoops. So I just ignored all the reports of guys getting their ankles tweaked, until it happened to me.

I was rippin' up a steep hill and needed to squeeze thru two big pines. I got too close to one and a branch clothes-lined me. I flew back as my foot shot forward and wedged itself under the hoop. It took quite some time to get myself unhooked. Luckily, my sled didn't roll and I came away with only a minor twisted ankle. So, to the drawing board I went and came up with the Ankle Savers. I believe this will be my 5th season with them.

SS 155 dragon

Premium Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon
I bought the Cat terther & holding plate from TKI. Also bought 3 sets of Everett savers for that insurance, excellent person to deal with. Also thank you Robert for all your advise you give me on my 850 Khaos.

Attachments

• 20191108_185823.jpg
    20191108_185823.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 20191108_185847.jpg
    20191108_185847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I bought the Cat terther & holding plate from TKI. Also bought 3 sets of Everett savers for that insurance, excellent person to deal with. Also thank you Robert for all your advise you give me on my 850 Khaos.
I love that bracket that TKI makes! I will need to order this kit I think as well. I just need to see if it fits with the Sled Solutions E-Series Quick lock handlebar bag.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Update: If you bought an older Lift-A-Sled like I did there is now an update kit that has taller rear towers (for mountain sleds) that also have a lot more adjustment options. Once installed they become tool-less with the new hand knob. If you buy a new Lift-A-Sled they come with them. He sells them off his facebook page.IMG_7626.jpgIMG_7627.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Next up Performance: This year I will be running a Strightline Performance Single ceramic coated Pipe and Light Weight (also ceramic coated) muffler. The fit and finish is great, sounds perfect, nice tone at idle and midrange with a nice sound at WOT without the obnoxious bark of some. This combo was throughly tested last year at different elevations with impressive results. Just listen to Eric Woog testifing on how it compared to other single pipes and the new Twins without even using a fuel controller! Eric has been building sleds for the Pros for years and even Matt Entz is going to be running this Straightline Performance Single pipe on his normally aspirated sled! Heaver guage steel so it won't crack like others have while still being lighter than stock (no outside cover and insulation as shown below). You will need to do some simple clutching because it does produce more hp and Torque than stock. The most important aspect of this pipe to me is the responsiveness in the tight technical tree riding.
https://www.facebook.com/100001056939733/posts/2763142433730961?d=n&sfns=moIMG_7449.jpgIMG_7450.jpg

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
When Eric Woog was questioned about his online statement that the Strightline Performance Single pipe tested Very favorably vs the Outlaw twins he said:
"Erik Woog Sure, the outlaw twins run well, they are a tight fit and almost certainly will melt some plastic, they are expensive ($1,000 + reflash$ + clutching total is $2,207.55), they are loud, and they require an ecu reflash with very specific clutching... the single benefits from a helix change but otherwise just runs. Regarding outright performance in side by side exemplore testing we found them comparable in every test with single being favored by most riders in the low mid snap... hope that helps."

Pretty much my exact feelings. I mentioned a month ago about the twins melting plastic and being more work to tune, plus the price. At only $499 for the Strightline Single plus it weighs less compared to $2,207.55 for the twin kit (SKU: outlaw stage 1) which is also only good at 5000'+. I will get out the scale in one of the next couple posts. If you have questions about this pipe and can go to: https://www.straightlineperformance.com/snowmobile/polaris/850-axys/

I will say this again as well, Ive always liked the cool factor of the many twin and triple piped sleds I've owned. However, the cost, weight, heat, run ability, needing ear plugs and tuning were some of the deciding factors to me on this build, plus I will never run another black pipe (non ceramic coated) of any brand (except testing) by choice on my personal sleds.

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Strightline Performance Light weight ceramic coated muffler part #132-138. 3rd pic shows how tight the new muffler will "snap" into the factory rubber mounts on the crossmember. This ceramic coating keeps your Quick drive belt and under hood temps much cooler. Look at how much more room you have to change a quick drive belt compared to the stock can!IMG_7452.jpgIMG_7453.jpgIMG_7457.jpgIMG_7632.jpgIMG_7225.jpgIMG_7238.jpgIMG_7239.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features