• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kreating Khaos, 162" extreme and other easy mods

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Here is a few pics of the stock belt and the TKI Gates Carbon Fiber belt next to each other. Notice the number of clogs engaged on the top gear I mentioned above. Now you can see why people strip the clogs off a stock belt when on the gas landing from little jumps or track hitting the ground from big whoops on the trail while the stock belt is only engaging 6 or 7 clogs. For more info on how to do the TKI instal check out Tom's instructions here:
https://tkicnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2016-Polaris-2.6-Belt-Drive-Instructions.pdf IMG_7214.jpgIMG_7215.jpgIMG_7216.jpg

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
If you have never sent your clutches off to get balanced and trued (shaved to proper specs), better springs, weights and helix your missing one of the most important mods you can do.
Ive spent enough time on the 850's and the prototype Khaos's last winter to know the big motor is smoother than the past motors. The factory balancing is mass produced and they do a decent job doing tens of thousands a year. However there is much left on the table as far as ultra balancing and machining both sheaves to correct specs. I send mine off to Devin and Dan at Indy Specialty and I never have to worry about balancing again, even when you tear them apart as much as I do testing different weights for different altitudes with different performance mods. The belt will last longer, stay cooler and run more consistent. One of the last group of riders I was instructing on a ride noticed how my ski tips and handlebars didnt vibrant as much as the rest of the fleet of stock 850's, you can even feel the difference on the running boards. This is also saving the engine crank bearings from undo abuse, prolonging the life of the motor. Sending them in is easy to do. You will need a primary clutch puller and a socket wrench for the secondary. I will try to add a video of removal below. Box them up and ship them off. They will come back cleaner than new and you can thank me later. IMG_7169.jpgIMG_7243.jpgIMG_7244.jpgIMG_7247.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Normally the turn around on clutches, cranks or engine work is really fast and efficient at Indy specialty. There is some big new from Dan and crew there, they recently moved from Dan's spotless shop at his home to a Huuggee (as Trump would say) new building about 12 miles away. Please be patient with them as this was a major undertaking moving all of his high tech CNC machines, welders, etc to the new location. They are fully operational now but catching up with demand. I would recommend getting your clutches sent off soon. For more info check here: https://www.indyspecialty.com/product-page/polaris-clutch-service I will try to answer questions about them or any of the other companies Ive listed, but I don't work for them and so I also don't want to give out wrong info. I just like to help people figure out what works for them and help show how easy this stuff is to do with some basic tools, hope some of this is helpful :)

IMG_7222.jpg

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I sent mine off and they told me 4-6 weeks to have it ready to ship. Hope its sooner than that! But in reality I should have sent it sooner. They are a very reputable shop and this is their peak season.
Im guessing they will be back sooner than that. Let us know when you get them. Last year in comparison I had mine back in a couple days. After seeing the difference for me it's worth the wait. Their attention to detail, dissembling, cleaning, machining and balancing each peace, then resemble and rebalancing as a whole takes some time. I will post more on them when I get them back.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
For those of you wondering why I went to a 162" over a 155" and thinking it's to long, check out the following pics of where it lines up to the factory bumper once installed with the larger 8" IceAge rear wheels. This one looks Silver Lab approved ;)IMG_7284.jpgIMG_7285.jpg

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sent my primary to dan for machine and balance and full sea level kit. Also adding the solid tru shift cover. Going for least vibs possible.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I will start back up in a few days. Heading off to VA for minor surgery. Think they found a more gooder brain donor, this one doesn't work more better lol
In the mean time, anyone else doing the 162+ track, if so what combo?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I will start back up in a few days. Heading off to VA for minor surgery. Think they found a more gooder brain donor, this one doesn't work more better lol
In the mean time, anyone else doing the 162+ track, if so what combo?
Robert,
Have a safe trip. You will have a smooth procedure and quick recovery. ?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Doing the same thing to my Khaos. Got my ice she rails, 10” rear wheels, and epic 280. I have a set of pro gears for the belt drive I’ll probably use with the Silber turbo. Going to be a fun year

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Robert,
Have a safe trip. You will have a smooth procedure and quick recovery. ?

Ok, I'm back from the land of sedation lol (friends thought it was funny to talk to me and get some pics while I was totally out of it). They found one of my problems was I still had old Golden Spectrol oil from the 70's running through my veins, so a quick IV of the new Polaris VES Extreme and I'm good as new (which wasn't very good to start with lol). So back to the build. I see the UPS driver has been delivering parts while I was gone, so more to come. IMG_7304.jpgIMG_7354.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Awesome, keep the info coming and.......ride reports will be expected as well!!!

And of course, best wishes on your recovery!!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Awesome, keep the info coming and.......ride reports will be expected as well!!!

And of course, best wishes on your recovery!!
Of course! I spend a ridicules amount of time riding different places, and its been great meeting up with many fellow Snowest'ers all over. I will be doing some testing of different items this winter like Ive done in the past. Many of those times its great to meet up so others can throw a leg over my builds to compare to their set ups. Its the best way I feel to see what works and what doesn't.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Off the subject of the build, but part of the "other easy mods" is what I use around the shop and in my trailer. I love these new Caliber sled wheels! Once you adjust them for your ski they slip on easier than any other dollies and I drive up to 12 miles an hour around my driveway, parking lots, garage etc with as little as a 6' turning radius. Another easy tip to keep your stock or aftermarket track paddles in great shape is to use the Caliber track saver. It's so simple but effective. I used to use a 2x4" but they would always fall over. This has a wide bottom, won't rot, absorb water from melting snow and is durable to get thrown around in the shop. Caliber is all I use in my trailer, not only because it works the best, but has a Lifetime warranty. For more info go to: http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/snowmobile-trailer-accessories/SledWheels.php and http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/snowmobile-trailer-accessories/TraxSaver.phpIMG_7356.jpgIMG_7357.jpgIMG_7358.jpgIMG_7346.jpgIMG_7344.jpgIMG_7345.jpg

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Next stage: Adding CVcustoms PIDD power up kit which includes the wire harness, Antigravity battery and battery box. This is a better option than the more expensive factory add on kit and much lighter. The battery and box are way smaller, easier to get to, weigh even less than the WPS Fire power I used last year (and it only lasted a year). The Antigravity battery without charging was 13.22 volts out of the box. Clean and easy install. I owned a fabrication business for 15 years, the quality of this little battery box is impressive for the price, plus its powder coated. 1st pic is whole kit. 2nd is battery box mounted on the sled with the 2 supplied screws and 1 optional rivet. 3rd is showing you can get a large hand rivet gun in the space, I normally use my air riveter but figured most people don't have one. 4th is battery out of the box charged. 5th is size compared to the WPS light battery. 6th: Weight of the battery and box in ounces with hardware (less than 2lbs). Factory battery is over 13 and the factory battery box alone is almost 2lbs for comparison. IMG_7370.jpgIMG_7372.jpgIMG_7371.jpgIMG_7373.jpgIMG_7362.jpgF5BFE357-C29A-4006-A836-901CDBD25232_1024x1024.jpeg

Last edited:
Premium Features