• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
This thread has been primetime. It's amazing to see how many of us "old dudes" are still out there enjoying the sport. Yup, age doesn't matter. I originally posted back in 11-17(#62) and it's great to see the thread is still going strong 2 yrs. later.

Hope everyone has a great upcoming season.

I bet if the industry was still @ 136 x 1 tracks, these numbers would be much less.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
this will be my 3rd post in this thread, i haven't read it for a while, it's nice to catchup....last year i rode an alpha, funnest stock sled i've ever had, and allowed me to keep riding at a pretty high level...i'm still doing 30 minutes of aerobics 5 times a week plus 30 minutes of weight training almost every day, this in addition to doing the fun stuff....sold my alpha to a buddy and got a new alpha hardcore 165 that i'm looking forward to....recurring things in this thread are the importance of positive attitude, reasonable effort to maintaining/regaining physical conditioning, and most important, enjoying the fun aspect of sledding...i love the longer tracks, easier balancing sleds, more dependable machines....the most fun i've ever had with a machine....was with my f-16, doing the speed of sound across the arctic tundra, barely above the ground level, kicking up a rooster tail of snow crystals, a myriad of rainbows in the compression waves...slowing a bit to climb up the side of Denali so i didn't loosen an avalanche on some unsuspecting climbers, rolling upside down as i crossed the summit, then down the other side, back to Elmendorf to refuel, then out the Aleutian chain to see the volcanoes, the ice blocks as big as buildings hanging on the edge of cliffs, waiting to tumble into the Bering Sea...can't forget the grizzly sow with her cub on the edge of the glacier, standing on her back legs 'cause she thought if she caught the big bird she'd have a fine dinner....fighter games with the f-15's, the vastness that is Alaska.....days gone but not forgotten...same with my sledding adventures, never forgotten remembrances that i hold dear, pictures in my mind that will never dim....that's the sport we all are part of....have a good year guys, and gals..

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
I will have my first "Over 50" ride our first trip after Dec 9 this year. Boy the years went by fast since I bought my first sled. A 1987 Arctic Cat EXT 530. Looking forward to trying out my new G4 175 as soon as it's go time in a few weeks. Hopefully have a few years left on the snow yet.

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I am 3 weeks after a c3 to c6 neck fusion surgery and have 3 months before getting cleared to ride but no way I will give it up yet. At age 52 the rider is getting more aftermarket parts than the sled.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
I am 69 and have sledded most off my life .Like others have said it is hard to find someone to ride with ,all my friends got to old ha ha .I have a summit 850 and do mostly bush and creek ridding .It sure is hard to keep up with my son and grandson ,both are excellent riders .

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
Just hit 60, recent shoulder joint replaced and looking forward to putting my new Axys 163 through the paces just like I've done on all my previous sleds. Not a hill climber but boondocking has always been were it's at for me.
Still go just about everywhere I've ever gone just spend a little more time picking the good line and getting there...
Ride with 20 and 30 year old's most the time to keep me on my toes.
All still good and hope I have many more years. Can't replace the feeling of freedom and the personal challenge snowmobiling brings to me... Ya all enjoy while we still can.:giggle:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Just hit 60, recent shoulder joint replaced and looking forward to putting my new Axys 163 through the paces just like I've done on all my previous sleds. Not a hill climber but boondocking has always been were it's at for me.
Still go just about everywhere I've ever gone just spend a little more time picking the good line and getting there...
Ride with 20 and 30 year old's most the time to keep me on my toes.
All still good and hope I have many more years. Can't replace the feeling of freedom and the personal challenge snowmobiling brings to me... Ya all enjoy while we still can.:giggle:

congratulations! I am now very late 40's and we have some late 60" guys and they do very well for the places we take them ( or shouldn:t) I am soooooo proud of them and hope to be them!

Finding the block user for Timbre is the cure for Snowest AIDS!

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I will have my first "Over 50" ride our first trip after Dec 9 this year. Boy the years went by fast since I bought my first sled. A 1987 Arctic Cat EXT 530. Looking forward to trying out my new G4 175 as soon as it's go time in a few weeks. Hopefully have a few years left on the snow yet.
You'll love your new G4 175! Congrats on the purchase. I tried the 4" riser on mine after my son switched his over. I thought it would be too short for me as I'm about 6 feet tall, but the better control is amazing... turns out Bret Rasmussen knows what he's talking about. Ha ha! Have fun.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
49 and usually ride with younger guys. Two guys above hit the nail on the head. As we get older what you do in the off-season becomes increasingly important. You can't sit around all summer and expect your body to perform. For young and old I suggest a dedicated workout routine heavy on the weights side. Nothing battles age better! Age will not beat me easily lol

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk
/QUOTE]
I'm 65 and have been sledding in the mountains 1-2 times per year since I was 46 or so. Working out regularly keep's me going but after fifty I'm either getting better if I workout or getting worse if I stop. Stopping for as little as a month and it takes three months to get my fitness back, the older I get the longer it takes. And then there's my age, I workout with a snowmobile buddy that 15 years younger. We both have basically the same workout routine but because of his age his endurance is much better, and that makes a big difference at 10Kft. I have tried over the years to emphasizes weight training over cardio. For me cardio has to come first as without that I have nothing left after 1/2 a day of riding to feed the muscles. I have snowmobiled with some very strong men no matter the age that simply don't have the conditioning to ride at 10K beyond one day. I have started my workout for this season and feel by January I'll be ready and I have renewed interest as I have a new alpha. I'll be riding with my buddies that have Polaris and Skidoo and they all seem interested in riding it. Most are brand loyal but several like me are not.

Cinno

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
I don't feel weights and cardio is an either/or really. However, to go with what your saying I do start stressing cardio more approaching sled season, upright stationary bike, but keep with the weights as they are better for fat burning, throwing the sled around and of course getting unstuck lol. Plus I don't want to lose the gains I've made, age will do that on its own but I'll go down fighting lol

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

T
Mar 5, 2008
Just a saying a old guy said to me. " GETTING OLD IS INEVITABLE, BUT FEELING/ACTING OLD IS A CHOICE" . I'm 54 my riding buddy is 58 and we're riding 2020 Alpha's with Silber turbo's and still ride like we're 30

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Way to go! While it's easy to think about what joint hurts or how we are not as spry as we once were, let's not forget one VERY important thing... us older guys typically can afford some pretty cool new sleds and tow rigs!

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
I'm 56, been riding sleds since 99. I was a serious 100+ day a year skier for 15 years before I discovered Snowmobiles. Never looked back after that first over the hood all day ride. Think I do pretty good for an "Old Guy".

Definitely more conservative than when I started. Three knee surgeries, broken leg/ankle, wrist, thumb and this past March rotator cuff surgery all make you think a little more. I was back on a sit down Jetski in June and riding my standup Jetski in July. Looking forward to the coming season.

Age is a number don't let it stop you from doing what you Love:)

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
10 years ago I could ride the obscene but I know I am slowing down... currently on a 15 Doo 163... will probably jump to an 850 with longer track to try and keep up with the guys I ride with. The biggest issue I have is the challenges of getting myself out of a stuck..(I have had two times I needed help to ride my sled out of s___ hole... embarrassing). I can still do most but it takes me a while now. The bright side? I am still riding and I still get off the trails to ride some of the untracked and occasionally the steep and deep... I turn 65 next year..

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
10 years ago I could ride the obscene but I know I am slowing down... currently on a 15 Doo 163... will probably jump to an 850 with longer track to try and keep up with the guys I ride with. The biggest issue I have is the challenges of getting myself out of a stuck..(I have had two times I needed help to ride my sled out of s___ hole... embarrassing). I can still do most but it takes me a while now. The bright side? I am still riding and I still get off the trails to ride some of the untracked and occasionally the steep and deep... I turn 65 next year..

There should be a new batch ready to ship by Christmas!

Premium Features