• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil leak

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I am going to give that a try and see if it clears out, ive talked to several people/friends with this snowmobile and none have had this issue, Atleast not this much oil that i am having.

It literally seeps all summer long and fills the motor up to the point you have to pull the spark plugs to turn it over! That’s alot of oil, so it’s going to take a bit to burn it out. You will want to fix this or you will be doing this again next year.

P
Oct 15, 2019
It literally seeps all summer long and fills the motor up to the point you have to pull the spark plugs to turn it over! That’s alot of oil, so it’s going to take a bit to burn it out. You will want to fix this or you will be doing this again next year.

Voltage i appreciate all your replies and your help with resolving the issue, I am going to try doing what the last guy said and run the sled and giving it gas trying to clear it all out. Trying to figure out how i should go about this so i dont make a mess lol

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Voltage i appreciate all your replies and your help with resolving the issue, I am going to try doing what the last guy said and run the sled and giving it gas trying to clear it all out. Trying to figure out how i should go about this so i dont make a mess lol
Like I said earlier on a jack stand, cardboard under it , and run it. Give it gas, get rpms up there, get it hot. Just don’t overheat it.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Cold 2-strokes are going to smoke a lot, One thats had the cases flooded with oil is going to smoke a LOT for a long time. Idling it is not going to get the oil out. Get it on a stand, or hang the back from a tree or something and get the engine warmed up 125* and REV the thing to up to 6-7,000 rpm and then let off.... then repeat several times. keep an eye on the temp gauge and shut it off when it gets up around 150-160. let it cool down and do it again if the smoke didnt clear up. It probably wont clear up completely until you ride it and get some heat in the pipe.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I bet someone turned up the oiler screw. My 14 does the same thing.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
It's not warm until you get it up to 130-150 degrees. Smoke is perfectly normal especially when cold. Keep an eye on your oil tank to measure the specific consumption. Be sure not to run it dry, also run good quality synthetic oil. It's possible the oil pump has been turned up as well, in which case you'll want to ride with spare plugs in case they get fouled. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the oil use is too high, you can turn it down.

P
Oct 15, 2019
It's not warm until you get it up to 130-150 degrees. Smoke is perfectly normal especially when cold. Keep an eye on your oil tank to measure the specific consumption. Be sure not to run it dry, also run good quality synthetic oil. It's possible the oil pump has been turned up as well, in which case you'll want to ride with spare plugs in case they get fouled. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the oil use is too high, you can turn it down.

whats the best/easiest way to check and see if the oil pump has been turned up?

P
Oct 15, 2019
Quick update, Today i got the sled lifted in the rear and ran her for a good 10 -15 minutes and got her up to 130 Degrees and gave it some gas, no oil came out the exhaust, did smoke alot still especially giving it gas but other than that no oil came out, Once i shut her off i did get 2-3 small drops but nothing crazy.

Alpine Xtreme Edge

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2017
Oregon
Once snow hits i will put brand new spark plug in it.

When my father in law went to trade in his 2002 RMK 800 on his new sled, he tried to fire it up the day before trade in to make sure it was good to go for dealer and the oil tank had bypassed the check valves so bad over the summer that it hydro locked the engine and couldn't pull it over with the plugs in. We took turns pulling it over for a half hour clearing oil out the plug holes, then it would fire and oil foul the plugs instantly so we had them in and out 10 times or so cleaning the oil off before it cleaned up and ran. Smoked like a chimney for 20 min or so then cleared out a bit, ran it on the stand and thought it was cleaned out. Coming off the trailer the next day nose down, the sled puked oil out the exhaust all over the parking lot at the dealer cuz the belly of the pipe still had that much unburned oil in it. Father in law felt bad and explained the situation and the dealer was fine with it as he had seen it often before.

It's not uncommon for sleds to smoke a lot when cold, and they usually spit enough oil through the exhaust to speckle the floor of your garage or the snow when idling. Fill the fuel tank and oil tank all the way up before your first ride, then measure and fill both afterward to calculate your fuel to oil ratio. You should be in the 40:1 - 50:1 range. Run good full synthetic oil and have a blast.

For summer storage, unscrew the cap on the oil reservoir enough that the tank can breath air in and out with temperature swings. Tape your ignition key to the top of the cap so you don't forget to tighten it before the first ride the following winter. That should prevent the tank from pressuring up and pushing oil into the engine. However, the check valves can develop weak springs or get stuck open also, if your having oil loss into engine between rides with the cap screwed down tight, consider changing those out.

Premium Features