• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil leak

P
Oct 15, 2019
Hello guys I just bought a 2013 Polaris 800 pro R with 1900 miles on it, the guy sold it to me with a aftermarket can on it, I unloaded the sled from my truck and started it up in my driveway for a few seconds and it started leaking ALOT of oil through the exhaust, I can’t seem to find the issue and I’m new to this as this is my first snowmobile, can anyone give me a hand on what’s going on? The sled was at a 11 o’clock angle as I was unloading it from my truck, could that be the issue that the oil was moving around from lifting it up and down from the truck?

Attachments

• 320CF5E6-F65B-4F06-8ECB-31FE39B0C6C1.jpeg
    320CF5E6-F65B-4F06-8ECB-31FE39B0C6C1.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 0491BEC2-2094-4755-B54B-0634E4C3CBF2.jpeg
    0491BEC2-2094-4755-B54B-0634E4C3CBF2.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 0F8EC276-B9E6-4D7F-A5CE-28CD61DAAAD0.jpeg
    0F8EC276-B9E6-4D7F-A5CE-28CD61DAAAD0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 7C1A2E61-5EDD-46D1-83E6-59B9CA813220.jpeg
    7C1A2E61-5EDD-46D1-83E6-59B9CA813220.jpeg
    981.4 KB · Views: 28

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
The problem is there are some check values in your oil line that are not working. Over the summer the oil leaks into the cylinder. You probably won’t have any issues until next summer, but it wouldn’t hurt to replace them.

P
Oct 15, 2019
The problem is there are some check values in your oil line that are not working. Over the summer the oil leaks into the cylinder. You probably won’t have any issues until next summer, but it wouldn’t hurt to replace them.

is there anything I should be concerned about? What should I do with all the oil spilling out the exhaust

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
When mine did it I just put it on a jack stand, and ran it until it was done. It will leak out the belly pan probably also. Park it on cardboard to make cleanup easier. After it clears out the system you won’t build up alot of oil in the cylinder unless it sits for more than a month without running. The hardest on it would have been when it was first started with the cylinder full of oil. People have bent the pushrods if it has electric start.

P
Oct 15, 2019
When mine did it I just put it on a jack stand, and ran it until it was done. It will leak out the belly pan probably also. Park it on cardboard to make cleanup easier. After it clears out the system you won’t build up alot of oil in the cylinder unless it sits for more than a month without running. The hardest on it would have been when it was first started with the cylinder full of oil. People have bent the pushrods if it has electric start.

I am not sure how long it sat i did not ask the guy but when i started it up at home and reversed it in my driveway all that oil came out as you see in the pictures, i got worried for a second as i know nothing about these things. So just start it up tommorow and let it run for a solid 20 minutes?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Don’t overheat it. But yes run it for awhile it will clear up. Do for a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Run it see what it does it will take a bite there was a lot of oil in the pipe. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Oct 15, 2019
Just ran the sled for a solid 5 minutes but the smoke was unbearable, the whole garage was smoking, I had to shut it off before someone called the fire department and said my garage was on fire.

P
Oct 15, 2019
Take it outside?? Or take it back to where you got it. They definitely were not upfront with you.

its pouring rain out that’s the only reason I started it up in the garage. Few drops of oil came out while running, I’m assuming the smoke is from last night and all that oil in the pipe.

J
Mar 8, 2019
For what it’s worth if I start my brand new alpha in my 2 car garage the whole thing is full of smoke and billowing out the doors too.

P
Oct 15, 2019
Appreciate the replies, I am very new to this, this is my first snowmobile I’m coming from riding 1000 cc’s crotch rockets. I know nothing about snowmobiles, I’m just trying to get some knowledge and make sure this sled isn’t broken. Making sure the oil leak and smoke are normal

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Appreciate the replies, I am very new to this, this is my first snowmobile I’m coming from riding 1000 cc’s crotch rockets. I know nothing about snowmobiles, I’m just trying to get some knowledge and make sure this sled isn’t broken. Making sure the oil leak and smoke are normal
It’s not normal, but I have seen a couple with the issue. I would still contact whoever you bought it from, and see why they were not upfront about it. They definitely can’t say they didn’t know about it, because it would have been a bitch to start this fall.

P
Oct 15, 2019
It’s not normal, but I have seen a couple with the issue. I would still contact whoever you bought it from, and see why they were not upfront about it. They definitely can’t say they didn’t know about it, because it would have been a bitch to start this fall.

The owner told me about the oil right away, he said that if I start the sled cold and idle it for a few seconds and shut it off he said oil would leak out, he said it’s a common issue with Polaris 800’s, he also mentioned the smoke, he said both of them would go away as the snowmobile got up to operating temps and was heated properly, when he started it in his garage it did the exact same thing, few drops of oil and it was super Smokey.

P
Oct 15, 2019
My issue is when giving the snowmobile throttle. i took it out the garage today and let it run for 10 min, Temp got to 115, tried to reverse it and oil spit out everywhere, its only doing it when giving it gas. When standing still only a few drops come out.

P
Oct 15, 2019
I’d put it on a stand and let it eat a couple times and clear it out.

I am going to give that a try and see if it clears out, ive talked to several people/friends with this snowmobile and none have had this issue, Atleast not this much oil that i am having.

Premium Features