• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much power does the 2020 Arctic cat Alpha make?? SEE HERE!

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Ok guys I use this forum for actaul results and people who understand what they are talking about. This thread was started with excellent info and now ****! For those of you that THINK you see rpm hit max rpm as soon as your WOT at any speed Your clutching is far from optimal. Take a course, reed a book or maybe try changing your clutching, or pull your power valves so you can see actaul changes in performance. Then come back with helpful information when you understand what makes a difference.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think the 2020 makes very similar power as the 18/19's.
Cat has figured out how to transfer more power to the snow than Doo and Poo for sure, that is how the underpowered 800 is beating the bigger cc's

Sent it

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Watching the video I noticed that they are not even logging the graph data until 6750 rpm. So if your clutch engages at ~4000 and max rpm is ~8000 rpm then the midrange would be ~6000 rpm? If that is the case, they didn't even include midrange power data on the dyno graph. This is because your clutching keeps the rpm up where the power is. It is all so dang obvious but, keep on with the insults in lieu of a decent rebuttal that actually explains how and why you think midrange power is so important. The dyno guys even skipped that part. LOL

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if max pull is at 8000, anything below that is your midrange bud. remember once you pull the trigger you're at max power? your logic.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Big 10
I agree with what you are say BUT, ride an xm vs. 850 or a Suzuki vs. Ctech. There is a difference down low or mid and their overall top numbers aren't that much different. It is a huge difference.

R
Feb 26, 2008
The highest percentage of time at wide open ive seen of any sled in the last ten years was 17%. Most are less than 8

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
I am currently working on a "update" to get past that annoying mid range. I figure I can re purpose the exhaust valve servo motor and just hook the cables up directly to the throttle body. I'll just remove the valves since they are of no use anyway. (weight savings) Then I'll install a small limit switch and relay so that when the flipper goes past 1/4" it sends a surge of electricity to the servo motor, cranking it all the way to full fuel instantly blasting past that unusable annoying mid range. I figure it will take some practice getting in and out of the trailer, but I'll manage. The sled deck is a different animal, maybe some sort of catch screen over the roof of my pickup to catch wayward snowmobiles.

F
Aug 18, 2013
I am currently working on a "update" to get past that annoying mid range. I figure I can re purpose the exhaust valve servo motor and just hook the cables up directly to the throttle body. I'll just remove the valves since they are of no use anyway. (weight savings) Then I'll install a small limit switch and relay so that when the flipper goes past 1/4" it sends a surge of electricity to the servo motor, cranking it all the way to full fuel instantly blasting past that unusable annoying mid range. I figure it will take some practice getting in and out of the trailer, but I'll manage. The sled deck is a different animal, maybe some sort of catch screen over the roof of my pickup to catch wayward snowmobiles.

When you’re done making the midrange delete kit for your cat can you make one for the skidoo 850? Imagine all the fuel we will save by skipping that annoying midrange. LOL

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The highest percentage of time at wide open ive seen of any sled in the last ten years was 17%. Most are less than 8

Thanks for MAKING my point. If nobody is ever at WOT then the dyno graph is a complete waste of time. You should make some part throttle runs and graph the midrange LOL We should do it for all the sled so you clowns can claim the greatest part throttle power in the midrange.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Big 10
I agree with what you are say BUT, ride an xm vs. 850 or a Suzuki vs. Ctech. There is a difference down low or mid and their overall top numbers aren't that much different. It is a huge difference.

I have done both of those comparisons. Personally I do not feel any difference that isn't clutching on the ctech vs zuk and the 850 doo has never impressed me and I have ridden several, and back to back with an XM. I do think power transfer has improved and clutching has improved and that is the midrange placebo you feel.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Personally I do not feel any difference that isn't clutching on the ctech vs zuk.

I hesitate even joining this thread, but getting a kick out of some of the comments.

I have a 16 and a 19. The 16 is basically a 18/19 with a zuk motor - dropped drive shaft, narrowed, and 18/19 clutches. Both have a TKI belt drive. There is a significant difference in the mid between the two. Once on top, not a lot. The 16 does also have a y-pipe and reeds (stock pipe w/ diamond s can) and it still does not touch the 19 with stock y and reeds (stock pipe w/ HPS can). From low to mid there is a big difference between the two motors. I spent a lot of time on both sleds last year. Not much more of an apples to apples comparison one could do. I guess the next step would be putting a zuk in a 18/19 chassis.

T
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks for MAKING my point. If nobody is ever at WOT then the dyno graph is a complete waste of time. You should make some part throttle runs and graph the midrange LOL We should do it for all the sled so you clowns can claim the greatest part throttle power in the midrange.
And then you realize top numbers are just for marketting and always sold machines even tho they sucked with a peaky powerband....you keep impressing me...

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I know some on here have gone to a 45 degree helix for 10k + riding. Maybe this little tweak in the motor will lessen the need? A little midrange boost to help with backshift. my experiences from playing with the helix, if you go too steep it will not pull out of the midrange very well. sluggish. Cat has done a good job making the sleds better every year, less tinkering needed.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
That’s funny Big10. Good point. I don’t agree with your clown ass but good point!

Premium Features