• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile Recommendations

E
Sep 19, 2019
Hi, Me and my dad are looking into getting into snowmobiling and we were wondering what kind of a sled we should get. We need something reliable and capable of riding on trails and powder we are also looking for something a bit older since our budget is quite tight around 1990 to 2000 I have seen lots of summits 600's and 700's are they any good? We aren't looking for anything crazy powerful but enough that we can have some fun Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
You should be able to find some edge rmk 700s for a pretty reasonable price. The liberty big block 700 and the 700 ves where bullet proof motors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Getting a reliable sled for $2000 is a total crap shoot. All of those sleds are getting to be 15-20 years old and finding decent reliable versions is going to be tough. You really need to step up your investment to about $3000-3500 per sled to achieve your stated goals IMO. You will almost certainly spend that much on a $2000 sled due to repairs from age and use. If you do not plan to ride much and do not wrenching during the week to ride on the weekend then maybe a $2000 sled works but in the end this plan will probably sour you on sleds because they are going to suck the fun right out of it keeping them running. Good Luck

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Getting a reliable sled for $2000 is a total crap shoot. All of those sleds are getting to be 15-20 years old and finding decent reliable versions is going to be tough. You really need to step up your investment to about $3000-3500 per sled to achieve your stated goals IMO. You will almost certainly spend that much on a $2000 sled due to repairs from age and use. If you do not plan to ride much and do not wrenching during the week to ride on the weekend then maybe a $2000 sled works but in the end this plan will probably sour you on sleds because they are going to suck the fun right out of it keeping them running. Good Luck
Not to mention that parts for older models are getting harder to find because many manufacturers have stopped making parts for them. Even used parts are harder to come by because the older stuff doesn't really sell anymore.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
What they said, but also depends where you ride, how far you have to drive to get there, how many hours or days you ride each time, the style of riding you want to do, etc.

Premium Features