• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tethers for 850

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Hope all are well and getting ready for an EARLY SNOWFALL ;)

Looking for any one with experience using the Magnetik Tether and the Teth-Air.
Not ready to spend $400 on the Phantom....
Appreciate any response!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I love the Cat magnetic tether... for sure better than the Pro Armor and Poo one. Though it would be nice to see an option from the aftermarket to mount it somewhere on the bars.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I get that you want to go cheap but they are not equal for sure. The Phantom Teth-Air also has the roll-over shutdown feature and is automatic. No hooking up and disconnecting all the time. This can be especially important if others may ride your sled like kids that may forget. It can also be much faster than a cord too. If you stand at the side of your sled and start it and the throttle is stuck full on, it can race away and won't even start slowing until it gets at least 3 feet away, when the cord unplugs. Try that in a trailer or on a sled deck! The Phantom has no time delay on start up and will shut down as soon as the track spins if your hand is not on the throttle side grip. If you go for a cord, use it 100% of the time, even when loading/unloading.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I get that you want to go cheap but they are not equal for sure. The Phantom Teth-Air also has the roll-over shutdown feature and is automatic. No hooking up and disconnecting all the time. This can be especially important if others may ride your sled like kids that may forget. It can also be much faster than a cord too. If you stand at the side of your sled and start it and the throttle is stuck full on, it can race away and won't even start slowing until it gets at least 3 feet away, when the cord unplugs. Try that in a trailer or on a sled deck! The Phantom has no time delay on start up and will shut down as soon as the track spins if your hand is not on the throttle side grip. If you go for a cord, use it 100% of the time, even when loading/unloading.
So my sled will die everytime I do this?

BC7B65B9-3222-44AB-9FDD-08DFD314E3CD.jpeg

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada

what happens if your throttle hand slips while riding, it kills the engine?
Or if you remove your hand from the thottle a second for a branch or something?

My polaris tether have been frozen half of the time

On a ride last year we have one guy start his sled near us talking and then hit a sled and a crashed into a tree not far. He stared his 850 and the throttle was stuck as soon as it fired up the sled when off flying but he stayed on it with his tether :D good thing no one was directly in from of him!

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So my sled will die everytime I do this?

View attachment 331965
Well, very good question. You will have your hands off the bar for less than 1 second with that stunt so I suggest you set up your time delay for 1.5 seconds when you ride. I usually ride with 0.5 seconds for both the laser and roll-over sensors.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
what happens if your throttle hand slips while riding, it kills the engine?
Or if you remove your hand from the thottle a second for a branch or something?

My polaris tether have been frozen half of the time

On a ride last year we have one guy start his sled near us talking and then hit a sled and a crashed into a tree not far. He stared his 850 and the throttle was stuck as soon as it fired up the sled when off flying but he stayed on it with his tether :D good thing no one was directly in from of him!

The time delay you choose eliminates this worry. The time delay does not take effect while starting though, for the reason of your example. The roll-over switch also does not activate if the sled is started tipped more than 90 degrees. It will however be re-activated when upright again for 20 seconds.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
We used the Pro-Armors, Polaris, Cat, and some other random tethers last year and previously.

I actually really liked the Cat magnetic tethers, paired with the adapter cord that is for sale on here. But... for simplicity and overall cost - we have gone back to the Polaris rubber cap tethers. Easy to get, cheap and when you know their limits and downsides, they work well.

The one we have tun the most, and had the worst luck with, are the Pro Armors. They regularly stick or take too long to kill the motor. We have also had the clips break due to the force needed to pull the "key" from the unit. The force needed can be quite high, especially if it gets pulled at an angle.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Hmmm!
I want to “go Cheap”!
Not the best way to lure customers....lol!
Understand everyone doesn’t have endless cash flow.
Enjoy your profits.....

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hmmm!
I want to “go Cheap”!
Enjoy your profits.....

Haha nice to see someone else recognizing that attitude.

“Consider yourself lucky I might allow you to give me 3x what it’s worth for a delicate finicky product”

“First you must acknowledge my greatness”

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I actually really liked the Cat magnetic tethers, paired with the adapter cord that is for sale on here. But... for simplicity and overall cost - we have gone back to the Polaris rubber cap tethers. Easy to get, cheap and when you know their limits and downsides, they work well.

What are their limits and downsides? Was thinking of adding a tether this year.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
What are their limits and downsides? Was thinking of adding a tether this year.
I ran one last year. Never had a single issue with it. Was the most reliable tether to date for me.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

TallCan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2016
Sierra Nevadas
I had a new Arctic Cat Magnetic Teather fail last year, AC isn’t willing to replace it so I’ll be switching back to OG Polaris Rubber Cap

C
Nov 29, 2008
I just use pwc style tethers ... generally work well (recommend to mount vertically) and are only $15.....

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
For anyone looking for tether options yet, tki has a kit that uses the cat magnetic tether and a mounting plate that locates it right at the top of steering post under the bar clamps. It comes with the plate, tether, and wiring so it is plug and play. I just bought it at haydays ($95) there for my new khaos.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Hmmm!
I want to “go Cheap”!
Enjoy your profits.....

I meant no disrespect, I have had guys pointedly say this to me. My frustration is that most guys will spend $200 on sunglasses, $1000 on sled gear, and they will spend $3k-$5k for a turbo and then tell me that they don't see the value in a good tether. If you have had good luck with a cord and have not found draw-backs with it for your style of riding, I won't say it is no good. Just please use it all the time because I hear the horror stories.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
1DC1E65F-B871-4C19-99E6-20AD89AE0EE6.jpegEEB044DD-F782-46E5-8117-EF492FB56A66.jpegA4C427F6-4E79-4BDE-A613-DD609942DDDC.jpeg
Here are couple pics. I looked on website and didn’t find it, must be something new he put together. It was bundled together as you see it at haydays sold as a kit. Tether, bracket, and harness. Might have to give him a call if your interested.

Premium Features