• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New forum format

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
what I would like to see is when you use the "new post" tab it pulls up all in order but you don't get the location it is posted IE (pro section) so you have no Idea what your getting into until you click on it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
what I would like to see is when you use the "new post" tab it pulls up all in order but you don't get the location it is posted IE (pro section) so you have no Idea what your getting into until you click on it.
that is EXACTLY what I see???????????
Each NEW unread thread/post WITH its parent Forum listed.

nodes.jpg

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Hey Christopher

Overall, I think a lot of the changes will be good. Shifting from vBulletin toe XenForo is a big change.

My feedback is the same as it was when I was invited to the preview last winter - dark backgrounds are a risky UI design choice that almost immediately remove a certain percentage of users from your population.

Every user has different tolerances for eye strain when using a dark background with lighter text. Some, like me admittedly, just can't do them . Others don't have a problem. It's not the look, I think it looks cool, it's that there is a threshold for being able to comfortably read on a dark background - and for a lot of people that threshold is really low, no matter how much they don't want it to be.

This is a big topic within UI design, and the reason that most major platforms default with a light background and dark text.

So..... if you are going to stick with the dark them, that is cool. But hopefully XenForo has the ability for you to add themes that the user can switch as desired.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I switched the format to white, and like it alot better. I think it should be the default color myself. For anyone not liking the dark format scroll to the bottom of the page, and on the left side you will see UI.X Pro Dark. Just tap it and choose light, and you are back to the white format.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Hey Christopher

Overall, I think a lot of the changes will be good. Shifting from vBulletin toe XenForo is a big change.

My feedback is the same as it was when I was invited to the preview last winter - dark backgrounds are a risky UI design choice that almost immediately remove a certain percentage of users from your population.

Every user has different tolerances for eye strain when using a dark background with lighter text. Some, like me admittedly, just can't do them . Others don't have a problem. It's not the look, I think it looks cool, it's that there is a threshold for being able to comfortably read on a dark background - and for a lot of people that threshold is really low, no matter how much they don't want it to be.

This is a big topic within UI design, and the reason that most major platforms default with a light background and dark text.

So..... if you are going to stick with the dark them, that is cool. But hopefully XenForo has the ability for you to add themes that the user can switch as desired.
If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and find where it says "UI.X Pro Dark (default)." Change that to UI.X Pro Light. This changes to the white background. ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am not seeing the parent forum listed. Why is the right 3rd go the page blank? Trying to like it. Not good at it yet.
The content you see on that colum will change depending on where you are in the forum.
Sometimes its EMPTY, othher times, at the upper levels of the forum tree, it will be chock full of content.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
you can toggle to white background from the brutal black background. i highly recommend it. you could also toggle off the shout box or what ever it was called. I highly recommend that too. You can remove the comment box. I highly recommend that too. Finally the cell phone version still appears to be a mess but maybe i just need more time with it. Too bad because i use the cell phone version mostly.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
it also appears as though you can minimize your "gift upgrade" info.........whatever that is supposed to be?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
So far as I can tell, the DARK vs. LIGHT seems to be an AGE related issue.
The younger the rider, the more they seem to prefer the DARK.
The older the rider, the more they prefer the LIGHT.

In the end, its VERY easy for me to Flip the entire Site to either DARK or LIGHT.
But I am not sure there is a way YET for the member to be able to make that change on their own.
If that is possible, rest assured I will implement it!!!

Members can change it from dark to light in the "settings" section. I must be old as I prefer the light.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
After Christopher added and changed some things lately, I like it a lot better now. And uploaded pics is way easier than before. Overall it's starting to take shape nicely

Premium Features