• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FE501 with Riot

R
Aug 14, 2019
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this.I haven't ridden a dirt bike in a lot of years, but i have been riding street bikes my whole life.

I'm thinking of the Husky FE 501 so it will be a bit more usable on the trails during the off season. I understand I would have to put some mods on to get the performance.

My question is. Would i be defeating the purpose of the nimbleness of the RIOT by going with a FE 501? Or would the ARO 129 be a better option.

I'm 6'4 220lb. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thank you for your help.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Great choice. ARO 129 for more of a mountain/adventure style rider...great kit, spent some time on one last year and that’s what I would buy. Riot for more of a play/ around type rider. Looks like a blast, but will give up a little in the “gotta make it” scenarios

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
500 with riot

I will be putting a riot on my 2013 KTM 500 that I have been riding as a snowbike since it was new. It will work great.

I plan on some shock re valve, so didn't go for the compression adjuster shocks, I have compression adjuster resevoirs in my shop from old cat racing shocks if I feel they are an improvement. I have run them on the shocks on my older TS kits and it was a good test to see if more compression resistance in the shocks improved traction/ride/playfulness.

the interesting thing about the Riot kit, early testers talked up the wheelie feature. The kit was never designed for this effect. The new suspension was designed to follow terrain ( the old two shock setups can't ), increasing traction as you go across terrain. The wheelie effect on the TS kits and most other two shock kit designs is very lacking because , when you gas it and feel like you ought to wheelie, you immediately loose traction as you begin to yank the front of the suspension out of the snow and right away experience a loss of traction,
meaning no lofting the front of the bike.

Then again, we shall see.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I will be putting a riot on my 2013 KTM 500 that I have been riding as a snowbike since it was new. It will work great.

I plan on some shock re valve, so didn't go for the compression adjuster shocks, I have compression adjuster resevoirs in my shop from old cat racing shocks if I feel they are an improvement. I have run them on the shocks on my older TS kits and it was a good test to see if more compression resistance in the shocks improved traction/ride/playfulness.

the interesting thing about the Riot kit, early testers talked up the wheelie feature. The kit was never designed for this effect. The new suspension was designed to follow terrain ( the old two shock setups can't ), increasing traction as you go across terrain. The wheelie effect on the TS kits and most other two shock kit designs is very lacking because , when you gas it and feel like you ought to wheelie, you immediately loose traction as you begin to yank the front of the suspension out of the snow and right away experience a loss of traction,
meaning no lofting the front of the bike.

Then again, we shall see.

CMX is fully uncoupled which does the same thing but is a proven design... If your theory is correct why did they only make a 120?

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
why............corporate indecision, Pol. wants to see how the new rear suspension works in all conditions on all kinds of bikes. Same old story as 40 years of snowmobile and bike evolution, if they work, no more ARO. We shall see.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
is there a Timbersled fit kit for the 2020 FE501?
I don't see one listed. However, I do see them for the 2020 FE350, all the 450s and most of the 2 strokes. They have them listed for all the 2020 KTMs, but the 500s have a PDS shock, not a linkage

Premium Features