• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Put a deposit on this truck $28K 59K miles

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
3a3d6be8-1654-4d46-b0bb-aaad77f75654-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Shipping cost $1200 open carrier or fly drive back (food gas hotels) 1600 miles cost the same.

Which would you do?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Handful of smallish things to check/change and you'll be great, many of them discussed in this thread, get connected with a couple of knowledgeable LBZ owners and you'll be well prepped. If you haven't changed the fuel filter in a pre-L5P before, you'll want to get prepped, strap wrench, WIF sensor wrench, extra bleed screws, etc. Get a darted access panel for the inner wheel well liner. Get a technique for seating the filter o-ring. You'll get so good at install that you will simply be able to easily do it by through the liner by feel in 10 minutes, including prime. LBZ fuel rails and injectors like clean fuel. If they can't tell you when the last fuel filter was changed, do it soon. Run Transynd in the Allison, and nothing else.

You don't need to remove the wheel liner or create an access panel for the LBZ. You can easily reach down through the engine with a filter wrench and remove the fuel filter. LMM's and up do require the wheel liner removed (or access panel).

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
This is true. I've changed many of fuel filters on my lbz on the side of the road and in parking lots in the middle of winter when they first started blending bio diesel with winter fuel around here. When it got extremely cold the bio diesel would clog the fuel filter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Check out a one way car rental. More time, but if you have access to a program or hit a need, you can get some great deals. I rent +50 days a year for business, and have gotten some great deals.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
This is true. I've changed many of fuel filters on my lbz on the side of the road and in parking lots in the middle of winter when they first started blending bio diesel with winter fuel around here. When it got extremely cold the bio diesel would clog the fuel filter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Taking off, NP. Getting a new one popped over the inlet seal without jacking with the external o-ring was much easier for me with a liner panel. I went to a 50w Wolverine filter heater wrap on a cabin switch after a couple of BP gels towing on the road in 07, never had an issue again. For those new to the GM - the GM filter head is heated but thermostat controlled, and can gel even if the motor is hot when the temp drops (maybe around -25F) and no winter front. Avoid towing heavy on a LLY and LBZ with a winter front on if you have stock intake - it can air starve.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Some good advice in here so far regarding fuel filter door (I hated doing it without the liner removed) and the winter front/towing recommendation. Watch your IAT temps!

Also, put those tail lights in the nearest trash receptacle. :face-icon-small-ton

If that is a 5" exhaust (it appears to be) get ready for the DRONE at 75mph. It goes away at 82 though ;)

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Road trip!

Polaris

Never been to Shreveport. Taking the boss.

If we fly to Shreveport it would cost almost $800 with a 3 hour stop over in Dallas and another 1.5 hours on the plane from Dallas.

If we fly to Dallas its $420 and a rental car is $35 … so land at Dallas get the rental unlimited miles. Go to Shreveport get the truck. Drive back to Dallas drop off the rental!

We are gonna take the southern route because family in Texas and Arizona would let us spend the night.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Some good advice in here so far regarding fuel filter door (I hated doing it without the liner removed) and the winter front/towing recommendation. Watch your IAT temps!

Also, put those tail lights in the nearest trash receptacle. :face-icon-small-ton

If that is a 5" exhaust (it appears to be) get ready for the DRONE at 75mph. It goes away at 82 though ;)

The DRONE?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The DRONE?
Exhaust noise.

I had a 96 powerstroke with a 3in down pipe and 4in back. Kit came with a glasspack type muffler. The exhaust 'drone' was horrible cruising down the hwy.
I removed the muffler and it went away.
Straight pipe exhaust had one hell of a 'crackle' when getting on it or towing but there was no 'drone'.
Polaris

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Check out a one way car rental. More time, but if you have access to a program or hit a need, you can get some great deals. I rent +50 days a year for business, and have gotten some great deals.

LAX to DFW. Rental $40 for the day return to DFW. If I drop off at SHV it cost $175! So rent drive and come back drop off at DFW whence it came.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Returned home last night. Truck performed well but no longer 58,xxx miles on it. :face-icon-small-ton

Did over 10 fuel stops playing with the EDGE programmer with 5 codes.

Best mileage was 22+ MPG for about 400 miles at night flat ground using 5 extreme ( Allison / Duramax 2500hd crew 4wd 3.73 rear 285/55/20 tires )

Averaged 19 MPG whole 1550 plus miles.

Only issue was a black truck in the desert at 112F going 75 with the AC on the tranny started to get hot from 140 to almost 200 after 3 plus hours driving. Pulled over and could have cooked stake on the roof of the cab. So pulled into a town and washed all the bugs out of the radiators ! Temp back to 140.

Fuel gage took a while to register full tank keeping the truck running.

Rear end got noisy tires and gears after 5 plus hours but ended if we pulled over for just a few minutes. Did not get noisy on hill climbs.

Wife drives a 06 Cadi escalade with almost the identical interior and wish she had this truck instead !!!!

Last edited:
Premium Features