• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is locktite required on head bolts

Jul 8, 2019
Got the fix kit for 08 800 and dont know if it required locktite or not.I've never cared for locktite cause I've had volts break and threads pull but if it's required then I'll do it.just checking before I put it all together.also is there anything specific I need to watch out for when rebuilding it or anything important need done becides ring end gap.thanks

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
No locktite is not required but I always put a little bit of black silicone or case sealant around the bottom part of the bolt head.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jul 8, 2019
Haha it'll be put together right.just gotta wait til I can have time to do it.even though it's a "lemon" I will probably only ride it 5 times a year so dont really care if I only get 1000miles out of a top end

Jul 8, 2019
Just got it all back together last night.started on the second pull.**** it down and it wouldn't start.fouled the plugs.cleaned them and it started. With half a pull. Just waiting on a arms,shock tower,running boards,seat pedestal and the bar's on inside of engine bay to get back from powder coating.went dragons blood for the color.getting black cherry pearl paint next week.polished the tunnel and gotta say.less than $1000 into it and it looks like it's gonna be a bad ass sled

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
What did you go with for boards? I put a set of pro boards on an 09 I had. Big improvement over stock boards. I also installed a pro rmk skid, track and shocks in it that was also a big improvement.
4fbbd49d647fae01049fbbb5ae6b26c5.jpg

Jul 8, 2019
That's a nice looking sled! I just drilled out the rivets and took the metal bar on outside of running boards off as they were chipped and rusted up.may have to find a set of the pro boards tho cause those look like they would keep snow from building up.either those or some of those "wrp" I thinks the name snow eliminators.trying to keep this project cheap lol

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Just seen a set of raw aluminum pro boards for $100.00. I have a set of black ones that I've been thinking about selling but they would be more than $100. I had to make a small bracket for the front mount otherwise the install was pretty simple.

Jul 8, 2019
That's actually a lot cheaper than I was expecting.I got a brother in law that will powdercoat anything for cheap.I have him $50 for all the stuff I am having him do.also did the spindles jet black.I assume whatever I decide to do for the boards I'll have them done as well.we will see when I get them back how good they look.do they help quite a bit over these stock ones and is the install pretty much the same as the airframes?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
They help stiffen up the tunnel and they dont hold as much snow. When I cut the existing running board off I left about an inch then used the pro boards for a template for cutting out the rest.

Premium Features