• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you ride with your teather?

Tether?

• Ride with Tether cord

Votes: 111 39.6%
  • Ride with it sometimes

Votes: 74 26.4%
  • What's a tether cord?

Votes: 95 33.9%

• Total voters

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
So the Teth Air must be like the security system on my Harley Ultra Limited. The key fob activates the system, and when you get like 50 feet away from it, it won't run.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Funny you say that because a Yamaha dealer in Saskatchewan (hardest province to spell but easiest to draw) is buying them for turbos as the insurance provider will not insure turbos unless a imobilization device is installed. Thanks Robertson Yamaha!:D

R
Jan 9, 2011
Take an old style cord and clip it to the exsisting cord, then make a choke loop and slide over wrist. Can't get any easier to use, lots of length, never accidently pulls off.

E
Feb 1, 2011
Minnesota
Good posts. I have never worn mine on my snowmobiles. I always wear mine in my bass boat as the concept is a little different, engine in gear, idling, or wot without a hotfoot.
I've always figured on a sled its not needed. If I fall off it will coast to a stop. The stuck throttle is an option I have almost forgot about. I thought most snowmobiles have a sensor that can detect throttle sticking or something and retard it off.
What got my attention is a couple of the stories told here about a snowmobile flipping upside down and opening the throttle and the guy sliding into it or being pinned under it. That got me thinking

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Good posts. I have never worn mine on my snowmobiles. I always wear mine in my bass boat as the concept is a little different, engine in gear, idling, or wot without a hotfoot.
I've always figured on a sled its not needed. If I fall off it will coast to a stop. The stuck throttle is an option I have almost forgot about. I thought most snowmobiles have a sensor that can detect throttle sticking or something and retard it off.
What got my attention is a couple of the stories told here about a snowmobile flipping upside down and opening the throttle and the guy sliding into it or being pinned under it. That got me thinking

The throttle safety switch does not know the difference between a thumb pushing the throttle or snow jammed under it unless it rocks over to activate the switch.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Do you ride with your teather cord attached to your jacket or do you leave it on the sled twisted up? Whats your reason for your answer?

Last ride I rode with a Tether.One between my A arms and buddys rear bumper

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Never had one on my last sled, think went upside down and pinned the throttle had to roll it over with the track ripping to get it shut off. New one has one so I figure its there might as well wear it. Doesn't hurt anything and its not in the way.

C
Apr 12, 2009
Liberty Lake, WA
I got back and forth but I really should. A few years back got bucked grabbed a hand of throttle as my leg went into the track...had I had my tether on I wouldn't have a plate in my ankle.

Some friends of mine switched to these, seem to work really nice. Thinking of doing the same.

PROARM_Kill_Switch.jpg

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/PRO-ARMOR-PRO-SERIES-KILL-SWITCH/?id=110310

Glad you like it! I designed that kill switch back in '04.

I ride with my tether, but being 6'4", that damn thing is always getting wrapped up on my bars when boondocking. I will have to try the wrist thing, but that Teth-Air looks like the answer.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Any tether, corded or wireless is a good idea. There are some advantages with the wireless.

Firstly it is automatic, anytime you start the sled, it is "hooked up" with the cord, you (or your forgetful teenager) must consiously take the cord and attach it.

Secondly you must disconnect the cord evertime you move away from your machine. The Teth-Air simply shuts down the motor when you walk away and if started by someone else, it shuts off within 1 second.

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Always wear it

I use a 2" dia. key ring on the end of my backpack buckle strap. This makes a large target for my teather, on which I have a medium sized caribiner. Both caribiner and ring are large enough to operate with gloved hands, and the key ring since it is on the end of the strap is visible with helmet on. (belly is not in the way) You are more apt to use something if you make it easier to use. I have had moisture and connectivity problems with xp chipped teather, so chipped end is left sealed.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I have been riding with a pro armour tether for 4 years and reallyl ike it. Never had a issue with it yet. I ride Doo but the plastic ears on the Doo tether scare me. Last weekend we were riding and when we rolled a suck sled the snow would engage the electric start button and start the sled upside down. It happen several times. Needless to say all of my buddies had there tethers on before the end of the day. One guy almost got his arm in the track when we rolled it over and the snow grab the throttle after the snow started it. Definitely a scary situation. Always ride with a tether. Just like wearing my beacon and air bag. Never leave the trailer without it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I finally put a tether on mine a few months back, just a generic rubber plug type, and it was one of the easiest things I've done to my sled. Not a Doo, but I have a pigtail right behind the ignition switch – unfortunately not the same type as the tether, but all I had to do was pull the spade terminals out. Granted, the horror stories aren't a strong likelihood, but there are enough that I'm not comfortable saying "not gonna happen to me." I found the best place to clip it to is the bottom main zipper on my snow pants (yup, right down there). Can't say I've done enough riding to say "never," but so far it hasn't gotten tangled and/or shut off when it shouldn't have.

I think we're all big boys though, so make your own risk decisions here. Just like a helmet though, it can only work for you when you use it, and you never know when you'll need it. One of the worst spills I took was Christmas morning several years back. I was just going to tool around on some fresh snow for a half hour or so – I took off and somehow managed to tag a culvert just fifty feet from where I was parked. Pretzeled a trailing arm and I flew over the front. Was an easy fix on the sled – might not have been so easy for me if I hadn't been wearing my helmet.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The latest Cordless Teth-Air is now known as the Laser Phantom Teth-Air. It also has the roll over protection so if you get pinned under your sled it will shut down. This condition has happened way more often than the sled running away at full throttle.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The latest Cordless Teth-Air is now known as the Laser Phantom Teth-Air. It also has the roll over protection so if you get pinned under your sled it will shut down. This condition has happened way more often than the sled running away at full throttle.
Is the Teth-air plug and play?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Is the Teth-air plug and play?

100% for the Polaris and Cat but only 99% for the Ski-Doo as they do not have a tether plug for us to plug in to. For the G4 you need to connect one wire to the black/yellow wire of the kill switch. We provide a good quality Scotch-lock connector for that or you can skin the wire and solder. You do not lose the function of the stock tether if you wan't to just use that as a security key.

The other wiring just plugs into the OEM harness as does for Polaris and newer Cats.

Chris

T
Nov 11, 2022
Alberta
i never did till a friend fell off and the sled landed on the left side with the left hand throttle wide open and he was under the track. The track burned a deep grove in his helmet and into his neck mm away from the main vain almost died and now a massive scar to remember it. Think about it it it only takes a second to put it on
I know this is from twelve years ago but wow, that would be scary.

I came across this thread because the one on my 2013 M800 isn't working (won't kill the engine.)

T
Nov 11, 2022
Alberta
With the new fuel injected sleds i think it is even more inportant due to the fact that they can run upside down just as well .
Back when the RXL came out with FI a fellow was going down a hill that was icy and sled got out of control and pitched him.
The sled went down the hill upside down with him sliding after it. When the sled stopped he landed feet first into the sled with one leg getting picked up between the track and the tunnel.
Sled was wide open as throttle was pinched open with the way everything went.
So this sled had paddles and ran wide open with his leg in tunnel and burnt his leg off.
You get the picture,not nice. I wasn't there but sled with the fellow from time to time and he only has one leg and rides well.
The people that were there at the time will tell you it wasn't nice sitting waiting for the chopper and the smell was sickening.
Just something to think about?
That's even more horrifying than the earlier story.

Premium Features