• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultimax xs belt less rpm, how to adjust?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There are so many people with great luck on the Gates belts that it makes me wonder what is going on with your sled if another brand is also giving you problems ... but your stock belt is good.

Do you still have the stock belt and have you ran it again since you have had problems with both of these aftermarket belts??

Which Gates belt part number did you run on your axys?
Which Ultimax belt part number are you trying to run?
What stock belt part number did you run 8300 with ?

These are sincere questions... there are many on here that would like to help you with your question. Answering these questions will give those of us reading this post more info to figure this out with you.

Also, are you running completely stock primary/secondary clutching (weights/springs/helix)... and are you on stock gearing.

What sled, exactly are you running and with what track??

Last edited:

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
There are so many people with great luck on the Gates belts that it makes me wonder what is going on with your sled if another brand is also giving you problems ... but your stock belt is good.

Do you still have the stock belt and have you ran it again since you have had problems with both of these aftermarket belts??

Which Gates belt part number did you run on your axys?
Which Ultimax belt part number are you trying to run?
What stock belt part number did you run 8300 with ?

These are sincere questions... there are many on here that would like to help you with your question. Answering these questions will give those of us reading this post more info to figure this out with you.

Also, are you running completely stock primary/secondary clutching (weights/springs/helix)... and are you on stock gearing.

What sled, exactly are you running and with what track??

Stock 2018 pro rmk 163 3”.

Ultimax xs826 (even their engineer said in the video the rpms will drop, so its just a weight issue I believe)

Gates 45C4553 G-force

Polaris belt 3211183

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Whats ur point?? Because the ones they run didn’t fail that means its impossible mine did? Jesus its just not that herd of a concept to realize they can have defects.

How many 850 threads are about dead on the mtn etc.. how many top guys have said the same.. NONE.. does that mean everyone with a 850 failure is making it up??

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
They run gates because they are cheapasses. The belts last because the ride like possies. The sleds are trailer queens no doubt. I mean, even the snowblower is waxed and polished ffs. There's no way this crew hits anything hard except for Mcdonalds.
Now post a vid of these snow gods in action. Sw will judge if these superheros ride hard. Peace.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You have no idea who’s shop this is. And if you think they are a bunch of pussies, your wrong. Come ride with them for a week. They are a bunch of wood ticks.
This is a pic of “my shop” at my cabin. I don’t take kindly to your post.
Yep, your right, every thing gets cleaned every night. We don’t treat our sleds or maintain them like ****spreaders.
That orange sled is my ‘18 that was on engine number 4 last year.
Trailer queens....
Now if your being facetious, that’s another story. But I still take offense.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Sorry Tony, did not mean to drag you into this. Especially not in this way.

My point is.... maybe you have issues with one belt, maybe. Then you come on and chirp that Gates is junk. How after one belt do you call Gates junk and no mechanical investigation on your part??? I have yet to see a Gates do what yours did if it’s not self inflicted.

The point of the picture was... here is a group of guys that test, try and abuse everything. Nothing in that shop is safe, from being modified or altered to get it running better. They have tested every belt and found the Gates to be durable and a performance gain. It has NOTHING to do with money. Why are you opposite and having problems.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
It’s fine Justin. Not you fault.
I get a little ruffled when someone calls me a ***** or a trailer queen.
picture.php

Some of them on a “no seat Sunday”

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You have no idea who’s shop this is. And if you think they are a bunch of pussies, your wrong. Come ride with them for a week. They are a bunch of wood ticks.
This is a pic of “my shop” at my cabin. I don’t take kindly to your post.
Yep, your right, every thing gets cleaned every night. We don’t treat our sleds or maintain them like ****spreaders.
That orange sled is my ‘18 that was on engine number 4 last year.
Trailer queens....
Now if your being facetious, that’s another story. But I still take offense.

Don’t feed the troll tony.

He likes it too much.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
I know first hand a team that tested the hell out of gates belt and had exact same problems.. bad batch?? Maybe, that hapoens also..

Also, I said junky BELT.. i didnt said the entire company of line of belts is junk. If its so inportant to change offset then the belt should specify that.. do they?? Nope, so I shouldnt have to make offset adjustments to avoid a belt chunking.

We clearly agree to disagree, which is cool, I dont mind.. but im not on board with your train of thought that its impossible that I have or had a bad belt. Ive put close to same miles on ultimax belt, no chunking.. more than that on polaris belt, no chunking..

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I know first hand a team that tested the hell out of gates belt and had exact same problems.. bad batch?? Maybe, that hapoens also..

Also, I said junky BELT.. i didnt said the entire company of line of belts is junk. If its so inportant to change offset then the belt should specify that.. do they?? Nope, so I shouldnt have to make offset adjustments to avoid a belt chunking.

We clearly agree to disagree, which is cool, I dont mind.. but im not on board with your train of thought that its impossible that I have or had a bad belt. Ive put close to same miles on ultimax belt, no chunking.. more than that on polaris belt, no chunking..

Have you even checked your offset? Was the gates belt folded up before you put it on? It sounds like you already know everything so not sure why you came on here asking.

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Lots of us run Gates belts (myself included), and you're not going to get far calling yours junky when you haven't swapped it for a replacement, haven't checked alignment, but have lost 250 RPM. Maybe the Ultimax is a great belt too, but apparently it needs some help to perform. Even if it couldn't match the Gates in terms of performance, it might be worthwhile to some if it did prove more abuse-tolerant, but that's pie in the sky at this point. Even assuming it would live in sleds that tended to eat other belts, that doesn't mean the other belts are "junky."

You may have received a faulty belt, but I'd say it's either that or your clutch setup, given the number of people successfully running the same belt. How often do people complain about "junk" belts when it's actually junk clutches and/or alignment? Whatever belt you decide to run, I'd recommend getting in the habit of checking things over regularly. Plenty of new sleds come with poor clutch setup, and even if they come set perfectly, they still need regular attention to stay that way. Guarantee my 17-year-old 600 specs out better than any sled on the showroom floor; that's because I set it that way, I look things several times per season, and I replace parts as they wear.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
Kalispell, MT
its a new sled, so nope, dont need to check on those..

I'll bet you $1000 your offset is off. Like stated before, the stock belts are more tolerant to misalignment. This topic on the Gates belts has been beat to death on this forum for like 3 years now.

As to your original question, if you want more RPM, use lighter clutch weights or stiffer springs.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I run Gates belts. I chunked 2 of them this last season, but it was entirely due to sucky Silber turbo clutching. I get horrible performance with the Poo belt too. Sled detonates constantly. Must be the belt.....not. The Gates belt rocks, but I'm still leaving a lot on the table. It's TRS or Indy Dan's clutching for me next season.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Man after the past 3 days, I needed this thread. I’m still laughing. Too many reactions to list them all.

I’ll guarantee Tory is correct. Offset is off on this new sled or the junk belt didn’t get broken in correct.

Every single NEW Polaris I have checked since 2013 has been way off. Way off. And the stock belt will withstand it.

Either PI Isnt using their own tool. Or they are using the incorrect tool.

Carry on.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Man after the past 3 days, I needed this thread. I’m still laughing. Too many reactions to list them all.

I’ll guarantee Tory is correct. Offset is off on this new sled or the junk belt didn’t get broken in correct.

Every single NEW Polaris I have checked since 2013 has been way off. Way off. And the stock belt will withstand it.

Either PI Isnt using their own tool. Or they are using the incorrect tool.

Carry on.

How many dollars do you think Polaris saves by not adding the appropriate spacers along with one less action or employee for all these years.
Now with that said, think about how many more belts they sell because belt life has been shortened, significantly.
My source claims Polaris sold over $3,000,000 worth of belts last year.
Polaris generated another income stream through manufacturing a non correctable center to center and leadin adjustment. Sleds are outside their published spec.
It is a manufactured issue that cannot be remedied with out machining. A dealer cannot cure it.

Premium Features