• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching at 9000 feet

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The wear pattern is a bit odd. How many miles on clutch?
Recommend clutch rebuild. Take pics, take your time and you will be just fine.
Go for it!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
The wear pattern is a bit odd. How many miles on clutch?
Recommend clutch rebuild. Take pics, take your time and you will be just fine.
Go for it!

1260 on the clutch and sled, I cleaned them frequently.

I am going to go for it. Other than pulling the clutch anything special as far as specialty tools.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
After owning 3 Axys sleds since 16 I'm convinced that some are stronger than others. I've chased my tail quite a bit on the rpm issue. I agree that your clutch needs rebuilt before you do anything else. But, I've found at 9000 ft you may have to go down to 60 or 62 grams. New belt can also make a 200 rpm difference. I feel like you're leaving some perfomance and track speed on the table at 8150. I like 8300 for this motor.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
After owning 3 Axys sleds since 16 I'm convinced that some are stronger than others. I've chased my tail quite a bit on the rpm issue. I agree that your clutch needs rebuilt before you do anything else. But, I've found at 9000 ft you may have to go down to 60 or 62 grams. New belt can also make a 200 rpm difference. I feel like you're leaving some perfomance and track speed on the table at 8150. I like 8300 for this motor.

That is my thought process. I agree with all the dudes above and need to start out with everything fresh. If not I was gunna try 62s.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
1260 on the clutch and sled, I cleaned them frequently.

I am going to go for it. Other than pulling the clutch anything special as far as specialty tools.
A weight bushing removal/install tool.
Tool from thunder products.
A sheave/cover bushing removal/install tool punch thingy.
These tools will make it easier and almost fun!

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
A weight bushing removal/install tool.
Tool from thunder products.
A sheave/cover bushing removal/install tool punch thingy.
These tools will make it easier and almost fun!

Lol good technical descriptions.

Turns out for my sled in spring snow needs 62's. Thats what the dealer said when I was asking for parts and I guess that info is in a Polaris service bulletin.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Dont just drop weight, id bet you $100 bucks that if you got your primary rebuilt you'd easily pull 64's no problem right now. I've been down this road numerous times, dropped weight, stiffer springs etc. It bandaids it but a few more miles and you suddenly wont pull 62's as the worn items are only getting worse.

My sled was a little low on rpm 2 rides ago, associated it with the major swing to warmer temps. went out riding tuesday after work. 8000 rpm and falling off, unable to hold rpm etc. Get home, tear it down, roller bushings are wrecked on 2 posts and 1 roller has been dragging and has a flat spot.

A p85 on an axy generally needs service every 1k miles. Sooner if your harder on things, longer if you do a lot of trail cruising. But once you start to see rpm falling off even with new belts, weight bushings and roller bushings are all probably about shot and the shifting/peak rpm is just not going to be there.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Dont just drop weight, id bet you $100 bucks that if you got your primary rebuilt you'd easily pull 64's no problem right now. I've been down this road numerous times, dropped weight, stiffer springs etc. It bandaids it but a few more miles and you suddenly wont pull 62's as the worn items are only getting worse.

My sled was a little low on rpm 2 rides ago, associated it with the major swing to warmer temps. went out riding tuesday after work. 8000 rpm and falling off, unable to hold rpm etc. Get home, tear it down, roller bushings are wrecked on 2 posts and 1 roller has been dragging and has a flat spot.

A p85 on an axy generally needs service every 1k miles. Sooner if your harder on things, longer if you do a lot of trail cruising. But once you start to see rpm falling off even with new belts, weight bushings and roller bushings are all probably about shot and the shifting/peak rpm is just not going to be there.

I am going to take your advice on this, and start fresh with 64's. But I thought I would add what I found out. They are sending sleds out new with 62's in spring.

I just gotta get all the tools now....

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I looked at them before. They only show SxS stuff. Are the rollers interchangeable? They also show buttons and secondary rollers. There stuff looks strong and well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Don was going to send me a set of rollers. That didn’t happen. I called him again without a response.
I would really like to try them.

Premium Features