• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RACER 220 WHERE ARE YOU?!

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
:face-icon-small-con My son is going to do some hillclimbs. Got some questions about track screws and tunnel protectors. Do you not install screws in the paddles where they would hit the protector or is the protector sacrificial/just in case you bottom out. Installed a lot of studs but never cut down a track and installed screws. Protectors are 1"x1" aluminum. Any help is appreciated.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
back when the world cooled and we raced.. we did not put screws where the track may come into contact with the tunnel protectors... we found when you bottomed out it pulled the screws and trashed stuff... We did add as many screws as possible as allowed by rules... and scratch lines did not seem to be as important... but we still tried to avoid duplicating scratch lines. Good luck!

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Sorry, been living under a rock lately haha :spider:

I'm with Plumnuts, I typically try not to put screws down the same line the protectors run down the tunnel. In fact, I have actually left a 'tab' of sorts by not cutting the lug all the way across so it hits the tunnel protector at the same height as the screws. Giving it the extra 1/4" of room has helped keep the tunnel virtually unmarked vs cutting the lug straight across. I'll try to get a pic so you can make sense of what I just describe.

I need to get the tapatalk app or whatever goes on the phone. Ever since I changed jobs my life on the forums has been depleted. Gladly help with anything I can though.

racer

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Thanks for the input guys. I'm lagging behind also, LOL. The track is cut, and everything else is ready to go. Leaving Sunday 3-15 for a week + of practice and testing. Union Pass, then to Alpine and Jackson Wed. before the Hillclimb. Gonna get our feet wet in the amateur class this year and see where it goes. Hoping to qualify and get to run the hill Friday. Look for Team Storm Racing, 383, we'll take all the help we can get!

FUNCTION IS BEAUTY!

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Hey!! Craziest thing ever coming across this archived thread haha...

Turns out you guys figured out the game pretty dang good. It's been fun watching all the new racers on the circuit. I wish I was involved like I used to be but it has been fun to still get around and help here and there. Good luck this season......if it ever starts lol!!!!

racer220

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Thanks. It has been a successful venture. Kids having shoulder surgery soon, so not running this season. Looking forward to coming back next season.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Thanks. It has been a successful venture. Kids having shoulder surgery soon, so not running this season. Looking forward to coming back next season.

This a bad time to bring this back? Going to try and get a run going for jackson.
Hopefully all goes well. Good luck on the return!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope i won't be the only one bringing some "old iron" Tempted to toss some 700 dragon jugs in my pro or figure out a big bore to keep it close to the new 900 mod class? With all thats going on in the world, some time on the hill is in order!

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
I don’t think there’s anything to keep you from running other than the government at this point lol. We’ve talked about coming back in a few years. The 2021 schedule looks really good at this point if everything can stay in order. And we need snow bad!!! I’ll prob be watching Afton and Jackson and hope to be back in the pits or helping on the course for Pebble and Targhee

Premium Features