• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AVALANCHE DANGER HIGH

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
Most people have not taken any avalanche training classes. I have tried to get people to come to the free avalanche class that Skidoo puts on and most are to busy to show up. I now have a much smaller group of people that I ride with. If you do not have avalanche equipment or do not know how to work your beacon I am not going to ride with you.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I don't know why people do this. First off it is never safe for 2 people to be climbing the same hill at once. How hard is it to wait to ensure 2 people are not buried. Second why are they even climbing in HIGH AVY danger? Sad how many people are dying this year.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46486109/crews-searching-for-southern-utah-snowmobiler-lost-in-avalanche?fbclid=IwAR3FVzJpX7X5t3QAjsoZgd5oKWDD11MVgpx3NOwrQwiMgfUm7NOEtMgwbm4

this was a fast dog find. only took 3 minutes once the dog got on scene. the recco detected the sled and the rider was only 20 feet down slope. had a transceiver been involved the riding partner would have been able to recover or rescue that day.

the la sals slide the rider had a transceiver in the off positing in a backpack. the dog found the victim 150' upslope from the sled. had a transceiver been worn and in the on position there might have been another outcome.

the gear is only part of the equation. it can fail and is subject to mechanical failure and peoples ability to use it correctly. a better option is, as stated by missy, to limit exposure. for those with high risk tolerance that may mean one on the slope at a time. to those of us that have seen a few bad things in life, that means avoiding the higher risks. for me, that means staying off and out from under slopes steeper than about 32 degrees when we have unstable faceted snowpacks. staying off 35-40 degree slopes when we have new snow instabilities on a given aspect is a good way to limit exposure with storm slabs in our intercontinental snowpack. we can play safe in even considerable and high danger by modifying our behaviors. the UAC does an excellent job of spelling it out for us. the problem is that some still don't get the message and of those that do, false negatives cloud our real time decision making. think about how many times we get away with riding a questionable slope. that modifies your behavior in the future and not for the better.

when your perception closely matches the reality of what is going on, most people make good decisions. the problem is that perception is quite subjective and at the whim of so many other variables that we don't always understand.

condolences to those that lost love ones and i hope that our snowpack will settle down for safe travel for those that recreate there.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Another death in Utah yesterday! Very very sad!!

Comments are located https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/44217

"A 49 year old male was riding with his 14 year old son and a family friend. The 49 year old was climbing a steep chute... third of fourth attempt when avy breaks 500 yards wide with 8 foot crown. Gentleman buried 4'-5' deep near bottom of slide and about 10 feet above his sled. He had a beacon and friend had a beacon but not skilled at its use. No probes or shovels. Survivors began digging with their hands in the wrong location when an outside group of two arrives with shovels and begins digging, ultimately finding the buried rider. DPS heli dispatched, locates the scene, transports the man to Evanston Regional where he passes away shortly after arrival."

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I don’t understand why people head to the steep hills especially when the danger is so high. Stick to the trees! Prayers go out to the families hurting right now.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Another death in Utah yesterday! Very very sad!!

Comments are located https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/44217

"A 49 year old male was riding with his 14 year old son and a family friend. The 49 year old was climbing a steep chute... third of fourth attempt when avy breaks 500 yards wide with 8 foot crown. Gentleman buried 4'-5' deep near bottom of slide and about 10 feet above his sled. He had a beacon and friend had a beacon but not skilled at its use. No probes or shovels. Survivors began digging with their hands in the wrong location when an outside group of two arrives with shovels and begins digging, ultimately finding the buried rider. DPS heli dispatched, locates the scene, transports the man to Evanston Regional where he passes away shortly after arrival."
The video that goes with this one........:(:(:(

Got a little misty eyed on that one.

STAY SAFE OUT THERE!!

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Great link with the UAC video. Sad to watch, but it's a brutal, eye opening reality of what can happen out there. Gonna share this with another site., maybe save a life or two if it instills a respect for the high country

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I don't know why people do this. First off it is never safe for 2 people to be climbing the same hill at once. How hard is it to wait to ensure 2 people are not buried. Second why are they even climbing in HIGH AVY danger? Sad how many people are dying this year.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46486109/crews-searching-for-southern-utah-snowmobiler-lost-in-avalanche?fbclid=IwAR3FVzJpX7X5t3QAjsoZgd5oKWDD11MVgpx3NOwrQwiMgfUm7NOEtMgwbm4

UAC said these guys were sitting near the bottom of the bowl, NOT climbing.

Premium Features