• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Silber turbo

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Kinda late to the show here, but after 6 pages and nobody has said you guys are nuts for not running an A/F gauge.?.?
I’m not a huge knowledgeable turbo guy, but for a 2 stroke turbo you have 3 steps, which step 2+3 get repeated till she’s dialled.
1. Boost (whatever the end user wants 5-10)
2. A/F mixture (11.5-12.3, 11.8 being magic)
3. Clutching

That A/F gauge will tell you if you are too fat on a hard WOT pull, 10 seconds or longer. If your richer than 11.5 on WOT, you may have big problems down low, and I don’t think it would be turbo related.

Last edited:
W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Kinda late to the show here, but after 6 pages and nobody has said you guys are nuts for not running an A/F gauge.?.?
I’m not a huge knowledgeable turbo guy, but for a 2 stroke turbo you have 3 steps, which step 2+3 get repeated till she’s dialled.
1. Boost (whatever the end user wants 5-10)
2. A/F mixture (11.5-12.3, 11.8 being magic)
3. Clutching

That A/F gauge will tell you if you are too fat on a hard WOT pull, 10 seconds or longer. If your richer than 11.5 on WOT, you may have big problems down low, and I don’t think it would be turbo related.

All true, but there’s no adjustment with a Silber kit. So, we’re at his mercy for providing a fix to the bog.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Lots of people told me to call Colon from cycles and sleds. Well I did and bought there full kit and sled ran so much better. So glad i called them. No bog, no lag, and power for days. Lets hope it stays that way thru the rest of the season

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Lots of people told me to call Colon from cycles and sleds. Well I did and bought there full kit and sled ran so much better. So glad i called them. No bog, no lag, and power for days. Lets hope it stays that way thru the rest of the season

What does the kit consist of and how much?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I sprung for the full kit. Primary and secondary springs, weights, bov, boost t and gauge. Cost was $1,100.

Kinda lame you have to spend another $1100 on a kit to make it run correctly.

Did some testing on my waste gate actuator a couple days ago and it was set up pretty tight. With a pressure pump/gage hooked up to it takes almost 8lbs of pressure to open it. Which is consistent to what I'm seeing on my boost gage when Im riding. Loosened up the arm two full turns to where it would open at about 4-5lbs, but still have enough pressure to keep the flapper shut. Rode it yesterday and its not near as much fun to ride at 5lbs of boost as opposed to 8lbs. Played with my manual boost controller a bit while on our ride and adjusted boost from 5-10lbs. 10lbs is a freaking riot, a complete monster of a sled! Was running 4 gal of 110 in my 91 pump gas and would hit the set sensor if I stayed on it too long at 10lbs, but super fun to try. Ran it most of the day at 6lbs.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
The bov, boost t, and gauge was completely optional on my part. The clutching I figured I would need to replace anyways. I ride a lot of trees and wanted the bov. The silber kit is about 1k less than almost everyone else. So, my attitude is this. I forget all about the money when I'm out there in over the hood deep snow smiling from ear to ear under my helmet thinking this is freaking awesome.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
What weights did he send in the kit?
The kit was magnetic inserts. Empty they are 68 or 70 grams. Can load up to 90 I think. I ride from 8000 to 12000 I'm using 76grams right now. Just turned yo the boost and was told I could get 8600 rpms

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So that primary spring change still working out for softening the bottom end feel?

Yes, the 120 start rate still working good at lower boost levels (4-6lbs). Start getting to the 8-10lbs and not so much. I mostly ride at 6lbs so its pretty manageable and barely noticable.

717 bren

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 18, 2017
" The 717 "
I dropped to 71.3g in my 18 MC and it really helped also . Got my engagement rpm up to 3350 only have 1.8g in the heel hole of Venom weights

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Supposedly there is a new flash that is supposed to make the silber alpha run perfect. Local dealer is testing it tomorrow to make sure before i flash mine.

Premium Features