• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha stock helix

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Been having some back shift issues on my my alpha the last few rides out. I don’t remember it being like this earlier in the season, but snow conditions have changed. So I bought a new helix to try. When I pulled my secondary clutch apart I noticed the roller on one side was jammed and stuck between the two angles. The first 1/2 of roller travel was fine until the roller got up between the two angles, then it would jam and stick. So stuck I had a hard time getting the roller out. I’ve had a lot of team secondaries apart and the roller has always just lifted out easily. I had replaced the spring at about 160 miles and it came out easily. Now with 450 miles it’s quite stuck. Can’t find any damage to the helix at all. My guess is that’s what has been screwing with my back shift.

First pic. This is where the roller starts to stick, and gets way worse as it shifts out. Roller should glide smoothly up and down the ramp.
Second pic. Roller shouldn’t touch this side. Mine has pretty good wear marks.
Third pic. Helix with a lot of miles on it. Zero wear markets, roller doesn’t touch

I’m guessing that if there is one bad helix there are probably more. So if your up or back shift starts getting worse, something worth checking.

CBA7CA21-0374-4C16-A56F-E827A4A9AECD.jpeg BD2C3E76-0F66-4BD8-AE39-BBAFEEE5F8CE.jpeg 0A72678E-D3E9-42AC-A815-F3EAB7DFE7AE.jpeg

Last edited:
U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I just had mine apart last night changing springs and noticed the same thing except mine was tight on both sides, Not very impressed with this design of a secondary.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
venom makes a harder roller for this application, i believe. think bdx rock rollers for the diamond drive secondaries. i think that is what venom is doing, to the team boss, in the new chassis. Ski

Last edited:

therookie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
I recently changed the helix on my clutch and found the same thing. Only 300 miles on sled. Had to remove roller to get out of helix. Installed a 45 degree Dalton helix, and no binding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I just had mine apart last night changing springs and noticed the same thing except mine was tight on both sides, Not very impressed with this design of a secondary.
The secondary sux. You are correct.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I was able to hold the helix down on the bench with one hand and use a wooden hammer handle to bend the ramp back enough to get the rollers by, likely dont have the angle correct but will get me going until my new one gets here.

I'm no superman anymore so if i can hold it and bend it without a vice i'm thinking these stock helix's are super soft.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
So, the helix is changing shape....
Why?
How are the aftermarket helix holding up?

I'm not sure if it's changing shape or just not right from the beginning.

I noticed the same thing, didn't think to much of it at the time, the rollers hanging up a bit when I took out the stock helix before the first trip. I put MDS weights and a 45 degree helix on before the sled ever touched the hills. Worked great the first two trips. Then before our third trip, I put the stock 48 helix back on. I just wanted to see if I could notice a difference and damn was that a mistake. It was pretty clear it was getting hung up. The sled would backshift ok at times and then at other times it would not backshift at all. Was not consist at all, fine one second then crap the next. That night I put the 45 degree helix back on in the hotel room, the next two days were awesome. Adjusted the weights a bit to pull the correct RPMs and the sled ripped. But wow was day 1 miserable. I was super confusing why a 3 degree change in helix would have that much of an effect. But after seeing this post I'm seeing some clarity. I'm certain mine was never right from the get go. Have about 270 miles on the Dalton 45 helix now and it's working great. I was running a different 45 degree helix on the 16 and after maybe 400 miles the inner orange bushing (same as the stock bushing) was trashed.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Is anyone reporting this back to their dealers so they can get word back to Cat? They'll never fix it unless complaints are coming up the food chain.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
It was pretty clear it was getting hung up. The sled would backshift ok at times and then at other times it would not backshift at all. Was not consist at all, fine one second then crap the next. That night I put the 45 degree helix back on in the hotel room, the next two days were awesome. Adjusted the weights a bit to pull the correct RPMs and the sled ripped.

This is exactly how my alpha was. Thought the invonsistsnt backshift was just changing snow conditions. Thought a different angle helix might help so I bought one.

I’ve been meaning to take my helix in to the dealer and see if I can warranty claim.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My 18 started acting like this after 700mi.
Had the dealer look it over @ 960mi and they told me is was my exhaust valves and i was running the wrong oil.
I told them i pulled the valves at 800mi and they didn't need to be cleaned.

I believe it was the helix after reading this thread.....

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’m a big guy, 6’4” 275 RTR and prolly 15-20lbs of great on the tunnel. I am up to 75PSI on the ski shocks. Using setting 1 and 2 now for the most part. This much air def raises the front end a bit. Really like that. Sled is less divey but I didn’t think it was terrible to begin with. When it starts to dive throttle helps too. The skis generate more pressure even when going just a little faster. I think my sweet spot is going to be 70Lbs on normal days and 75-80lbs on deep days. Sled turns better on the trail, in the tight single track trails and pretty much everywhere lol.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I’m a big guy, 6’4” 275 RTR and prolly 15-20lbs of great on the tunnel. I am up to 75PSI on the ski shocks. Using setting 1 and 2 now for the most part. This much air def raises the front end a bit. Really like that. Sled is less divey but I didn’t think it was terrible to begin with. When it starts to dive throttle helps too. The skis generate more pressure even when going just a little faster. I think my sweet spot is going to be 70Lbs on normal days and 75-80lbs on deep days. Sled turns better on the trail, in the tight single track trails and pretty much everywhere lol.

Cool! How's your helix?:face-icon-small-hap

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Rode with the new helix today. Wow, so much better. Instant backshift like it used to have. Went in to the dealer and showed them my faulty helix. They took pics and sent in to cat. Ill see if they will warranty it.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Rode with the new helix today. Wow, so much better. Instant backshift like it used to have. Went in to the dealer and showed them my faulty helix. They took pics and sent in to cat. Ill see if they will warranty it.

What helix did you get?

Premium Features